Adding third row to sportwagen

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Looking into adding a third row. I won’t need it very often, but it hurts not having the option. My wife and I have six kids. One car holds everybody, the sportwagen obviously doesn’t. There’s a company called lottlecsrsests but they’ve recently gone out of business. Has anyone else done something like this?

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Never a sport wagon but Added a reverse facing seat to an old van once.

Anything is probably going to require some fabrication and creativity. One way is to find a wagon that came with reverse seat from the factory and then retrofit into GSW.

Or another thing that comes to mind is just use a rear jeep seat, seatbelts and jeep qick release brackets . Huge aftermarket availability
maybe remove spair tire for legroom .

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I’ll look into those. It’s not something that would be used regularly at all. Just would be nice to have in a pinch.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My wife had a '95 Audi A6 Avant with a rear facing seat. At least it's within VAG, and those cars are getting old. Still, the A6 was a large and wide car. It was great when our son was very young. He loved riding in the back and waving at the folks behind us.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
It’s 2018. If it’s not a OEM third seat properly installed. Why would you put your kids in it ?
It has amazed me for over 20 years, on the job walking up to MVA’s . How people DO NOT properly restrain their children.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Looking into adding a third row. I won’t need it very often, but it hurts not having the option. My wife and I have six kids. One car holds everybody, the sportwagen obviously doesn’t. There’s a company called lottlecsrsests but they’ve recently gone out of business. Has anyone else done something like this?

..........IMHO

........ No chance in heck

........ State and Federal laws

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I think the rear seats have three sets of belts. Maybe you can build just one rear facing seat yourself for the shortest member of the family... It would have to be a SHORT seat. Any standard car seat will be too high, even if you remove the spare tire cover and flat surface support. That rear deck is way above the front-facing rear seats, and even the metal floor is well above their mounts. Maybe a partially recumbant diagonal seat back there? Custom.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Dub. I don’t usually get too involved around here. Today is Saturday Jan 6th, 2018.
1) K.C. Chocked today in playoffs.
2) your third seat idea ain’t too far behind.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Well if the seats aren't OEM and DOT approved and all that safety stuff, I imagine that you might not need the third row for very long. Darwin and all that...

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Yes, but that's a Passat, which has a lot more room back there... With properly engineered, DOT approved attachment points.
Was just putting a picture for informational reasons. I too think the OP is nuts for even thinking of adding a 3rd row to a GSW.

And just for clarity, it's my C5 A6 Allroad, not a B5/5.5 Passat.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Bought a new suburban. Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys. Would have been nice to have the option for thebliteral twice a hear I might need it but now I’ve got s suburban which is the new everybody car.