1992 Golf TDI....Final Pics!!!!

Jason Crabtree

Veteran Member
Hi Everyone,

Well here is the moment you have all been waiting for, some final pics of my TDI swap.

Alas, these pictures don't do the car justice. I am very happy with the final result. It is such an awesome colour. Wave/or honk if you see it around!!! These were taken with fading light and a weak battery. I will try and get some more high quality ones but first I need to wash it again. The Wett chip gets the rear all sooty.

Enjoy!!

J.

[This message has been edited by Jason Crabtree (edited October 09, 2000).]

GTDi

Very cool work, keep us informed with all the news, with pics...

Alex VW Golf2 GTDi +- like your´s

Skippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon Blue
Man.. great work, that the intercooler under the scoop???
Great job and great car... Where you from in Ontario, cause if i ever go up there i will have to pay you a visit to check that beauty up close!!!!!

------------------
UPsoluted Silver/Black Golf 2k GLS
My TDI

[This message has been edited by tdi_pwr (edited October 10, 2000).]

JRTTDI

Veteran Member
That´s a man´s machine! Performance specs? Thanks! P.S.-if Quick Silver sees you he´ll salute you!

------------------
Golf IV TDI PD
BBS RC 7.5X16 Bridgestone S02 PP 205/55ZR16

vwnut84

Veteran Member
TDI
1982 Rabbit Diesel LS - 1991 Jetta Coupe 1Z tdi
all I can say is.........

wow...cool....(wipes up drool from mouth)

That is one good looking Dub, it is missing something....I think that a new style chrome TDI badge on the rear where the "golf" used to be would look good. give us some proformance specs!

------------------
Chris - "There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I erased that line"
1985 diesel Jetta 315,000miles
1981 diesel Jetta Just brought out of hibernation after 3 years - 137,000miles and $150

Real Volkswagens don't have power anything...

Sprockets

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
All I can say is amazing!

Even that kid playing ball can't help but stop and stare! But, it's what's inside that counts!

I truly commend you on this. It is amazing.

Habs

WOW!!!! This car is absolutly fantastic...

Great job!!!

One question: Is this the intercooler from the TDI or is an aftermarket one???

------------------
JP de la belle province de Québec
Jetta 95 GL 2.0L
H&R/Boge setup, Neuspeed struts tie bar, Neuspeed P-Chip, K&N air filter.
Some mods will come later

Brendan

Drool...
that's all I could say when I saw your ride.
How much did the swap cost you? 'Cause I have a mk1 Jetta that I want to perform a TDI transplant on and I'm wondering where to start. Would it be similar to a mk2 conversion? I would love to get in touch if you have some advice/technical tips. Once again: drool...

------------------
'82 jetta diesel (soon to be TDI)

Jason Crabtree

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the compliements.

Brendan: seach the site for my previous posts. There are about 3 that have descriptions and pictures. Search under "conversion" or something like that. It can be likened to dropping a VR6 into the A2 chassis.

To answer addition ?'s:
Yes, that is the stock TDI intercooler fed by the hood scoop. Seems to work quite nicely. I know it feeds air as I find the odd leaf or two on top of the intercooler.

As far as performance goes, I can do 0-60 in 9 seconds flat. I was hoping for better but need to figure out best shift points and to get used to the drive by wire set up. This was timed via stopwatch and using the speedo. I am unsure of how accurate the speedo is, sometimes I feel that it is a little fast (and other times slow). It is a 98 so no VNT mod, just the Wett chip. Still waiting for the downpipe. It does feel a lot quicker than 9 seconds though. Not sure of top speed, but have had it up to 160 km/h. Handles like a dream though and brakes like a banshee.

The biggest thing is that is smokes like a chimney. The recent GTG in Orangeville can attest to that
. It is a pain to keep clean.

J.

p.s. Location K/W area.

TDI Envy

Veteran Member
You really have to see this thing "in the metal" to get the full effect. It's a really well done conversion and the paint is gorgeous!

Don't know if it's all worth it but it's a unique piece of art.

------------------
2001 Golf GL, 5 speed
Indigo

SSmmmokin!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My compliments on a classy, first class job. It comes out very clean, almost understated.

Great job, Jason, you deserve all the kudos you are getting from this!

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

dhh72

WOW.... gives me hope that I can squeeze a TDi into my A1 chassis that I have.

Congrats on getting it on the road. Looks amazing and probably goes like stink(pun intended).

------------------
David
Formerly 1975 Peugeot 504 GLD w/1985 505TD engine, 5 spd, gone, but still running
Currently 1997 Jetta GLX VR6, Garret v.ll, GTI 5 spoke rims
1983 Rabbit GTI(new project)

diesel des

Veteran Member
Cooool paint work Jason. I also have my A2 tdi finished I am just trying to get it to make good power now. I am at about 140-150 bhp, but I want 170+. Keep us informed of how it drives. I love the mid rage grunt mine has, and then there id the 45MPG when driving it like a rally car.

S

SkyPup

Most excellent, the outside finish is very attractive, plus hardly anyone knows that your running a TDI under the hood either. Way to go on this project, I am certain you are happy now!

Infernoken

I see you have a 90HP version built in, is it already chipped, or is it still stock (except for the cone and scorpion outlet)
What power does this nice beast deliver?

Congratz,
and keep up the good work!!!

Infernoken

Jason Crabtree

Veteran Member
Well so far things are going well. The engine bay needs a damn good clean and the car needs a wash so I can inspect the body work and do some touch ups. I made the decision to run it in the winter so I must deal with the consequences. This isn't a show car (didn't win the lottery so can't afford to do that). The interior still needs to be completed which will be a spring job as it is too cold out.

This car hauls and I love it. Has a nice vibration to it at idle (although my better half doesn't like it). Since I only drive it the odd week night and on weekends, I'm still getting used to actually driving it but I smile every time I drive it and the fuel economy is icing on the cake.

The VR6 chin spoiler has a couple scrapes on in but is holding up. A little low and entering/exiting car parks must be taken with care.

A run down of non-standard equipment:
2.5" Scorpion twin DTM tip cat-back exhaust
Wett chip
11" front brakes (RPI Wilwood kit)
rear disc conversion (with cross drilled - overkill. love it
)
25mm ABD front sway
28mm ABD rear sway
Neuspeed front strut brace
Hella blue rear lights
Euro fenders with blue side light
RPI twin 7" front euro lights
JOM badgeless grill
SWG grill spoiler
VR6 Chin spoiler
RPI K&N air filter and custom heatshield
Poly bushings on the front control arms and rear strut towers
Boge turbogas shocks
Eibach springs
Beesting antenna
M3 repilca mirrors (with a cool blue tint)
15" VW Passat rims with snows
15" TSW Hock R's with 195/50 Pirreli P-700 (summer)
Oil: Mobile Delvac 1
Fuel: Sunoco diesel with Amsoil cetane boost & fuel conditioner (thanks Andy)
Jazz Blue paint
Alarm

Things to come:
2.5" down pipe (details to follow)

Things I want but can't get due to morgage (grrrr.):
Upsolute tuning box (help Tazz out)
Quaife LSD
sachs power clutch kit

Things I would do if I won the lottery:
Remove engine and paint engine bay jazz blue as well.
Roll cage
A3 dash

That is pretty much it. I will be doing a sping cleaning (remove intercooler & plumbing to see how oily and need to replace dash bulbs) and hopefully put on a 2.5" downpipe. Have toyed with Upsolute chips, but right now no $$$. Donations gladly accepted.

Most work was done @ Ron's Parts (RPI) 604-944-0494. Thanks to Dustan, Andy, Warren and most of all Grame
Paint & Body work: Walkerton Auto Collision (Randy & Paul)

Thanks
J.

I will keep you posted.

VWBoost

Veteran Member
Wow thats a sweet car! I'd love to see it in person, but i'm on the left coast.

------------------
2001 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
That is one nice TDI! How hard was it to drop the TDI in there? Is it fairly easy or is there a lot of fabrication? And what about the transmission? Are you using the TDI trans or stock MK2 trans? I found a 1985 Jetta Diesel locally and had the idea of dropping in a TDI. Any help and/or website leads would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna_BE_TDI

TDI
'91 GOLF Gti red
Nice Car! I was thiking of doing the same to my '91 Gti. Do you have info on how you did all of that. Where did you get the parts? (scoop) How expensive?

Any information on the conversion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan