noise while driving

Stan B

TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI
It started about a year ago I think after TB got changed. When the car is in motion it is rather very loud inside. It is less noisy at speeds above 60. Both front axles got changed with zero change in the noise amount, transmission is in good condition I believe.

Strange thing is that while turning right the noise goes away completely but comes right back as wheels are straiten.

I would appreciate any suggestions, really got tired of the noise. :confused:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Stan B said:
It started about a year ago I think after TB got changed. When the car is in motion it is rather very loud inside. It is less noisy at speeds above 60. Both front axles got changed with zero change in the noise amount, transmission is in good condition I believe.

Strange thing is that while turning right the noise goes away completely but comes right back as wheels are straiten.

I would appreciate any suggestions, really got tired of the noise. :confused:
It could be as simple as uneven wear/balance on the tires. I went through the same thing earlier this year replacing bearings that didn't need replacing. No change in noise. Rotated tires and the noise got worse. Put tires back where they started and noise diminished. Took new spare out and slipped it on the front wheel where I thought the noise was coming from... sound gone. If you have a newish spare it's worth the time to switch it out to see if you have a bad tire on of your wheels. My noise started at about 50K of wear on a 60K rated tire. "Thump" starts at about 15 mph and disappears over 60 mph so I figure I'll live with it until I replace all four in another 5K.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
I'll bet the Timing Belt end motor mount is bound-up. When the mount was removed to change the belt, it was retightened with the lift still on the engine.

Loosen the motor mount, shake the engine firmly by hand, and retighten. Those bolts may be stretch bolts, in which case they need to be replaced when you do this.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
The Shootist said:
I'll bet the Timing Belt end motor mount is bound-up. When the mount was removed to change the belt, it was retightened with the lift still on the engine.

Loosen the motor mount, shake the engine firmly by hand, and retighten. Those bolts may be stretch bolts, in which case they need to be replaced when you do this.
they are TTY so need to be replaced if loosened up :)