Diesel Prices Summer 2012

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Except for a spike in mid-November, and then a dip in late December, diesel prices have been fairly constant since August... and actually, since last May, when they fell from an early-spring spike.

So it is no wonder that diesel-price threads often tend to wander off-topic. Diesel prices are boring.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Wow, I guess it's all relative, but I would gladly pay what some of you deem to be high D2 prices (low fours??? crazy talk!), last I checked most stations are pricing at around 4.399, however I believe i did see that one of the busier Chevrons had D2 at 4.509. So it's a matter of time before the others follow suit.
Ah, $4.399 IS in the "low fours". If you want to pay higher, just come down to the CPR.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Here are a couple things for certain:

1. High fuel prices mean that there will be a change in leadership in November;
2. High fuel prices mean everything from food, clothing, goods will be more expensive;
3. High fuel prices mean that families will not be taking vacations since everything will increase in price;
4. High fuel prices mean that more businesses will fail, since people will have less disposable income to devote to things other then fuel;
5. High fuel prices mean that fuel thefts will increase.

High fuel prices are the fault of our government and the people who continue to choose to vote for idiots without substance. Ask yourself when was the last time any candidate for any party put forth any serious energy plan? What is distressing is the people who think that high fuel prices somehow are a good thing, whether that be for:(A) to get the retards to stop driving crappy cars/trucks that get crappy mpg; (B) that it will somehow force someone to comply with their way of thinking/living; (C) that it will somehow force an energy policy of their choosing to occur. You are wrong. It hurts everyone (see above how).
The one I like and look forward to is: higher prices force the clueless, dumbest in our society to take notice of the real cost of their waste.

And if the price stays high enough long enough to make these cluesless idiots take note they will replace their fuel waster with a gas sipper, we all will better off for this.

I would like to vote for a politician that will actually tell america the truth, The fact that we are responsible for the mess we are in energy wise. We as a country through the bad choices we have made over the years to abandon our energy policy in 1985 and when it comes to the wasteful vehicles we still assume we can afford to drive when we can't.

The dribble coming from the right is almost laughable if it wasn't so terrifing to think one of those crazy's might actually win the job. Their utter and complete fallacies of that we don't need healthcare reform and somehow magically we can have $2.50 a gal gas in lunicy........

This crazieness reminds me of that teaparty retard that proclaimed during the healthcare debate with all censarity,

:confused: "keep you gooberment hands off of my medicare"?WT**????????????:confused:

If you want to have a test to see who is qualified to vote ask one of these clueless fools, why are they so eager to take government assistance like this then proclaim how wrong it is to give such assistance...........

Most of these stupid idiots don't even realize their medicare, foodstamps, ect.......... are government assistance..........

My observation is........ :(home schooling at it's best:rolleyes:.

If any politician tells americans the truth that the only way to have less expensive energy is to waste less of it in our everyday lives like a few have done the right turns them into the anti-christ, Lucifer, boogie man or woman, you fill in the blank.........

Most of us here have gotten that message that we have control over what happens to us when the price spikes at the pump like it is today. I myslef have chosen to never own or drive anything that couldn't get at lest the low 30s to well above 50 mpgUS. So these price spikes when they inevutably happen have little effect on my budget but sadly 95-98 % of americans still have not.

And unless the republicans majically come up with a real canidate before the election the current pres. is going to win in a landslide.........they seem to running a race of who wants to be the road kill the week.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
The real root of the problem is education....or lack of it.

The media just follows the flavor of the day or week...and 90% of them are not very impartial, thorough, or truthful.

Most people, no matter what country you live in, just believe the propaganda that the media pumps at them all day long.
Then you have the schools....where most of the teachers push their agenda rather than teach everyone to look at all sides of a situation before deciding "for themselves" what's what.

Everyone is basically told what to believe...and are taught to blindly believe what they are told. And taught to ridicule anyone who has the opposite opinion of the "accepted" views.:mad:

Even when I was a kid I was aware of this.

Had a substitute Social Studies teacher come in for a week once in Grade 10. He was normally the superintendent for the schools in our area. He was teaching us about the American war of independance...with a twist. He told us that the American's would hide in the woods and attack the British soldiers in ambushes...and how cowardly that was. Then said that the American's got a taste of their own medicine in Vietnam.
I was no expert on those wars...but I knew enough. Enough to make my blood boil...still does.:mad:

Most of the teachers I had through the years weren't this bad...but they weren't great either. Only a very small handful had their heads on right.

So...

We have teachers teaching the kids how to be robots..and what to think instead of how to think.

We have the media feeding misinformation and specific leading info to all the robots who eat it up and spout it out like it's their own thoughts.

And then there are the Politicians who use the media, and are lead by the media. Reinforcing the "accepted" views, or creating new ones...to get the votes that they need to stay in power, climb the ladder some more, or make some money.
Any who try to be good get trashed by the media on every little thing they can find...while the media raises up those that spout the accepted rhetoric on pestles no matter what terrible things they may be doing or have done.

I don't see the media getting their act together and becoming truly objective any time soon.
Or the teachers...or the politicians.

It's like a snake eating it's own tail.

It's truly amazing that things aren't worse than they are. But it's annoying to know that things could be so much better too.

OKay....getting off my soapbox now.:eek:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Agreed

:)

And well put!

Unfortunately, we have many of those types here on our forum. :(
Notice I am not naming anyone and that's good because they would not agree with me.

So we just allow them to rant on and on and they do and it is all a waste of words.

Thanks for your excellent post! :cool:

:D

Derrel

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had a substitute Social Studies teacher come in for a week once in Grade 10. He was normally the superintendent for the schools in our area. He was teaching us about the American war of independance...with a twist. He told us that the American's would hide in the woods and attack the British soldiers in ambushes...and how cowardly that was. Then said that the American's got a taste of their own medicine in Vietnam.
I was no expert on those wars...but I knew enough. Enough to make my blood boil...still does.:mad:

Well, TECHNICALLY, Canada WAS on the British side in that little contretemps so I can see his view. Should have asked him about the Battle of the Thames in 1813. :D

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
"He told us that the American's would hide in the woods and attack the British soldiers in ambushes...and how cowardly that was."
Old Native American war trick. Smart of those patriots to appropriate that paradigm.

I love the diversity these fuel discussions bring out...we are living through the end of oil days believe it or not...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

The media just follows the flavor of the day or week...and 90% of them are not very impartial, thorough, or truthful.

Most people, no matter what country you live in, just believe the propaganda that the media pumps at them all day long.
Then you have the schools....where most of the teachers push their agenda rather than teach everyone to look at all sides of a situation before deciding "for themselves" what's what.

Everyone is basically told what to believe...and are taught to blindly believe what they are told. And taught to ridicule anyone who has the opposite opinion of the "accepted" views.:mad:

Most of the teachers I had through the years weren't this bad...but they weren't great either. Only a very small handful had their heads on right.

So...

We have teachers teaching the kids how to be robots..and what to think instead of how to think.

We have the media feeding misinformation and specific leading info to all the robots who eat it up and spout it out like it's their own thoughts.

And then there are the Politicians who use the media, and are lead by the media. Reinforcing the "accepted" views, or creating new ones...to get the votes that they need to stay in power, climb the ladder some more, or make some money.
Any who try to be good get trashed by the media on every little thing they can find...while the media raises up those that spout the accepted rhetoric on pestles no matter what terrible things they may be doing or have done.

I don't see the media getting their act together and becoming truly objective any time soon.

It's truly amazing that things aren't worse than they are. But it's annoying to know that things could be so much better too.

I was going to cut and paste a few comments but decided it was better to get them all out. First of all, let me say that I agree with most of your points but here are the ones I have to clarify.

First: As the parent of a first year teacher and spouse of a teacher assistant, I have to point out that most teachers are not allowed to teach. The administration dictates what and how they will conduct the classroom. Heaven forbid that anyone deviates from that point. If the teachers were allowed to actually teach as they see fit, then US and Canada would still be on the top of the world for education.

Second: the accepted way of warfare during the American Revolution was to approach the battle field in rank and file. You lined up and marched towards your enemy until you were close enough to do maximum damage. A good musket had about a 25 yard effective kill range. Rifles could be accurate up to 125 yards. I for one would have much rather been behind a tree, rock wall, building... Firing my weapon instead of out in the open field. The other thing that changed in the war was that the revolutionary soldiers figured out that if they shot the officers first, the British troops could not function. This became the primary reason behind not putting rank insignia on the uniforms during WOrld War 2. It was also why enlisted men were taught not to salute. So did we change how battles were fought and perhaps unfairly change the "rules" of warfare? You bet!

scarr89

TDI
Mk4 Golf 150PD
Christ alive, you guys do not how good you have it! I pay ~£1.50 ~ $2.37 dollars PER LITRE of Shell V Power diesel! A litre to you chaps is...0.264 of a US gallon, working that out in cost terms I would pay ~£5.68 PER Gallon which is just a little of $9...Treat your selves while you can!

Oh, and the UK tax duty is about to rise along with car tax...FML

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$9/gallon would be a real game changer in the US. I can't even imagine...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Business's going bust? Or just people thinking more about a car to drive?
Yes, and Yes. Fuel prices that high would probably at least double the price of everything; groceries, clothing, energy, etc. (Well, not SUVs and trucks; they'd probably not be worth a Continental dollar)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This crazieness reminds me of that teaparty retard that proclaimed during the healthcare debate with all censarity,

:confused: "keep you gooberment hands off of my medicare"?WT**????????????:confused:

If you want to have a test to see who is qualified to vote ask one of these clueless fools, why are they so eager to take government assistance like this then proclaim how wrong it is to give such assistance...........

Most of these stupid idiots don't even realize their medicare, foodstamps, ect.......... are government assistance..........
Actually, many of them believe that they have paid for Social Security and Medicare, because taxes for these programs have been deducted from their paychecks for decades.

They are not aware that these programs are running enormous long-term deficits, but then nearly all seniors either don't know or don't care about how these programs affect the budget. That includes seniors who vote for Democrat politicians, too.

Also, the politicians would object to the term "assistance", considering it a loaded word.

The tea party movement has helped to educate a lot of people about the looming budget debacle, or at least those who have been willing to learn. Trillion-dollar deficits as far as the eyes can see are simply intolerable.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So...

Blame the universities, because they're the ones who indoctrinated the young people who earned their teaching certificates.

I taught for one year without a credential, but if I wanted a credential this is what I would have needed:

Single Subjects Preliminary Credential Program (SB 2042)

Required Courses in the Professional Sequence

Prerequisite Courses

Course # Course Title Units
ED 451 Introduction to Multicultural Education 3
TE 280 Health Education for Teachers 1
SPED 450 Classroom Adaptations for Special Populations 2
Total Units 6

Required Courses

Course # Course Title Units
TE 922 Behavioral and Psychological Aspects of Teaching 3
TE 903 Secondary School Student Teaching Seminar 2
TE 903 Secondary School Student Teaching Methods 1-2
TE 914 Teaching and Learning in Content Area 3
TE 933 Teaching Reading in the Secondary Schools 3
TE 954 Humanistic and Social Aspects of Teaching 3
TE 963 Secondary School Student Teaching I 4
TE 964 Secondary School Student Teaching II 8-12
ED 970/TE 496 PACT Support Course 3
EDTEC 470 Technologies for Teaching 3
PLC 915B Teaching in the Content Areas: ELD/SDAIE 3
Total Units 48 or 49
I took the main prerequisite course and then gave up. It would have taken at least 4 semesters to complete the entire syllabus, and I would not have been a good candidate for their indoctrination. I could have used a few courses on the nuts-and-bolts of teaching, especially how to maintain control of a classroom; but I already knew what I wanted to teach and most of these courses would have been a total waste of time and money.

So that is why I am not a teacher, and why your kids are not learning what they are should learn, but what the education establishment thinks they ought to learn. Becoming good citizens is not part of the curriculum.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How much of a game changer? You lot love your massive V8 etc don't you :D
Business's going bust? Or just people thinking more about a car to drive?
I do love my massive V8, thanks for asking. I also love commuting in one of the two Jettas. :p

For me, fuel at $9/gallon would make commuting in the TDI as expensive as commuting in the truck is currently. At $9/gallon, the truck wouldn't get very many miles - it would stay on occasional duty as it is currently.

Last edited:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
As far as I'm concerned I've already got one of the most fuel-efficient production cars in North America.:)
And from what I've seen, it's far more practical and more fun to drive than the economical gassers or hybrids I've seen.

Unless they bring over the Polo's or something similar....I'm sticking with my ALH TDI until I can't keep it running any more.

If fuel ever becomes super expensive....I guess I'll go back to riding my bicycle. (I could probbaly use the exercise anyway.)

I just saw an ad the other day for...I think it was a Chev car of some type, Cruze maybe...it stated that the car could get 40 something MPG on the highway. Whoopee :rolleyes:

I have to say though, that I have seen a lot more VW TDI ads on TV lately. Seems like every other commercial sometimes.

scarr89

TDI
Mk4 Golf 150PD
Do you guys have the MK6 Golf GTD's across the pond? People have been hitting the 70mpg mark?!

Also you do not have Polo's over there..the mint of the car :p

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

KalebC

TDI
None yet
Blame the universities, because they're the ones who indoctrinated the young people who earned their teaching certificates.

I taught for one year without a credential, but if I wanted a credential this is what I would have needed:

I took the main prerequisite course and then gave up. It would have taken at least 4 semesters to complete the entire syllabus, and I would not have been a good candidate for their indoctrination. I could have used a few courses on the nuts-and-bolts of teaching, especially how to maintain control of a classroom; but I already knew what I wanted to teach and most of these courses would have been a total waste of time and money.

So that is why I am not a teacher, and why your kids are not learning what they are should learn, but what the education establishment thinks they ought to learn. Becoming good citizens is not part of the curriculum.
Yeah, I quit after the first year in a Master in Teaching Program. The second final year would have been two quarters of student teaching with a quarter in between to seminar on student teaching.

I quit because I realized I wasn't cut out for it, at least not yet, after learning all about what it takes to really educate. I'd rather teach adults, anyway.

Incidentally, those courses look pretty essential to me. In fact, I would add to those at least twice as many credits to do the job. :rolleyes:

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!

So...

is it coincidence that your post describes the post above yours?

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
is it coincidence that your post describes the post above yours?
It gave me part of the incentive to start my little rant, if that's what you mean.:)

Rising fuel prices aren't 100% due to the situation I described...but it still accounts for a large part of it.

In North America we have large amounts of resources that we could be making use of. If they could be utilized it would lower prices not just here, but I would think world wide. But we don't, because they are "perceived" as unclean.

It's interesting that using resources from countries with rampant corruption, poor values, no concern for the environment, etc...is fine. But getting those same resources locally where the opposite is true is seen as bad.

I guess if everything was perfect I wouldn't get to rant about anything here. ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Years ago, I worked in Wisconsin in an industrial park built around a brand new coal fired power plant. You could tell when they were burning Iowa coal compared to most other states because the exhaust plume had a yellowish cast from the high sulpher content. Iowa coal was illegal to burn in Iowa powerplants due the the high sulpher, but I guess it was ok to burn in Wi since it all blew out over Lake Michigan.