96 Passat license plate lights

dupp

Veteran Member
My brother has a 96 Passat TDI 4dr. and has gone through quite a few license plate light bulbs over the past few years.

Now neither of the bulbs work and the fuse is fine. Asked me to post to see if any other TDI'ers have had similar problems or know the fix so the local constables don't pull him over.

Much appreciated,

Mike

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
I had a recurring problem with the passenger side taillight. Finally fixed it by cleaning the socket contact and bending it up very slightly(be careful - easy to mess it up). Also, you can buy a product at Lowes called OxGard - it's a conductive lubricant made for improving the connection and reducing corrosion on aluminum connections. Apply very sparingly only to contact points.

This is assuming of course that you have power to the bulb sockets.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Are his parking lamps and dash lamps on at all times with the DRLs? This wiring configuration on the early 96 B4 prompted me to change my headlight switch out to eliminate all the other lamps from the DRL circuit. I was experiencing lamp failures at a rate higher than I thought was normal.
A headlight switch from a 95 (OFF park ON) or from a 97 (OFF or ON, no park position) will eliminate all the other lamps from being ON when the switch is in the OFF position. The DRL headlights themselves are separate and can be maintained or deleted, your choice, with either the earlier or later switch. The early 96 switch does not allow the park, dash and plate lights to be turned OFF.

dupp

Veteran Member
Jonathan,

His 96 has just the DRL headlights on all the time, so perhaps it is the sockets or some other starnge gremlin. I have a feeling that slamming the trunk with the lights on will hasten the demise of those lic plate lights, but that's just a guess...I too have disconnected the DRL's in my two 96 Passats (wagon and 4dr.)

Thanks for the input,

Mike

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Jonathan,

His 96 has just the DRL headlights on all the time,
I too have disconnected the DRL's in my two 96 Passats (wagon and 4dr.)
Yes, But are the parking lamps on his car ON all the time? The early 96 B4 have reduced intensity low beam headlamps AND full intensity parking, dash, and rear plate illumination at all times. Deleting the DRL headlights by unplugging the yellow DRL wire will not change the fact that the other lamps all remain ON at all times. It is necessary to change the switch to delete all these other lamps.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I had this problem as well. I bought two new gaskets from the dealer and I replaced the screws with stainless steel ones from the hardware store. I replaced the bulbs with white LED bulbs from 42draftdesigns.com.

Haven't burned out since.

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Would anyone have any suggestions for replacing the B4 plastic lens covers for the license plate lights? No part # that I can see on what's left of the lens, pulled the fixture out, 1H5943167. Google search took me to an Ebay listing for the fixture, no lens, listing shows this fitting A3 Jetta, no mention of B4. Nothing on the VW parts sites like Jim Ellis when I search this #. Compared the lens with wife's 2000 Jetta, lens is similar, screw holes line up, but on the MK4, the fixture and lens are all one piece.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Would anyone have any suggestions for replacing the B4 plastic lens covers for the license plate lights? No part # that I can see on what's left of the lens, pulled the fixture out, 1H5943167. Google search took me to an Ebay listing for the fixture, no lens, listing shows this fitting A3 Jetta, no mention of B4. Nothing on the VW parts sites like Jim Ellis when I search this #. Compared the lens with wife's 2000 Jetta, lens is similar, screw holes line up, but on the MK4, the fixture and lens are all one piece.
I think it's 3A0943119B

They don't call it a lens for some reason, they call it a window.

Steve

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Thank you Steve,, much more positive results with your part #. How do you come up with these hard to find part #'s? Jim Ellis shows them still available, other online VW dealers show them as NLA. Placed an order, we'll see what happens. Ebay search on this number shows them available via the modern day B4 external lighting headquarters, Lativa. Once again, thank you.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you Steve,, much more positive results with your part #. How do you come up with these hard to find part #'s? Jim Ellis shows them still available, other online VW dealers show them as NLA. Placed an order, we'll see what happens. Ebay search on this number shows them available via the modern day B4 external lighting headquarters, Lativa. Once again, thank you.
It's no mystery, it's the online Etka parts catalog here that I think is hosted in Russia, one of the other ones is.

There's another one too, oemepc.com, but I've found that it isn't as reliable as this one.

Eastern Europeans (and Russians) love VW's and in particular the B3/4 Passat cars. The catalog might be a little dated sometimes but it's a good starting point, if you can find a part number then you can use Ellis to determine if available or at least some alternate.

Steve