Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'll say. I just bought fuel for my house tank and it was up $.10 from when I last bought it in March or April. I would have expected it to be less expensive. However, I bit the bullet anyway as my success rate at timing the market is pretty low. But signing up for 240 gallons at once hurts. Good thing I don't own a boat.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I filled up on Thursday am for $2.269 at a Murphy USA. Two miles away diesel was $2.559 at a Shell station, and there were stations less than a mile away which were charging $2.399. Thank to the GasBuddy app, I did not pay more than I had to. Most stations in the metro are charging $2.399-$2.459.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I filled up on Thursday am for $2.269 at a Murphy USA. Two miles away diesel was $2.559 at a Shell station, and there were stations less than a mile away which were charging $2.399. Thank to the GasBuddy app, I did not pay more than I had to. Most stations in the metro are charging $2.399-$2.459.
I've found gasbuddy to be fairly reliable too. I like the new search feature that gives price by distance. Don't want to drive 40 miles round trip to save 5 cents. However, I stay away from Murphy stations. I always got lower mileage on their fuel in the bug than anywhere else. I don't think I've ever run anything from them through the JSW or the Golf.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Saw RUG and D2 both at $2.399 this last weekend, from the looks of it, it wont be long before D2 is cheaper than RUG again

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Saw RUG and D2 both at $2.399 this last weekend, from the looks of it, it wont be long before D2 is cheaper than RUG again
Shoot, not here. I'm in Mobile, Alabama today and diesel is $2.219-2.519. Regular unleaded is $2.039-2.199.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Just got back from an eclipse camping trip through Wyoming and Idaho, I was not happy about their diesel prices.. think the cheapest I got was $2.89 and the highest $2.98.. Gas prices were about the same as home, why did D2 jump so high just the next states over?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wait and see what prices do over the next several weeks, with over 1M barrels/day of refining capacity in Texas currently offline.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That won't affect California as those refineries don't make CARB Diesel. OUR hit is coming on 1 November with Gov. Moonbeam's massive tax hike.

Edit. Though I would not put it past the oil companies to raise prices here then lie and say it was due to Harvey. They have probably done so in the past.

Last edited:

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait and see what prices do over the next several weeks, with over 1M barrels/day of refining capacity in Texas currently offline.
Over here on the Alabama gulf coast it's already really being felt. Not with diesel yet so much but with regular unleaded. Diesel's been fairly steady over the last week or so, hovering around the $2.159-2.359 range. Regular unleaded pre-storm was trending down as tourist season is almost over, $1.999-2.159; just today the range I saw was $2.169-2.299.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It is only 17 or 18 days until stations in most of the country can begin to sell winter-blend gasoline. So there will not be a shortage, just a temporary distribution snafu. And however high prices go in the next week or two, they will come down pretty fast.

As for diesel, I think it will not rise in price as much, but it will also not drop back to current levels unless crude prices decline.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
That won't affect California as those refineries don't make CARB Diesel. OUR hit is coming on 1 November with Gov. Moonbeam's massive tax hike.

Edit. Though I would not put it past the oil companies to raise prices here then lie and say it was due to Harvey. They have probably done so in the past.

We might want to think about that - every time there is a refinery fire/outage here in California. Gas prices SPIKE immediately at retail. That means the gas/diesel in the tanks at the stations and paid for, goes up in price. The "explanation" is that it will cost more to replace that gas, so price needs to go up.
So even with the Houston refineries supplying ZERO of our market, I will not be surprised to see a "price SPIKE" because of the "supply disruption" that doesn't exist in our Oligopoly controlled California gas market. Watch for "demand" from Texas, even thou there is no way to supply Texas from California, EXCEPT by tanker ship.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, John, I have noticed that these "refinery fires" tend to happen at the same time another refinery is "down for maintenance" just like clockwork. They seem to "rotate" between refining companies, too.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Also, John, I have noticed that these "refinery fires" tend to happen at the same time another refinery is "down for maintenance" just like clockwork. They seem to "rotate" between refining companies, too.
Honestly, seasonal maintenance events tend to bunch the outages etc. But the marketing or accountant types know very well anout how to pad their margins based on public fears.

We see the same thing in the Hoston area right now regarding flood supplies. Prices are jacked up before the food. During The flood, prices tend to be astronomical. Even if few buyers can reach suppliers.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So even with the Houston refineries supplying ZERO of our market, I will not be surprised to see a "price SPIKE" because of the "supply disruption" that doesn't exist in our Oligopoly controlled California gas market. Watch for "demand" from Texas, even thou there is no way to supply Texas from California, EXCEPT by tanker ship.
Actually, a supply disruption in Texas will affect prices in California, because Arizona is supplied by pipeline from both sources. If Arizona can't receive fuel from Texas, then it will have to rely on California, and prices in California will rise. Possibly a lot.

I remember a pipeline outage near El Paso just a week or two after I bought my first Golf TDI back in 2003. Diesel prices held steady at about $1.70, while gasoline jumped from $1.50 to over $2.00 -- making me very glad that I owned a diesel car.

Today, in the north Metro; gasoline is expected to rise 5-10 cents over the next few days:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It looks like there are 19 refineries in California, of which 4 are asphalt only. Of the remaining 15 fuel refineries, 14 total make both CARB Diesel and CARB Gasoline, while 1 refinery make only CARB Diesel, and 1 refinery makes only CARB Gasoline. The latest data from July 13, 2016 shows that the CARB Gasoline refinery was idle and 1 refiner of both diesel and gas was also idle as of that date.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, a supply disruption in Texas will affect prices in California, because Arizona is supplied by pipeline from both sources. If Arizona can't receive fuel from Texas, then it will have to rely on California, and prices in California will rise. Possibly a lot.

TE]

I wonder where in AZ they get CARB Diesel from CA? Unless the one refinery here that DOESN'T make CARB Diesel, makes non-CARB D2 for AZ. Ditto the one refinery that doesn't make CARB Gasoline.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.39 for RUG and $2.59 for diesel at the local Speedway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

TE]

I wonder where in AZ they get CARB Diesel from CA? Unless the one refinery here that DOESN'T make CARB Diesel, makes non-CARB D2 for AZ. Ditto the one refinery that doesn't make CARB Gasoline.
Here is the story from August 2003, exactly three weeks after I picked up my brand new Golf TDI. http://articles.latimes.com/2003/aug/21/business/fi-gaslines21

"Arizona receives almost all of its gasoline through two pipelines owned and operated by Kinder Morgan, Inc. Kinder Morgan’s “West Line” is a 20-inch diameter pipeline that originates in Watson, California, and travels down to Yuma, Arizona, then up to Phoenix.... Kinder Morgan’s “East Line,” a smaller diameter pipeline, originates in El Paso, Texas, travels to Tucson, and then on to Phoenix."
http://www.pinalcountyaz.gov/AirQuality/Documents/Travel%20Reduction/az_motor_fuel_and_supply_distribution.pdf

The information on that web site is outdated, as Kinder Morgan now has both the 12" pipeline to Tucson and a 16" pipeline to Phoenix.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Keep in mind that diesel and gasoline are priced on a worldwide demand scale. Although California may have refineries to supply fuel blends specific to them, they are under the same constraints when it comes to getting crude. They will also shift sales to the most profitable outlet.

I've seen rug climb about 30 cents over the last week. D2 has only gone up about 10 cents. The two, at least in SC, are within pennies of each other. I'll know more this afternoon when I fill the truck.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
8/25: RUG was $1.999-2.159; diesel $2.149-2.359

Today: RUG is $2.399-2.599; diesel is $2.399-2.559

Harvey is definitely making its presence known in the Deep South in more ways than one.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I looked at rug at Costco this morning and gas buddy listed it at $2.20. By the time I got there around 5, it was $2.25. Noticed one station on the way home was $2.79 while the station across the street was $2.54. D2 at both was $2.54.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is the story from August 2003, exactly three weeks after I picked up my brand new Golf TDI. http://articles.latimes.com/2003/aug/21/business/fi-gaslines21

"Arizona receives almost all of its gasoline through two pipelines owned and operated by Kinder Morgan, Inc. Kinder Morgan’s “West Line” is a 20-inch diameter pipeline that originates in Watson, California, and travels down to Yuma, Arizona, then up to Phoenix.... Kinder Morgan’s “East Line,” a smaller diameter pipeline, originates in El Paso, Texas, travels to Tucson, and then on to Phoenix."
http://www.pinalcountyaz.gov/AirQua...ion/az_motor_fuel_and_supply_distribution.pdf

The information on that web site is outdated, as Kinder Morgan now has both the 12" pipeline to Tucson and a 16" pipeline to Phoenix.

According to this Kinder Morgan page it is a 20" pipeline from their Colton Terminal in Bloomington, CA to Phoenix; the 16" line is from their Watson Station in Long Beach, CA to the Colton Terminal. Niland CA is southeast of the Salton Sea just south of Slab City.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Gasoline prices jumped sooner than diesel around here. People are generally unaware of the importance of the refineries near Houston. I tanked up at $2.29 (all three of my diesel vehicles). I watched as within one day it jumped up to $2,49, and above.

Then I found a lagging Gulf station with $2.29 yesterday, and topped off my daily driver. I suppose that I will be paying closer to $2.50 next time I fill up.
Just checked and my consistent lower priced location is $2.69 up in Platte County North of Kansas City. The place I found at $2.29 a couple of days ago is also $2.69 which is 40 cents higher. Get used to it. Even if the refineries get back up and running, there is likely to be a long delay before prices settle again. May not until next Summer!

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
RUG and diesel went up around here on the average of 30 cents, PUG around 15 cents. Electricity's holding steady.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
8/31: RUG was $2.399-2.599; diesel is $2.399-2.559
9/01: RUG is now $2.459-2.659; diesel is $2.459-2.599

Sure wish I'd filled up the other day when it was still $2.149.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
8/31: RUG was $2.399-2.599; diesel is $2.399-2.559
9/01: RUG is now $2.459-2.659; diesel is $2.459-2.599
Sure wish I'd filled up the other day when it was still $2.149.
STL Area

$2.39 for Diesel
$2.49 for RUG