1996 VW TDI Passat B4 Wagon For Sale

BarnacleWJG

TDI
1996 VW Passat B4 TDI
Re-posted in this Forum because I posted it in the wrong one the first time and screwed the pooch with an attachment. Sorry Administrator!!!

Only selling because I bought a new car and am getting harangued by my awesome wife to sell my VW. $5,500.00 OBO. OBO, Obo….obo

Location - Hermiston, OR. - East of Portland by 3 hours.

1996 VW TDI Passat Wagon 143,800 miles (diesel)(Instrument cluster replaced at 107K by previous owner, there a sticker on the door panel with that mileage)

Wolfsburg Edition German Built
44 MPG Best 38 MPG in town
25 Gal. fuel tank
Cruise control - Resume doesn't work
Power locks, Windows, Roof and mirrors. Mirrors don't adjust
1.9 L engine
5 speed transmission
Moon Roof - No leaks and it works
Blue tooth radio/CD player
Tinted Windows
Dual air bags
6 Way adjustable front seats
Power steering, tilt wheel
Air Conditioning--blows cold
Some spare parts
Original spare
Rear window defroster
Rear Wiper used to work - but stiff
Two cup holders
Title at Credit Union
Missing one Wheel Cover

Owned since 2013 and I put on approximately 20K miles. It is now around 145,000 miles. New Clutch(15k), Slave Cylinder, New ignition switch relay in the column, new 109 relay, and new Voltage Regulator in Alternator.
I got a flat once and since then one of the rear struts is super stiff or the other one is failed. I have 2 new struts to replace them with.

Still has the 5th injector, but I blanked off the fuel to it.

Should have timing belt and water pump replaced as I don't know when it was done last. I have the parts from diesel geek - timing belt kit with tools, water pump, tensioner pulley, and various other parts.

I have all new wheel bearings on hand, but haven't installed them.

I've always used synthetic oil and changed oil every 5-6,000 miles. Last time I checked mileage it got 39 MPG – city and short freeways runs. I work 8 miles from home. Rode my bicycle for last two summers, but now I have a new car as my commuter, so this one has to go..

Known issues:
Burns less than a quart of oil every 6,000 mile oil change. Cracked windshield, Re-glued passenger side mirror.
Side Mirrors don't adjust.
Rubber trim on driver's door lifted, but don't see any rust.
Some rock chips behind rear tires and some on front fenders too.
Antifreeze heater fuseable link is open.
Paint job on hood and top is cloudy....not stored in a loving garage.
I replaced the Driver's door handle, but I kept the original in case you could make it work.
All seats were replaced with tan leather before I bought it. Used from a different 96 Wagon.
She runs good and once I replaced the 109 relay she never has failed me.
Was supposedly gone through by previous owner (Nice Cars). I know they replaced a few sensors, and painted it, but they didn't do all they said they did. She's clean though.
This car has lots of life left in it and would make someone a fairly inexpensive high mileage commuter.
Pics to come – interior

I bought this from Nice Cars. I can say I was disappointed that the complete refurbishment he describes would have replaced the 109 relay, clutch plate, and such.....but those items were all original parts of original age and I had to replace them. Windshield is original and pitted, crack too, but I am willing to replace it before I sell, but if someone wants a specific windshield vice what I have available here in Po-dunkville, let me know please.

I blocked the 5th injector as discussed and it stopped smoking. The Injector Pump is leaking a little, but I do have the seal kit from diesel geek to fix it.

It does leak coolant but it's only about a qt every 3K miles, I haven't tracked it, I just check it every week and add any if it needs it. The pricey Pentosi reddish VW fluid.

Other than that, she runs great, but it's also my first TDI, so I am still a newbie. I have learned a lot from this awesome forum, and that's how I have learned the PO/Seller didn't really do all he said.

I knew the side view mirrors were not working when I bought it, but I asked him if he had done all the other upgrades to this car and he said he had.

The piece below the grill was replaced with what looks like a Toreador? Red piece that was repainted green....but I didn't have a clue until I read the advice from the experienced folks here at TDI Club.

Either way, I like the car, my wife doesn't;-), I bought a new car, so it's easier to move on until I can downsize all my other stuff.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a collectable car, do your research. Crawl around the car and look at all the parts. Look at the advice on buying a TDI from this web site....I think they said there are 3 locations for the VIN, to verify it's all from one car, I could only find one. Look under the carpet for different color paint......look at it in broad daylight. Some one here said they would help anyone look a car over before letting you buy a wrecked vehicle that was unscrupulously fixed back up.
I just want some money to finish paying off the loan and make sure she goes to a good home…not a scammer.
Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hello Baracle,

I'm judging by how much problems you had with your original post, maybe you have a trouble with my reply, please contact me about your passat wagon, as I am interested in finding out more details.

my cell phone is 30 one 7zero6-057seven
Thanks,
Steve