How long does a battery last

amgad

Veteran Member
TDI
Firt OEM battery replaced (with a Bosch Silver 74Ah 680 A cold start) at around 2.5 years for hard starting... (didnt improve). Now at 6 years and a few months replaced that Bosch with a Varta Blue Dynamic 74Ah 680 A cold start.

So far the OEM and the Bosch have lasted me around 3 years each... is this normal or could there be a problem with the charging system in my car?

Senior_Diesel

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, TDI, light brown
Have 2000 Beetle with 80K and still on original battery. However, every so often, I put battery on slow charge over night and yet to have been stranded. I live in mid-Michigan, USA.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
2000 Jetta TDI with 135k and original battery.

Cranks fine down here in Kentucky. It will be 14 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning (1/17/05)...... we will see.

It did fine a few weeks back when the temp dropped to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
One is very lucky to get 6 Vermont winters out of an automobile battery. Often, at -20F, one gets ONLY ONE CHANCE to start the engine. Even a GOOD battery does not last long under those conditions.

Somtimes, you can hook up a battery charger and it might warm up the battery enough to start engine. Several times, I actually REMOVED battery and brought in house to soak it in hot water for 20 minutes...Then re-install into vehicle and start the engine.

I have to agree with the person who suggested ocasionally putting on a charger. What this does is EQUALIZE the battery ( http://www.amplepower.com/primer/equal/ ) In the winter, I drive TO and FROM work in the dark so the headlights are always on. The battery does not get a chance for all the cells to EQUALIZE during charging.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In years past, on my old style Jetta Diesels with old batterys, I have used a heating pad. I would wrap the heating pad around the battery as best I could and lay an old towel on top of the battery and set the temp on medium all night. This worked well at temps below zero Fahrenheit. I still have that heating pad and assume that sometime I will need to use it again...... even with a good strong battery on a very very cold night.

diezelwiezel

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Mojave Beige Golf
Absolutely, on periodically removing the battery and charging it. The Optima battery in my truck is coming up on 6 years and probably its last, while it does not get cold as in Vermont. Having an erratic work schedule has ruined many a batteries for me, until the guy who sold the Optima explained that very issue in detail. A load tester also helps out in gauging the battery capacity. Goodluck Veedubing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess that's why my brother's ATV battery survived a cooking when the rectifier overcharged it. On an all day outing over labor day 2003 (yes 2003), the CB radio hot wire feed grounded (we learned later) causing the charging system to boil the battery to the point that steam was coming out the overflow pipe. We used "creek" water several times to refill the battery. That battery, 17 months later, is still strong and starts his ATV fine..... even at temps below freezing.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Re the Optima: if you overcharge it, you'll get the gell out for sure! It should have a vent to let out gasses if you overcharge it, to prevent explosions, but it's still not good for the battery.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
99.5 Jetta, 272,000km's (170,000miles) and STILL on the original battery!! w00t!! hahaha, its being replaced soon.

sciroccohp

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, black with grey leather
3.5 years and on second battery. I think it may be time for a third. (I bought the second from VW did not do that again!)I am in CT but spend a lot of the winter up north every weekend.

landon11

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Jetta TDI
This couldn't have came up at a better time. I had to jump start my 2000 jetta this mourning (20 degrees), it just wouldn't fire up. I guess I'll be getting a new battery tonight even though it works fine in 99.9% of the weather around here.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
The OEM batteries do not seem to be very long lasting, compared to some others.

I once had a Honda whose OEM battery lasted 6.5 years (in mild California weather). I also bought a used Volvo with a Die Hard battery in it; when it finally failed, it was about 6 years old based on the date code sticker on it. In the same mild California weather, the OEM battery in my Golf TDI is already showing signs of weakness (slow cranking) at just under 4 years.

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
The OEM battery (Made in Japan) of my prior car, 1996 Toyota Tercel, was still strong and like new when I traded the car in 2003. The car spent one year in Washington, one year in Idaho, 3 years in Vermont, and 2 years in Massachusetts. The car was totally rock solid. 40 mpg... didn't have any problems for seven years other than regular oil changes and once front brake repair.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Gee guys, you are scaring me. Up until last week, I had been used to batteries lasting 10 years, group 24F, Toyota Landcruisers, oem Panasonic batteries.

My AC Delco group 75 series died after a long freeway drive of 2 hrs.
It was 4.25 years old. RIP
. Costco replacement was 40 dollars and has a 36 mo/3year free replacement and a 100 mo prorate.

So far after two years on the TDI, it starts like a champ and has not needed ANY water!!

I am a little perplexed as to the replacement sizes.

So if I understand the technical data, 94R is the replacement. Obviously one important issue is the exact fit or physical size concern? The 94R seems to be not common/rare/hard to find and somewhat costly 90-150 dollars.

So far if I understand the discussion, groups: 46, H7, 34R, 35 and 1N are suitable replacement sizes?