Diy Alh Tuning

1shadeofcoal

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi Oceanic Green
Hi all!

I am looking for some direction/advice on this subject.

I would like to mess around with tuning my personal car a little to try to learn how to tune, and hopefully get some more performance out of it, in terms of power and hopefully fuel mileage. Now i know i can just buy a tune from a tuner after telling them my mods and such, but me being as i am i like to learn and play around with things like this.

What program/ device should i buy to get into doing such things?

my car is a 2002 Alh with 286k bone stock (even the clutch) except exhaust, egr delete, and 11mm pump. clutch and bigger nozzles are in the very near future.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hammer mod, and evry mod if your going to hagger it up. Look up every mod and there is a great write up on how to program it as well to control the boost issues. I warn you the every mod is some getto stuff but might be up your ally for what your going to be able to achieve by a home tune. It does F up your MPG though, unlike a tune or nozzles. What is your budget? and how much power you want? I was very impressed with my PP.764's, turbo swap, and a manifold to heel the EGT's down. I never did a tune for years, but what a differance it made. If your on a budget i would do like y ou plan, do a home tune and evry mod and hammer mod and spend the money in some HD bilsteins, prothane bushings, and good tires and HPS hawks pads then start to do some power things that mean business like nozzles first, PD150 intake next, swiss cheese airbox, then a bigger FMIC, then turbo, then chiptune. Make sure you get an EGT gauge before you do nozzles and a boost PSI and oil PSI gauge when you do the turbo. YOur going to need a clutch eventually. Mine lasted a year running my .764's and GT2052.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Look for a mppsv16 cable. I got mine on Amazon for $30. You will also need a working windows xp laptop. Then you will want edc15 suite to edit the maps. Xp laptop is for reading and flashing. The maps can be edited on a newer machine via flash drive. You need xp so you can use ampps application which is old for flashing/reading.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Look for a mppsv16 cable. I got mine on Amazon for $30. You will also need a working windows xp laptop. Then you will want edc15 suite to edit the maps. Xp laptop is for reading and flashing. The maps can be edited on a newer machine via flash drive. You need xp so you can use ampps application which is old for flashing/reading.
Just for reference I have mpps working on my windows 10 laptop. It took a bit of fiddling looking for the right drivers and it needs to be run as administrator but it does work.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
You don't really need XP anymore for anything.

VAGEDC Suite is decent for starting out, but it has many limitations and many missing definitions. Good enough for basic stuff.