My mk4 Jetta Stereo Install Thread

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
When I purchased this car about a year ago the stereo was in moderate condition - it had decent component speakers in each door but the amplifier was dated and needed replaced as it would loose chanels when you went over big bumps, etc. The complete re-vamp of the stereo was inevitable even without any of the latter issues as I am the owner of Stereo Integrity and I manufacture my own tweeters, mids, and subwoofers. Mods, if you want to delete this thread because I own a loudspeaker company feel free.

The car came with Alpine Type-R components, an Infiniti 5 chanel amplifier, and a JL 10" subwoofer in a stealth box where the spare tire used to be. The best thing about the setup when I purchased the car was the subwoofer - its response was very linear and sounded pretty darned good. I wasn't a fan of the Type-R components at all as they were pretty bright (mainly the tweeters). The mids were pretty nice the but the tweeters were the worst performing items in the bucket for sure.

Long story short all of my drivers (loudspeakers) utilize a motor topology called XBL^2 which allows for smaller height voice coils which cuts down on inductance while also increasing linear excursion by using mutliple gap topology. AKA: It sounds a lot better than other speakers.

Mic placed near-field to the tweeter to get a measurement of just the tweeters FR. The other speakers were playing which explains the much lower level information in the other bandwidths but you get the idea:

Same close-mic measurement on the mid:

Same close-mic measurement taken in the trunk for the subwoofer:

More to come!

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
Next on the list was installing my TM65 mkII mids. 6.5" mid/midbass featuring 9 mm of Xmax and the ability to play up to 3,500 Hz so you get the midbass level of an 8" woofer with the sound quality of $500/each mid/midbass drivers. So anyway, install pictures:

Mounting depth using a Centimeter ruler:

Plywood spacers cut and sanded:

Test fit:

And painted to prevent warping when wet:

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
The fabrication of the tweeter pods is very well done!
Thanks. I have to give all the credit on the tweeter pods to my installer/fabricator, Gary. I didn't use him for the door speakers because they are behind the factory door cards and won't be seen but Gary did an awesome job on the sail panels / tweeter pods.