2015 NMS opinions on fix or sell?

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
I have a 2015 NMS TDI SE manual, stock, 31k mi. Bought in Apr 2015 new, $25K OTD, cash. My buyout price is $27-28K (buy + restitution). My restitution for fix is ~$7.2k.

I bought the car for the room/economy. I'm 6'6" and have 12 & 14 yr old kids growing to match.

I have a ding in the passenger front quarter panel...about a 3x3" crunch on the wheel well that a kind hit-run lady gave me while parked the week I bought the car. I saw the lady shifty-eyed and quickly pull away, but didn't 'catch' her in the act and didn't fully understand what had happened until it was too late. I had a $700 estimate to fix the ding, but never did it, and I never made a claim.

I had been planning to keep the car until 2018, sell back, and buy used same model for about $11-15k, sans the ding and drive on until my kids are out of the house.

But...I'm starting to consider the fix...I KNOW how the car has been driven - I'm the only driver. I KNOW I've added Power Stroke Silver EVERY tank since new. The reasons I got the big car still stand.

What are your thoughts for my situation...keep the car for the long haul with ding and get 7K restitution, or sell it back and *hope* I can find a replacement on the cheap.

I am not financially strapped...and am starting to think that getting the car for $18K is a pretty good deal, and that the $3-5K I *might* be able to capture by trading is a fool's folly.

Your thoughts? I really want Oilhammer's thoughts on the wisdom of keeping an ea288 fixed orphan for the long haul (likely just ~200k mi, realistically).

My commute has recently changed from 22 miles/day to ~68 miles/day, but this might change again.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Joe

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
FWIW I kept mine. The extra warranty made it a deal for me. You could fix the damage with the restitution money

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Thanks, Funguy. I'm aware your post and am taking it into consideration. Also...I don't (much) mind the "ding" and can afford fixing it, and realize that the ding-fix is just 10% the restitution. The things that are giving me pause are 1) VW might not sell the fixed 2015s. 2) I might not be able to fine a suitable 6MT 3)VW financial situation might change if I hold out for a sell 4) I like my current car for room/economy and a suitable replacement may not be available

Which...is to your point...that the fix made sense for you, and might make sense for me. I was probing opinions that may argue the orphan status ea288 is unknown....

My reply may sound critical, but is not intended to be personal...I really appreciated your early fix report, and it started to shift my thinking! Thanks.

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
No offense at all. Hope you can work it out to your comfort level. I was thinking of buying a returned (or never sold) '15 also. The 6MT I think will be hard to find. I have considered that VW could go belly up before I sell back my wife's '13 sportwagen. They seem to be ok for now.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I was about to say no until I checked online and I see about 700 2015 Passats nation wide. None look cheap though. Here is a 6 speed MT for 24K
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/618177190/overview/ These are new not buyback. Lot of manual tranny's. I am surprised they don't lower the prices more. The cars are 2+ years old.

Last edited:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
But if you go to the sellers web site (Fox Valley Volkswagen) and look at their inventory, the listed 2015 Passat TDI is not listed. I have done this with several other 3rd party web listings and when I go to the actual dealers web site, the listed vehicle is never there. Not sure if these adds are old or what. All I know they are not for sale until the fix has been performed. Will they be able to sell them after the first half fix is completed, don't know, but I wouldn't think so. Just my opinion.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If I had a 2015, I would fix it, drive it for a while, then sell it if I decided I wanted something different. I think 2015s will have very good resale value, especially with the extended warranty that is offered as a part of the settlement/fix.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Finding a similar sized replacement with the same range and mpgs in the mid 40s will be tough if not impossible. There is something to be said for going 700-800 miles between fill-ups. I've upgraded the suspension and brakes and I'm in it for the long haul (300+K miles?).

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
My advice is wait. If you really want to replace yours, I would wait until you see how much the fixed ones are selling for. You have lots of time to find the right one for the right price.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the 2018 GMC Terrain and chevy equinox will be the first AWD 40MPG SUV sporting a tiny 1.6L diesel

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I had been planning to keep the car until 2018, sell back, and buy used same model for about $11-15k, sans the ding and drive on until my kids are out of the house.
This plan sounds nice, but I don't think you're going to find a "used but similar" for $11-15k. Unless you mean a gasser. My guess is that these are going to be very rare and hard to come by. Most people are taking the buyback and those who take the fix are likely to hold onto them for at least a few years. This bums me out since I was hoping to score a late model Passat or Golf, but I just gave up.

Dieselgate sucks.

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
This plan sounds nice, but I don't think you're going to find a "used but similar" for $11-15k. Unless you mean a gasser. My guess is that these are going to be very rare and hard to come by. Most people are taking the buyback...
Dieselgate sucks.
I was hoping that VW would start fixing/selling gen 3 buybacks ASAP. I figured they would sell for cheap due to dieselgate stigma and being 3 years old with 30-60k. VW would have a good incentive to fix/resell the buybacks quickly before they depreciate further with age which would help reduce overall dieselgate cost to VW. And this would even help VW get the 85% turned in quickly...It would incentivize like minded folks who like the brand to "sell high, buy low"...and would thus give vw extra goodwill, while helping to "legendize" the TDI brand by keeping them on the road in higher numbers.
Thanks all for the good advice/discussion.
Joe

Hwycruiser

TDI
Since VW has decided to abandon diesels in the U.S. you will need to plan on driving it forever if you keep it. The used market will be limited to TDI enthusiasts (which will be small unless gas goes to $5 a gallon). Without advertising and support from VW most will avoid TDIs.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
we are already back up to $3 per gallon, looking forward to the new 40 MPG GMC terrain SUV diesel. I have also thought of buying a Leaf, with its short range id be parking it halfway between home and work, drive the leaf the first 30 miles then jump in my Passat that I stash at a friends house to complete my commute. Ahhh the price I pay for living 55 miles away from the urban jungle :)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
we are already back up to $3 per gallon, looking forward to the new 40 MPG GMC terrain SUV diesel. I have also thought of buying a Leaf, with its short range id be parking it halfway between home and work, drive the leaf the first 30 miles then jump in my Passat that I stash at a friends house to complete my commute. Ahhh the price I pay for living 55 miles away from the urban jungle :)
A Bolt would get you there and back... maybe even twice in favorable weather conditions (no heat). It's a bit more expensive than a used LEAF, though. ;)

I'm interested in driving a Terrain diesel, too. I'm really not sure how well it's going to perform with a 1.6L engine.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
My commute went from 70 miles a day to less than 11. In fact if we move soon that could go down. I'll buy a moped :D

I wanted to keep the car I loved, but had damage from 2 bad winters and bridge construction on my former commute. My windshield was pitted. Plus a lady backed into me and I never got fixed. I also had 15% tint all around which NYS is supposedly going to get strict with (I haven't seen a drastic change yet) So I calculated that into keeping and making it fresh to me, the fix which could lower mileage and a commute that would clog it up.

The deal was, imo, too good to pass up. Got nearly 28k and got a V6 SEL Premium for 31k. Solid motor, no turbos. Love the additional power, same space, added features and gas mileage is better than every car I've owned prior to the TDI :eek: I have to drive the long way to work to get it good and warm heading to work. Summer time will change that. Purchased a month ago and only at 920 miles as of this AM. Taking a trip the next 2 weekends with it.

PS I also loved the DSG and wanted it in my next vehicle. Alltrack, CC or Passat and Passat kept me.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
For what its worth

I love our 2015 Passat TDI SE. Have had the phase 1 emissions modification done and very pleased with the results to date. Restitution $ came quickly. New warranty extension covers MANY parts here to fore not covered, and for 11 years from date of purchase (April 2015)! I presently cannot see how you can go wrong keeping a CVCA TDI.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if the few 2016's that were on the line when dieselgate came out will ever be sold? Those will be collector cars for sure with all the safety improvements on a TDI