Survey; P202A.. AdBlue Heating Element., et.al.,

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Hello fellow TDI (Clean Diesel- AdBlue) owners who may currently show the aforementioned code or is stuck at your local VW Service waiting on replacement parts- I'd like to un-scientifically quantify how many problematic issues exist and from what State. If you are in the thralls of trying to remedy your issue would you please respond YES and what State are you located. Thanks,

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I have the same issue. Haven't fixed it yet. No issues with drivability. Gonna make an appointment in a few weeks at a trusted mechanic near me.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Good luck with extending the issue. Stupid me caved in when speaking to the service manager who strongly encouraged me to bring it in.

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM

houseofkafka

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Yes, Boise, Idaho.

Originally told "3-5 business days for parts."

At 5 days told, "2-3 weeks for parts. Sorry."

At 5 days+3 weeks told, "The part is on indefinite back order and I do not have an ETA. Really sorry."

I picked up the NMS without the fix and was told, "Do not drive the car or it may ruin more expensive parts."

I contacted VWofA when I got home and within 3 days the part had arrived at the dealer. I still have not returned to give them my $1500 and have the dealer fix the part. No issues driving the car and I'm seeing a lot of this issue on these forums, so I'm waiting to see if VWofA will eat it or not.

1. it seems like a faulty part
2. are they replacing it with equally (oem) faulty parts or upgrades?
3. if they are upgraded parts then doesn't that indicate VW knows the originals are crap and should take responsibility (cover $) for them?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
if you guys keep on driving your cars, regens likely aren't happening and you're in the process of filling up you DPFs and potential scrapping them

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
AdBlue has nothing to do with particulate control, so it shouldn't have any effect on the DPF operation. AdBlue is strictly for NOx control, although it may assist with other emissions.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
yatzee said:
if you guys keep on driving your cars, regens likely aren't happening and you're in the process of filling up you DPFs and potential scrapping them
AdBlue system deficiencies will not negatively affect the particulate filter system, as atc mentioned above.

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
I'm in Fl and currently have the issue. Hit at around 48k miles or something like that... Have been driving it for last 4-5k with no issues and glad I have been as there is now a revised part which is 561198970A(notice the prefix "A" at the end).

I plan on emailing these threads on here regarding this issue and raising hell at the dealer and VWNA. Figured why not since this is a known issue. The simple fact they have revised the part says it all!! If I don't get help financially ill just go down road to trusted mechanic .

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Yatzee, I can assure you regens continue to happen with a heater fault. I monitor my car with scanguage and have seen them occurring with the mil light on. I had mine fixed earlier this week with the updated part so hope all is good for a long while.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Mine a 202B, tank heater. Was told it needed a new computer, then a software update. Appt this week, will advise when problem solved.

Don

ribbittingcat

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
YES - Oregon

P202B, was told the part would be in overnight, then it was 3 days - 2 weeks. That was 1 week and 2 days ago. Still have a loaner.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
The part is back ordered and on limited release. 6-8 weeks....

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
VWNA must be tired of fielding the calls and inquiries. It seems apparent that those who escalate their issue with VWNA miraculously have their back ordered part arrive within 24-36 hours and depending on the mileage and current warranty status, determines how much of a $ break in part costs they issue. I was well beyond my extended warrant and couldn't get it classified under the Federal Emissions Compliance Rules- I sucked Eggs and paid up though I received a$125 discount.

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England

Worldrealtor

TDI
2013 tdi sel
2013 tdi adblue heating element went out dealer refused to fix at 48k

Do not every buy this tdi, poor quality parts and workmanship the only thing good about it is the mpg. Poor customer service no support all the try to do sell me another car and want to give me 11k for my car 2013 Passat sel tdi 50kmilage

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
I know you mentioned currently, sorry. Mine was fixed under warranty around January right before I took it for the 20k service. I am currently at 33k and they first said 1 day and eventually at around 3 or 4 days I got the car back. Also a friend who also had the same year TDI Passat as mine, had his fail around June and it took him 1 or 2 weeks to get his car back.

Has anyone with a NSM have his NOT fail? It seems like everyone has.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
May change today but so far my 2013 SE is at 102k and not a single issue so far.:)

Last edited:

Bluto408tdi

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/Nav
I got the P205B error last week. Took it to the Dealer today, and VW "goodwill"ed the repair without out even asking. 2012 TDI SE with 59k Miles.

Of note though, this is the THIRD Emission related failure I've had in 10 months. O2 Sensor in Dec 14, SCR Controller in Jan 15, and now the AdBlue tank heater.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So what's the additional risk, if any, once winter sets in and adblue freezes for weeks or more at a time?
The ECU monitors SCR performance (funny, given the emissions scandal) and if it doesn't perform to spec due to frozen fluid not being able to be injected, it will initiate a no-start countdown.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
P202A here, 54K miles; I bought the expressoemparts kit, plan to install it this week. Thanks for the installation thread, we'll see how it goes.

Living in warm states (OK, TX), I thought the heaters were not used. It looks like they are always on.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I have codes P205b and P20EE right now and been drinking with them for like 3k no issues that I can tell. I plan on getting a Malone stage 2 tune and keeping the emissions crap. Do I even need to fix the tank heater if going stage 2?

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The heater is there to be able to thaw the tank if it freezes. AdBlue freezes at about 15 degrees as I remember. If you are never below that there was a "fix" posted which involved a resistor in the circuit so the computer was fooled that the heater was working. If you are worried about it freezing then you will want to get it fixed.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I've seen the resistor and have considered it. I was just thinking that if the Stage 2 turns off the AdBlue system for the guys that do a DPF delete that the AdBlue system would still be off for me even though I don't plan on doing the delete. I guess I could always do the tune and then fix the heater if it's still a problem but I was just wanting the MIL off when I did the tune and I'd rather not mess with it if I don't need to.

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
I've seen the resistor and have considered it. I was just thinking that if the Stage 2 turns off the AdBlue system for the guys that do a DPF delete that the AdBlue system would still be off for me even though I don't plan on doing the delete. I guess I could always do the tune and then fix the heater if it's still a problem but I was just wanting the MIL off when I did the tune and I'd rather not mess with it if I don't need to.

Call AARodriguez or a Malone installer and double check that you don't need any CEL's cleared prior to a tune. I want to say that you can't have and CEL's or warning lights on prior to installing a tune. You may be able to relay the codes to whoever is doing the time and Malone might be able to code them out with your tune I.E. something custom. I've been deleted before and that's what I was told at least that's what I remember. Hope this helps.

lousyg

TDI
VW
P202A
2012 Passat TDI SEL
110K miles
Northern Illinois

Reset the code, but I'm expecting it to show up again shortly.

I'm pretty green when it comes to cars, but I'm an engineer and pretty handy, so lately I've taken it upon myself to fix things on my own when able. The writeup on replacing the heater seems pretty thorough, so I'm willing to give it a go.

Another thread suggests VW may have to do something with the heater when they fix the emissions scandal, so I'm tempted to wait this out for the time being (and probably can as we're just coming out of winter).

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
P202A in Utah, around 73k miles.

I tried calling my local dealer and they wont do anything or tell me anything before charging me an outrageous diagnostics fee to tell me what the problem is (as if there is a question). I'm waiting on VW's emissions fix, if it doesnt take care of the problem I will rip out all of the emissions system so I dont have to deal with maintenance issues again.