UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
The adblue heater will be covered by the extended warranty if you get the car fixed. -J
What do you mean by this? VW told me no coverage. I had to pay out of pocket. But I did file the complaint with NTHSA for both cars.

Last edited:

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
So my 2015 with 48K is throwing codes for both the heater and tank level sensor. Service rep in Topeka said both ARE NOT covered under the 8/80K warranty. He also said the only part of the AD Blue system covered under the 8/80K is the injector.

What an absolute crock of ****. I have a car just over a year old that I'm supposed to fork $1,200 over to fix?
Agreed. But you are getting a better price than most. Make sure to file a complaint with NHTSA. It will add to your refund should you sell back from what VW told me. The link is in my post on page 22.

How is Buehring these days? I was there in 05 and 06. Built the power plant and the cement helo pads. I know it is hotter than hell!!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
What do you mean by this? VW told me no coverage. I had to pay out of pocket. But I did file the complaint with NTHSA for both cars.
The consent agreement that is currently under review by the court includes a requirement to warranty the entire emissions system, not just the select pieces they currently cover. Since it's not yet official, the dealer was technically accurate, but not quite forthcoming. I would think that VW would just start covering them now, for customer goodwill if nothing else.

Hang on to your receipt, I'll bet you can get a reimbursement. :D

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi ATC, thanks for the further explanation. I do have the receipt and VW did indicate that they would likely add this expense to my compensation when I turn my car in. This was really the proverbial straw that broke the camel back. The totally random nature of VW's response on this is totally unacceptable to me.

Everyone please file with NTHSA! Here is the link again for those interested.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

RichmondKYtdi

Hi ATC, thanks for the further explanation. I do have the receipt and VW did indicate that they would likely add this expense to my compensation when I turn my car in. This was really the proverbial straw that broke the camel back. The totally random nature of VW's response on this is totally unacceptable to me.

Everyone please file with NTHSA! Here is the link again for those interested.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
done!

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
So Ill admit it I allowed myself to be suckered into an extended warranty. And what a ****** waste. I spoke with the person and even their "diesel/turbo" warranty soeant cover Ad Blue. This asshat said it has to specifically state the part being replaced.

I looked through everything and sure enough. Ad Blue, eura injector, etc. Is not mentioned anywhere.

PS2TDI

TDI
Passat SE 2013
I submitted my Buyback claim on Saturday and went on an errand.... bomb the CEL is on...

I didnt know where the OBD port was, so I went to the dealer and was told, you have a "going to fail" error on your Adblue heater. You need that heater to warm up Adblue cause the injection into the very hot exhaust without the hot fluid will steam and produce an unwanted exhaust vapor... I also needed a 1.5 hour analysis, to calculate the quote.

So, I went home, put my little bluetooth reader on the port with my Torque app on my phone and got a P202b error.

So, before I figure this all out from all the great notes here... Do we really need to do this now, when I am now scheduled for a buyback on Nov 1..

PS... Error code P202b at 58k, on a 2013 Passat TDI SE.

giovane

TDI
13 Passat TDI SEL
So, before I figure this all out from all the great notes here... Do we really need to do this now, when I am now scheduled for a buyback on Nov 1..
I've been driving with the CEL on for months already (same code), and I won't fix anything. Just check for error codes every couple of weeks, in case there's something new you are not aware of.

pecoxva

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
In the same boat as so many TDI Passat owners...

I submitted my Buyback claim on Saturday and went on an errand.... bomb the CEL is on...

I didnt know where the OBD port was, so I went to the dealer and was told, you have a "going to fail" error on your Adblue heater. You need that heater to warm up Adblue cause the injection into the very hot exhaust without the hot fluid will steam and produce an unwanted exhaust vapor... I also needed a 1.5 hour analysis, to calculate the quote.

So, I went home, put my little bluetooth reader on the port with my Torque app on my phone and got a P202b error.

I am new to the forum just to get in on this Adblue heater discussion. I own a 2013 Passat TDI SE with 51k miles. I've signed the paperwork for the buyback and a few days ago my CEL went on. I went to the dealership to have it diagnosed and was told the sensor in my Adblue tank was bad and I needed to have the entire thing replaced at a cost of $1200 according to my dealer. I escalated to VW customer care and am getting nothing as compensation, thinking that this should be under warrantee somehow but it isn't. The only hope for compensation is if this goes to recall and they fix the DEFECT that it is and I would be reimbursed if I fixed it before the recall if I keep my receipts. Anyway...I digress.

So many questions arise that I am sorting through and am seeking help from other forum members. Here they are:

1) I am in a warm weather climate. Do I have to address this at all?

2) Do I have to address this before the buyback or will they take the car with a CEL on?

3) Not knowing the level of the Adblue in my car at the moment, would it make sense to buy a bottle and put it in there? I'm assuming that with the CEL light on, my Adblue indicator will not come on because the CEL is telling me that the sensor is not working properly.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. I really really really don't want to spend $1200, especially since I am giving the car back to VW in about 90 days or so.

TIA!

RichmondKYtdi

1) I am in a warm weather climate. Do I have to address this at all?

2) Do I have to address this before the buyback or will they take the car with a CEL on?

3) Not knowing the level of the Adblue in my car at the moment, would it make sense to buy a bottle and put it in there? I'm assuming that with the CEL light on, my Adblue indicator will not come on because the CEL is telling me that the sensor is not working properly.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. I really really really don't want to spend $1200, especially since I am giving the car back to VW in about 90 days or so.

TIA!
1. Not now, no
2. No
3. Sure

Mine has the same error and has been on for awhile, i am going to keep my car so i plan on doing the cheap $5 sensor upgrade that is working so far when i have some time and go from there.

Namlehse

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I just got the P202A tonight. I had a CEL before that came and went that I'm assuming was more than likely the same thing. I'm not going to bother getting it fixed, I've had to call VWoA to get almost everything fixed that's been under warranty on every other car I've owned.

76k Miles.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Adblue heater just went out on my Florida car.

Year: 2013
Mileage: 31k
Warning Light(s): Check engine light only. No mileage count down warning.
Code(s): Not known (dealer diagnosis)
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: No symptoms
Repair Time: 1 day
Any pertinent info from dealer: Said covered under warranty even though I'm well past the 2yr/24k for the adblue system.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Adblue heater just went out on my Florida car.
Mileage: 31k
Warning Light(s): Check engine light only. No mileage count down warning.
Code(s): Not known (dealer diagnosis)
Repair Time: 1 day
Any pertinent info from dealer: Said covered under warranty even though I'm well past the 2yr/24k for the adblue system.
What happened to 3 yr/36K???

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
My warranty booklet says adblue system is 2yr/24k, not the typical 3yr/36k. I think others here have been burned by this too.

Somehow adblue system is not an emissions system.

Palmy

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
AdBlue Tank - how long can you go with P205B code?

2012 Passat TDI SE
P202a and P202b codes
Been driving it for a couple months now with the engine light on, nothing different other than looking at the engine light. Purchased a heater unit, just waiting for the DEF tank to be empty.
How long did you drive it for before getting replaced? Did the "engine won't start" warning ever show up?

I am in AZ and don't really need to heat the adblue around here if the freezing point is -11C

Edit: Went to a dealership in town, the service guys said he has NEVER seen a car not start because of the AdBlue tank issue, told me he was comfortable if I waited until the Oct/Nov ruling comes down (it won't get below 70 in my garage until maybe Jan...the Phoenix heat is working for me for a change)

Last edited:

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Mine went out at 61,000, 11/30/15. Dealer charge about $850.00. Took it up with VW directly and they agreed to eat 1/2 because of "loyal customer" consideration. (this was my second VW TDI and I've used this dealer exclusively) Still regard as bad news because I think it should be classified as part of emission control equipment that should fall under same warranty as all other emission components.

jetpuck

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2011 Jetta TDI
Just spent a fortune to get it replaced...

84k miles. Sensor gave out. Dealer told me it would cost a lot to fix and it did. I called VW...and they said because I'm part of the class action lawsuit they could not talk with me, but only my lawyer (I do not fault them for this, as this is a separate issue).

My issue is this...another major component goes out? I've had a turbo blow out at 10k, a fuel rail sensor go out at 12k (VW gave me an extension to my warrantee due to these items). I've had numerous factory recalls and 4 or 5 warantee repair items.

Sorry...had to say this...but after I get my money from VW...I'm not coming back. I've read how many of you/us have had reliable VWs...but this Passat has been a dog...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
And my wife's car joins the club...

Mileage: 63,504
Warning Light(s): CEL. Recently topped off urea tank with DEF I purchased at the local NAPA (60k was the first service I did on this car at home.)
Code(s): P202B (cleared once with my VAG-COM, came back immediately)
Repair Time: TBD
Any pertinent info from dealer: Since I used to work for the nearest dealer, but no longer do, they will not get a dime from me. I'll buy the Touareg kit from ECS Tuning and do some soldering.

Between this, the Takata airbag, and likely two big hits on CarFax (neither our fault) I'd love to hand over the keys when it is time to choose. Unfortunately my wife still loves the car, and since it is such a good long distance cruiser I can't say I blame here. I'm done with VW when this one goes though.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
And my wife's car joins the club...

Mileage: 63,504
Warning Light(s): CEL. Recently topped off urea tank with DEF I purchased at the local NAPA (60k was the first service I did on this car at home.)
Code(s): P202B (cleared once with my VAG-COM, came back immediately)
Repair Time: TBD
Any pertinent info from dealer: Since I used to work for the nearest dealer, but no longer do, they will not get a dime from me. I'll buy the Touareg kit from ECS Tuning and do some soldering.

Between this, the Takata airbag, and likely two big hits on CarFax (neither our fault) I'd love to hand over the keys when it is time to choose. Unfortunately my wife still loves the car, and since it is such a good long distance cruiser I can't say I blame here. I'm done with VW when this one goes though.
You don't need to solder anything. I bought the kit from 1st VW Parts and everything fit great. Buy the kit that I mentioned a few pages back.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
You don't need to solder anything. I bought the kit from 1st VW Parts and everything fit great. Buy the kit that I mentioned a few pages back.
Or try the ExpressOEMParts.com (as suggested in the "Replacing the Adblue Heater..." thread:

http://www.expressoemparts.com/oe-volkswagen/7l6198970a

That is the one I bought. 212.91$, all cables have the correct length. Replaced it in November last year, working nicely since then.
Thanks for the catch. 24 pages. At some point in the middle of the night when I was reading the thread I started skimming. As soon as I get my car back from the dealer (that is a whole 'nother crazy thing) I'll order one of these and get to work.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Thanks for the catch. 24 pages. At some point in the middle of the night when I was reading the thread I started skimming. As soon as I get my car back from the dealer (that is a whole 'nother crazy thing) I'll order one of these and get to work.
Take a picture before you remove anything from the tank. Make sure the lines on the tank and cap are back in the same place when reinstalled.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Any body know if we take the emissions fix if the extended warranty covers the heater? The docs are pretty vague. Would make a difference if I choose to keep the car or not.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
I was told by VW if you file a complaint with NHTSA and have your paperwork from them and your bill from VW that this additional expense will be refunded by VW at time of trade in. Makes sure you file with NHTSA and keep your paid receipt from VW. Those buying non-VW parts will likely not get the additional $. This is what VW customer care stated.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Any body know if we take the emissions fix if the extended warranty covers the heater? The docs are pretty vague. Would make a difference if I choose to keep the car or not.
My read is the warranty covers all AdBlue components, so it should. I'm keeping mine and will be staring at the MIL until after I get the fix (yes, I'm an optimist). If they don't cover it under the new warranty I'll be sending a note to the EPA, FTC, and the Judge :)