Just crossed over to the dark side

qquixotic

TDI
Passat SEL 2013
Gave up my Prius for a brand spanking new, shiny black Passat SEL TDI with just about all the goodies. After driving the Prius for a few years, I'm finding I can hardly ride this thing--too much power! I'm gonna start getting tickets again... Very different personality. Now i'm spewing the blue smoke, at least for a few years.

Just filled up for the first time and got about 37 mpg in mixed driving, half commuting and around town errands, and a lot of fooling around with the settings and such. Not to mention multiple stops for the car wash, damn these black cars! Bit of a comedown from the Prius but pretty much what I hoped and expected. No highway trips yet but hopefully soon.

Wanted something a little more satisfying for road trips; I am happy so far. Feels like a limo after the Prius, although it could be quieter. And the mileage isn't that much worse, especially in the winter when the Prius suffered from cold battery syndrome. Reading about the various little Passat problems though, I'm glad I bought an extended warranty. Wish me luck!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Mileage should get better as you get a little more used to driving and some of the torque novelty where's off:cool::D

overall though it's a wayyyyyyyyy better car than the prius IMO.

On the highway you will love it when you get 50+ relatively easy too.

what was your prius getting you on avg for city/hwy?

qquixotic

TDI
Passat SEL 2013
what was your prius getting you on avg for city/hwy?
My Prius was a 2010 and in the three years I drove it averaged 47.66 overall. In the warm seasons I could easily stay over 50, but in our cold northeast winters it was the lower to mid 40s. A fine commuter car but not ideal for longer drives in my estimation. Definitely had its quirks. Hybrids do change your driving style.

I will be satisfied with the Passat if it's reliable and stays in the upper thirties for the commuting. So far it seems to be right there.

Jim13tdi

TDI
13 passat sel prem
Good luck with the new car, hope you enjoy itas much as I do. Just a word of caution with the car wash. I have black on black and use a "brushless" car wash and have swirl marks all over now. Didn't really notice till the sun finally came out here and now see them all over. Lots of work ahead of me this spring.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Please share with us details of your extended warranty. How much did it cost you? What does it cover? Who is offering it?

The reason I ask is because I get the feeling that the consensus on this board is that they are not worth the money. You were convinced otherwise. I think it would be of benefit to explain why you think so. Perhaps you were given a better offer than most of the others have seen.

Thank you.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Save every fuel purchase receipt from today until you trade it in hopefully 10 years down the road.

Make sure you have Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for the life of the loan (or for the first 100k miles).

Outside of that, welcome aboard!!!!!

Bears38

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Same story here...just switched from 2010 Prius to a black 2013 TDI SE. Hybrid to turbo is a drastic change and I'm having to re-calibrate my driving style, but in a good way. Btw, my first post here at TDIClub but I look forward to learning from all you guys.

qquixotic

TDI
Passat SEL 2013
Thanks to all for your thoughts.

This is the more accurate description of the extended coverage I bought. Rather than misquote the numbers I will grab the paperwork when I have a spare moment and summarize. I haven't ever purchased such a thing before but between the various issues discussed here and my one bad service experience with the Prius (warning lights came on, the dealer never could figure out how to fix, and after several weeks they wound up swapping out just about the entire electrical half of the drivetrain--thousands of dollars worth, fortunately under warranty), I decided to play safe this time.

Save every fuel purchase receipt from today until you trade it in hopefully 10 years down the road.

Make sure you have Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for the life of the loan (or for the first 100k miles).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
qquixotic,

Welcome to TDIClub! If you like the car now, you'll be beside yourself when you see how much the fuel economy improves when the weather warms up. :D

Prius what? ;)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Drive it like you drove the Prius and see how the fuel economy compares. Remember, the VW is75% bigger than the Prius.

Keep the MFD on the live fuel economy setting.

Don

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.

Again, keeping every single receipt is a waste and unnecessary. Not to mention, you're doing nothing but spreading fear (this is EXACTLY one of the many reasons the HPFP issue seems worse than it is to begin with).

Seriously, keeping anything more than the last 1-2 tanks is pointless. This is the last time I try to tell you, VW cannot deny warranty coverage without proof of contamination which will be gone after more than 1-2 tanks. If the HPFP does go and your tank is full of diesel they cannot speculate that you may have used contaminated fuel thousands of miles ago against you.

To the threadstarter, enjoy the car!

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Save every fuel purchase receipt from today until you trade it in hopefully 10 years down the road.!!......

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saving your receipts. Some feel its a waste, others (like me) don't and intend on saving their receipts. Do what makes you feel comfortable and ignore those that disagree. There is no right or wrong with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Welcome! I bet you will grow to love the Passat vs the Prius. A coworker has one and it definitely has different priorities.

Plus, look on the bright side...you are treating the environment better than if you were buying another hybrid ha. Takes a lot of fuel energy to mine, transport, and develop those darn lithium ion batteries.

qquixotic

TDI
Passat SEL 2013
Extended mechanical coverage

To this question, I paid $1565 for six years/100K miles; all mechanical including turbo is covered, though turbo housing is excluded unless damage results from failure of mechanical parts. Also includes electrical and "high tech" components. Does not include standard service/normal wear like brake pads tires, alignment, etc. Also transferrable if I want to sell before it ends.
I am hoping it is money wasted, because this is one gamble I wouldn't mind losing. My last VW was a 1987 Golf which I drove for 10 years with only one failure--a fuel pump. Great car but very basic, and I figure it wouldn't take too many failures to run up a $1500 bill nowadays...certainly happened with my Prius though still covered by warranty.
Please share with us details of your extended warranty. How much did it cost you? What does it cover? Who is offering it?
The reason I ask is because I get the feeling that the consensus on this board is that they are not worth the money. You were convinced otherwise. I think it would be of benefit to explain why you think so. Perhaps you were given a better offer than most of the others have seen.
Thank you.