Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Nice!!! More things to play with. I did not know these were there... :) But only 4 diesel.
Those are only the built-in templates shown. You will need to create your own, since those don't apply to UDS modules anyway. I'll start a new thread with handy stuff to log in our 2012 Passat TDIs. :)

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Filled up today --710 miles / 14.1 gallons = 50.35 mpg's ------MFD read 48.0 mpg's

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Gregg, just a thought: If you're inclined to record each fill-up, also record MFD tank average. The spread between MFD and calculated tend to not fluctuate by much. So when it does, you can assume that pump to be off. The other benefit is you'll know how much to adjust the the ECU to dial in the MFD.

Great numbers, by the way.

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Gregg, just a thought: If you're inclined to record each fill-up, also record MFD tank average. The spread between MFD and calculated tend to not fluctuate by much. So when it does, you can assume that pump to be off. The other benefit is you'll know how much to adjust the the ECU to dial in the MFD.

Great numbers, by the way.
I do note the MFD calculation every time, usually post it here as well, this is the most it has ever been off, certainly could be because of filling issues or pump inaccuracies, but I could care less about adjusting the ECU as I'm just fine with the MFD accuracy as it has usually been +- 1mpg.

My mpg's are edging upwards now that temps are warming, but I expect them to trend down again this fall/winter. On my last highway trip, cruise set at 76 mph, 650+ miles, I averaged 49+ mpg's (hand-calculated)....that works for me.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I showed 52.3 MPG on Trip 1, actual was 49.4 MPG, over 290 miles almost all @ 65mph, lots of up and downs.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I showed 52.3 MPG on Trip 1, actual was 49.4 MPG, over 290 miles almost all @ 65mph, lots of up and downs
I've been experimenting with some 62/63mph highway travel this week, really surprised to see how much the mpg's increased from my normal 65 mph drive, just based off of the MFD it looks like approx. 7% increase, I'll check hand-calculated numbers when I finally need some fuel.

Niner

Has anyone tried 56 mph in 5th gear at 1900 rpms for max MPG readings?

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Seems low for highway.....how many miles in the sample? How fast were you driving?
I did 550-ish miles on a road trip averaging 46 mpg. The average was brought down by the next two weeks (100 miles) of my low 30's short commute.

raydi07

TDI
2012 Passat
Started out in nashville towards cleveland wed this week. Temp at about 73 deg. Was averaging aout 48.9 mpg hwy driving at 68mph. Went thru a rainstorm in ohio and afterwards temp dropped to 54 deg with a mpg avg of 45.7. What a difference the temp made. overall impressed the next day on filling back up before i headed over to philadelphia. 14.4 gal at 690 miles calc's out to 47.9 mpg. Not to bad. Now have 3987 miles on the odometer and waiting to hit the 50mpg mark. Auto running on cruise control at 68mpg always.
Head back down to nashville area Monday-Tuesday. will report that mileage as the temps will be back up in the 70's once i reach tennessee on I-81.

Just realized - - wrong thread, this is the manual thread. Admin, please move to auto thread!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Raydi07, just copy your text, then delete your post here, and print it in the DSG thread.

I'm anxious to see how you do on I81. On flat I95 (VA-FL) I leveled out around 46mpg, at 65-70mph...headwind, some rain. I'll bet on hilly I81, you'll be able to use the hills to your advantage.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Must've gotten some summer formulation diesel, the MPGs went from 53 to 59 (!), on most recent drive from PA to NJ, about 95 miles.

Niner

Must've gotten some summer formulation diesel, the MPGs went from 53 to 59 (!), on most recent drive from PA to NJ, about 95 miles.
How slow were you driving and in what gear, to get those numbers on MPG1 setting?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
6th all the way, may be around 70 mph. 99.99% highway. Sole occupant, 190lb :)

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Must've gotten some summer formulation diesel, the MPGs went from 53 to 59 (!), on most recent drive from PA to NJ, about 95 miles
6th all the way, may be around 70 mph. 99.99% highway
I've seen the 57-60mpg's on the highway too, but at 65mph not 70mph.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
With my new tuning and mods I went from 40-44mpg to 50-53mpg driving the same route

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I've had 9 fillups so far and have compared the MPG reported by the MFA to the calculated MPG based on the miles on the odometer and the gallons from the pump. I have filled up at the exact same station every time, on either side of the same pump and have pumped until I can physically see non-foamy diesel. Overall MFA averages 1.8 mpg or 5% higher than the "hand calculated" in my case. Hope this data point is helpful.

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
I've got right at 700 miles and haven't filled up yet. Avg for tank currently resides at 50mpg. I have been driving somewhat in a semi hypermiler mode on my way into work the past few mornings an have gotten in the low to mid 60's on this 25 mile mainly highway trip. Unbelievable almost!

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I stopped for "gas" yesterday and with about 50/50 highway and city the car got over 40 mpg.

It's got about 8k miles on it now and the fuel economy seems to be going up already.

Im doing an almost identical road trip as the one I did a few months back, in a few months so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference in mileage on that trip.

njtdifan

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
My avg driving is 50/50 city hwy. Cruise mostly at 72 mph. I do not obsess about MPG, but try to strike a balance of fun-to-drive and improving average as I go. Still in "break-in" mode too, so my my on ramp runs are pretty spirited...