install rear view camera in 2009 jetta

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
I just installed a reverse camera but it won,t show up. It shows on my mfd but it only shows the word BACK on the screen. I wired it to the back up lights in the trunk. I,m wondering if that is the wrong hook up?
HELP!!!!!

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
Install rear view camera on 2009 jetta

It is a plug&play unit it has a redand a black power wire along with the camera wire
I plugged the yellow rca line into the harness in the back of the unit.

Last edited:

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
I got one these nifty cameras for my Jetta after seeing someone on VWVortex had one, it fits in the license plate light:

http://www.ownta.com/vw-jetta-special-car-parking-rear-view-camera-for-vw-jetta.html

Should work with my JVC head unit. After reading the instructions for the camera and studying the wiring I've no idea how to install it. Seems like there is a wire too many. So the box is just sitting behind my sofa for now till i get more time to play.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
TOMC,
My 2009 JEtta does not have NAV only display in inst cluster. Is that where you expect to see rear video. Did you connect the yellow wire as a video? is it an RCA jack that plugs into a dedicated video input on the MFD?

The Camera seems so useful, I want to purchase, but need to do some research. I have the Bentley so I'll look a bit more.

Last edited:

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I don't think you can get a picture image displayed on your MFD. The camera would need to be connected to your NAV unit ... right ???

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I don't think the rear view camera is compatible with the RCD-510, only the RNS-510. I may be wrong here, but I think this is how it is. The screen resolution on the RCD-510 is pretty low, at least compared to the RNS-510.

There is absolutely no way to get the picture displayed on the instrument cluster. It's a red/partial orange pixel display or in the case of the '10, a solid white pixel display with absolutely no capability for motion video or any color display.

Edit: I misread the first post. If you have a video in jack, you might be in luck. You might just need to re-code your RCD with VCDS.

Last edited:

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
As I understand it, the RCD-510 will work with a video rear view camera. I don't know where it plugs into but I expect you need the VW OEM unit and a module with an RCA connector on it. The video signal is processed there and goes into the large black connector in the back of the RCD-510. Has anyone seen an RCA connector on the back of an RCD-510. I don't recall seeing one. Also the resolution is an issue. Good to match it up! Does anyone have one working? I have a query into the company that sells the one agxster has. Let you know what they say. Certainly will be cheaper through them if it will work.

Last edited: