replacing fuel temp sensor

HODEDO51

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI / white
Popped the dome off the fuel pump, and I was about to replace the fuel temp sensor, but it seems to be firmly in place. I also noticed all of the top fasteners to all other components in the dome section were corrodded and rusty..........water I assume. Anyhow, before I pry the old sensor loose, I thought I might confer with a surgeon who has been in the dome before, and has performed the delicate fuelsensorectomy procedure. Is it fastened in place? Is it supposed to be simply sitting in place, and slip over a couple of shafts? Thanks / Hodedo51

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Held in by 2 allen head screws i think. If it is too rusty, I would think you are going to twist off the heads. Those screws are really small.

Look at the howto, it shows the screws you remove I would think.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
They're torx actually. T-20 IIRC. The temp sender's contacts deform when they're tightened, but it should pop right up after the bolts are off.

Camr0n

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
Not to jack a post but for teh sake of not making a whole new post to ask a simple question, I was wondering if it is manditory to replace the seals when changing the fuel temp sensor? Would it be ok if you just replaced the sensor and put everything back together?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Camr0n said:
I was wondering if it is manditory to replace the seals when changing the fuel temp sensor? Would it be ok if you just replaced the sensor and put everything back together?
You can. Just be aware that if the seal is really flattened that you might not get a good seal. You won't know until you try it.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Camr0n said:
sounds good. Thanks! One more thing though, were exactly is the pump?
CamrOn, based on this question, do you really want to attempt this?

IP is in front of the block, to the passenger side. It has metal fuel lines that connect to the injectors.

Camr0n

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
Well I was going to try. I know I need the MN003 or w/e the triangle bolt is, the temp sensor, some torx screws, and some wrenches. I think I can handle it. I just need the instructions. Is it possible to replace the sensor without removing the injection pump? Should I have a professional do this? Ha

Camr0n

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
Well I just replaced the fuel temp sensor and it changed nothing. My car still starts up rough as hell. I was told the injection timing was correct. Any help?

EDIT- I looked and there are air bubbles in my fuel line after the fuel filter. They only appear while the engine is running. After it is shut off there are no bubbles. What would be the most likey cause? Fuel filter? Hoses? I changed the hoses in the ECU.

Last edited:

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Camr0n said:
EDIT- I looked and there are air bubbles in my fuel line after the fuel filter. They only appear while the engine is running. After it is shut off there are no bubbles. What would be the most likey cause? Fuel filter? Hoses? I changed the hoses in the ECU.
Now you know why it's running "rough as hell". Find the cause of this leak and you'll have smooth sailing.

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
I have a 96 passat and I thought I could pop the top of the fuel pump, replace the fuel temp sensor, replace the top seal and be done. Instead I have diesel fuel shooting from around the 5 sided special bolt. It seems to be a theaded hole, and the gasket should seal off the internal top part before the bolt hole. Where is this diesel fuel coming from? And will I need to now redo the middle seal? Thanks for any suggestions.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The seal either wasn't replaced and should have been, or is displaced and not sealing. You'll have to remove the top and try again. If the bottom edge of the seal appears to be flattened and flush with the grove in the top, you need a new seal.

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
Thank you Powder Hound...I'll order the new seal today and replace the top seal this weekend. Thanks for your help.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Camron - I suspect the plastic T on your fuel filter.