TDI's in Buffalo,NY area!!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hey Everyone,

I have a '03 Black A4 in the Lewiston area. I have lived in the Buffalo area for about 4 years now. Can anyone recommend a reliable/knowledgeable shop ? I need an intake cleaning and would prefer not to do it myself (although it looks tempting). I had the timing belt done at Orchard Park VW 3 years ago but would like to avoid the dealerships (unless recommended as good and fair). I am willing to travel for a good and reliable mechanic.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Well,if VW of OP has declined in the past year,there is really no one in WNY area I trust to work on TDI's. The closest ones are in central NY(SelectEuroCars in Waterloo,NY)-I haven't personally used them,but a few members in Rochester area have said good things,and they are on the trusted list-and the closest one in PA I would completely trust is Metalman(his member name here) in Sunbury,PA(south of Williamsport)-I've used him twice for a timing belt and injection pump replacement.You would have to check with either of these places to see if they'd want to tackle an intake cleaning. You could also PM member n8ronj (Nate)-he has an 03 also,and has done some work on it himself,so he might be able to help you out also-he lives in Barker.

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
Well,if VW of OP has declined in the past year,there is really no one in WNY area I trust to work on TDI's. The closest ones are in central NY(SelectEuroCars in Waterloo,NY)-I haven't personally used them,but a few members in Rochester area have said good things,and they are on the trusted list-and the closest one in PA I would completely trust is Metalman(his member name here) in Sunbury,PA(south of Williamsport)-I've used him twice for a timing belt and injection pump replacement.You would have to check with either of these places to see if they'd want to tackle an intake cleaning. You could also PM member n8ronj (Nate)-he has an 03 also,and has done some work on it himself,so he might be able to help you out also-he lives in Barker.
To be absolutely fair to VW of OP my issues with them stem from repairs that took 6 months to complete and their damaging my my car twice in the process. These issues were not related to the engine. They still might know the TDI better than anyone in WNY, I cannot address that at this point as they have not done drive train work for me.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I just did an intake cleaning a couple weeks back on my friend's 99.5. It wasn't too bad. I need to invest in a couple simple tools that would help make the job quicker and easier. I am available tho to do more.

On that same car I'm trying to diagnose two issues...
1. Long starting time (4-6 seconds) compared to my car and others that is slow. Mine starts within two turns of the starter. I think it's a fueling issue. IP might need hammer mod or at least get looked with VCDS for the IQ value setting to see if it's off. Also wondering if the injectors are old and not up to snuff.
2. Dead speedometer/odometer and mis-reading fuel gauge. Possibly a coolant migration problem. Changed the sensor on the tranny and that didn't fix it.

We need more guru/experts in the area for gtg times to diagnose problems. I wish we were more like the eastern Mass. area crew they have a ton of people with a lot of knowledge.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ellicottville on Rt.219-I saw a black B4 Passat TDI sedan pulling out of driveway of house across from school around noon-On my way back through after picking up load in Jamestown around 2pm-black B4 was in driveway,and it looked like a silver A4 Jetta TDI wagon was in the old barn.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Around 8am -black JSW passed me in left lane going west on I-90 near Cheektowaga-then a little later a silver A4 Jetta wagon TDI passed me on I-90 west near Hamburg exit.....

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Spotted - Barker, NY (top northeast part of Niagara County - nearly in the lake!):

Went to the high school with my daughter for a banquet and saw 2 Jettas from the road. A white A5 next to a black A6. I pull up closer and since there's an open spot next to white A5 I pull in. My daughter was a little embarrassed to see me pull my phone camera out to grab a pic of 3 TDI's in order of generation next to each other. That was just so cool!

I have to share this stuff here because no one around me gets it. I'll post the pic if it turned out ok - I had to be quick :)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I saw 2 TDI's on Thruway westbound today between Pembroke and Depew-first a white gold '12 Jetta passed me(the new body style) w/ Vincent VW plate frames,then a few miles later an 09-11 platinum gray Jetta passed me(had Rome VW plate frames).....

Claym

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE dsg with sunroof no nav
I was in Buffalo over the weekend. I was on niagara falls boulevard, main by UB downtown near Chippewa on deleware and generally all over town. I was the only TDI i saw the entire time :(

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow-been a few months since a sighting..... anyhow,I spotted a few on my way to and from Falconer to pick up a load. First was a new white Passat TDI SE,passed me on I90 west,then he pulled into the Clarence travel plaza. It had NY plates,and a Homer VW plate frame. Second was on my way back,same spot I've seen them before-a house across from Ellicottville school on Rt.219-I saw dark blue B4 sedan parked under tree-usually there is a silver Jetta TDI wagon w/Ohio plates parked in the barn. Third one was a platinum A5 Jetta TDI,turning left off Peters Rd. heading south on Rt 219(Ashford area).

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spotted a newer red Jetta sedan-passed me on I-90E near Buffalo airport area-had Northtown VW plate frames.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
During my travels on I-90 east/west between Pembroke and Dunkirk today,I spotted quite a few TDI's. A black A6 "older" Jetta(05.5-06 I think), a new style blue Jetta,a couple JSW's, and a black new Passat TDI SE w/Massachusetts plates that was headed westbound,passed me just past the Williamsville toll barrier around 11:30am.

liloldbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDi
I spotted an A5 Jetta TDI earlier today around 10 AM headed south on Transit road around French. Female driver... I doubt she's on here.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New Jetta TDI passed me on I-90 east going over Transit Rd(Rt.78) a little before 3pm today-it was candy white w/ Dorschel plate frame.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,what I thought was a platinum gray Jetta Sportwagen passed me on I90 east past Silver Creek-when it went by,it was actually a GOLF Sportwagen...they did have Ontario plates-first one I've seen. They exited onto the Angola service area.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
White 4dr A4 Golf passed me on 290E near the blue water tower-had a white Kerma TDI sticker at top of hatch window,and the rear looked like it had a sooty film;).....

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Where are the good VW junkyards in WNY? I'm in Montana and will be driving the Golf home to WNY around Thanksgiving. I need a few parts, such as a complete driver's door card.

(There are two junkyards within 75 miles of me out here. One has no VW's and the other, very few.)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are the good VW junkyards in WNY? I'm in Montana and will be driving the Golf home to WNY around Thanksgiving. I need a few parts, such as a complete driver's door card.

(There are two junkyards within 75 miles of me out here. One has no VW's and the other, very few.)
None that I know of. I believe there is one somewhere in eastern PA.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
White Touareg TDI w/ Dorschel plate frames passed me on I290 east near Main St-continued on 90W around 2:35pm......

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
TDI Jetta on 75 in Atlanta today passed me & signed. Blue , Ga. plates Fulton co.
Btw 48.9 mpg from Tn. to Fl. Just driving

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm-been awhile.I saw 2 today(probably more)- one was a black JSW w/ Orchard Park VW plate frameheading east on 90 by exit 52e-I ended up exiting there.Then while at light at Union Rd,a white Touareg TDI was next to me-Dorschel plate frame. Don't see TDI T-regs much-looked and sounded nice(could hear the turbo whine when pulling away from light):D....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was up in Orchard Park area this afternoon and decided to pull into VW of Orchard Park. I saw a maroon 96 B4 Passat w/ no plates on the side,then I drove to back-pretty depressing, a couple lines of turned in TDI's and some more mixed in the rows at ends-close to 30(maybe more). They still had the new '15 TDI's also....getting tougher to find TDI's on the road around here....