2011 JSW Spare Tire Well Seal Grommet

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I have searched far and wide and am not able to find a replacement spare tire well seal. I noticed a little bit of water in my spare tire well and upon further investigation noticed a piece of duct tape covering the oval shaped hole where a body plug once was in my trunk floor. It looks like that is where the water has gotten in from. It is oval shaped and measures roughly 27x20 MM (oval shaped). There is a lip that a grommet/seal would grab onto. Does anyone have a part number or lead or any other recommendation for sealing this? I am sure I could silicone a piece of rubber or plastic over it but would prefer a factory seal. I may swing by the dealer tomorrow for kicks and giggles to see if they can help.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
If you'd post a pic of the area, this would be helpful. Be sure to take a wider pic, so that it is possible to identify the plug/hole in question...

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
If you'd post a pic of the area, this would be helpful. Be sure to take a wider pic, so that it is possible to identify the plug/hole in question...
I'll grab a pic later but am pretty sure the part number you gave is it. I'll swing by the dealer around the corner from my office in a couple hours and see if they have it in stock. By the way, thank you for the number. I searched for about an hour online and couldn't find anything.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
Stopped by the dealer and they confirmed that 1K0899184 is correct and they ordered it. Pics below are of the hole.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Glad it was the correct p/n.
Wonder how that plug got lost... Seems it must be sitting pretty tightly

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
My guess is it was removed/damaged by the prior owner/mechanic and the simple fix was to put a piece of duct tape over it. I discovered it when I noticed a small amount of water in my trunk and I pulled my spare to wipe it up.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drain(s) might be leaking. That plug may be missing because the PO removed it to let the water out.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drain(s) might be leaking. That plug may be missing because the PO removed it to let the water out.
I do have a sunroof but I don't suspect it is leaking. There was just a small amount of water. This was my first assumption though when I found the water. It wasn't until I pulled the spare out that I found the missing plug.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
I just swung by the dealer and picked up the plug. It was exactly as pictured above and snapped right in. Cost me a whopping $3.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
After driving back to GA from Louisiana in tons of rain, I started cleaning my car and sure enough the tire well filled with water. Started checking drains and no water came from rear driver side corner. Popped the trim off and found the drain completely disconnected and dumping into the trunk. Looks like you were right

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk