What other cars have you DRIVEN as you consider replacement?

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
If your JSW has 17s you should be able to swap them over.
Yeah. Had the 'cheap' JSW - 6MT version came with 16" wheels (and I also just have a 16" winter setup - selling it will certainly help).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yeah. Had the 'cheap' JSW - 6MT version came with 16" wheels (and I also just have a 16" winter setup - selling it will certainly help).
You might be able to find a local vw dealer that has 17" take offs.

The stock tires (hankook ventus s1 noble 2) are okay in the dry... not sure on wet traction yet. From the reviews I've read so far they are a bit squirrely. Dry handling does seem a little squishy/squirmy. Comfortable yes, not great handling though. It's not the car, it's the tires for sure being the weak point.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I have tested the GTI, the golf wagon a volvo v60 and v70 xc and really do not love any of them enough to take a loan on one, I may just sell it back and drive my summer car for a year a saab 93 convertible, not a ideal solution but nothing has wowed me yet.

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
17 Forester Touring 2.5i - picking up Saturday and parking the JSW (except occasional dog ride until VW $$ comes!)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have tested the GTI, the golf wagon a volvo v60 and v70 xc and really do not love any of them enough to take a loan on one, I may just sell it back and drive my summer car for a year a saab 93 convertible, not a ideal solution but nothing has wowed me yet.
I'm surprised you didn't love the GTI, unless it was because you wanted more room like in a JSW/GSW. What was there not to love?

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I, too love my jsw but who ever received $600 less for their car than they paid after almost three years of ownership and 50,000 miles? I've thought about the Volvo wagons. I once owned one and loved it and the newer ones are nice cars but I think I'll just keep the cash and run my old 1993 Range Rover for a while. I can buy a lot of gas and pay for a lot of repairs with the geeters they're going to pay me, though I will definitely miss it. It's comfortable, handles well and, of course, gets killer mileage.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I initially thought I'd take the buyback, But after weeks of looking and agonizing, I think I'll take the $5K and go for the fix. My 2010 JSW has 132K, it looks and still feels like new (to me, anyway.) I expected to go at least 200K, like my previous 2002 version, so I'm barely half way through its life. No alternative really grabs me. I don't want to have to spend money and I don't want to give up the diesel virtues. So the mileage may drop a bit. So, what? That was only the third reason why I chose the car in the first place.

I was thinking of waiting for the Alltrack. But now I don't have to, at least for another 4 years.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I initially thought I'd take the buyback, But after weeks of looking and agonizing, I think I'll take the $5K and go for the fix. My 2010 JSW has 132K, it looks and still feels like new (to me, anyway.) I expected to go at least 200K, like my previous 2002 version, so I'm barely half way through its life. No alternative really grabs me. I don't want to have to spend money and I don't want to give up the diesel virtues. So the mileage may drop a bit. So, what? That was only the third reason why I chose the car in the first place.

I was thinking of waiting for the Alltrack. But now I don't have to, at least for another 4 years.
If you're going to keep it past 120k miles I'd recommend a cp3 pump. buy it from fixmyvw :cool:

http://www.fixmyvw.com/2micron-cp3-retrofit-pump-kit-for-cr-tdis/

Also consider a yiming belt cover to prevent anything from getting into where the timing belt it at.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
The GTI I drove was ok, I did not love the 18 inch wheels, and compared to my JSW it felt a little small and well it said it had a pano roof , it seemed much much smaller than the pano on my wagon , which made the car seem very dark, I have beige on my JSW, drove a Black interior GTI. If I got a killer deal I would more than likely seriously consider it, but it does not really speak to me, the Golf wagon I drove was way worse than the GTI bit at least it was a wagon. If I did not have a cracked DPF I would seriously consider keeping my car but the cracked DPF at 125,000 miles did make my decision much easier, all I gotta do is find a replacement car. I would jump on a 16 TDI wagon but it seems they will not be released. :(

I'm surprised you didn't love the GTI, unless it was because you wanted more room like in a JSW/GSW. What was there not to love?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I test drove a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP yesterday. My uncle is buying it. Fantastic car! 260 hp, gdi, 2L-turbo I4. Most fun I've had behind the wheel in a long time. Anyone who says America can't make great cars is dead wrong.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thank you for sharing your opinion on the GTI. I'm mostly thinking about keeping my Golf TDI and getting the CP3 HPFP upgrade in the next month, but I wonder if I'm making a mistake not just getting a new GTI. I'm sure I'd like the GTI, but I still like my car and I hate the idea of spending so much money. The loaded GTI I'd want would not be cheap and my buyback isn't so amazing for my 2010 with pretty many miles.

The GTI I drove was ok, I did not love the 18 inch wheels, and compared to my JSW it felt a little small and well it said it had a pano roof , it seemed much much smaller than the pano on my wagon , which made the car seem very dark, I have beige on my JSW, drove a Black interior GTI. If I got a killer deal I would more than likely seriously consider it, but it does not really speak to me, the Golf wagon I drove was way worse than the GTI bit at least it was a wagon. If I did not have a cracked DPF I would seriously consider keeping my car but the cracked DPF at 125,000 miles did make my decision much easier, all I gotta do is find a replacement car. I would jump on a 16 TDI wagon but it seems they will not be released. :(

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
If i was you I keep the Golf , IIRC you keep it in great shape, wait the 2 years and at that time decide if a GTI will work for you. I would go that route w my JSW but I have a cracked DPF and will need a TB in 500 miles , do not think it makes sense to put $3,000 grand into a car to wait on the VW fix or drive it 2 more years and hope nothing else bites me in the ass with my JSW.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the GTI. I'm mostly thinking about keeping my Golf TDI and getting the CP3 HPFP upgrade in the next month, but I wonder if I'm making a mistake not just getting a new GTI. I'm sure I'd like the GTI, but I still like my car and I hate the idea of spending so much money. The loaded GTI I'd want would not be cheap and my buyback isn't so amazing for my 2010 with pretty many miles.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Check out the GTI ...
The GTI is on our JSW replacement list as well, as my wife still wants a manual transmission. Do you know if the GTI requires premium fuel or if it'll run on regular with reduced performance without pinging? Thanks.

We also plan to drive the Golf Sportwagen 1.8T S with the 5-Speed stick, but I am guessing that its interior will be a step down from our 2010 JSW.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The GTI is on our JSW replacement list as well, as my wife still wants a manual transmission. Do you know if the GTI requires premium fuel or if it'll run on regular with reduced performance without pinging? Thanks.

We also plan to drive the Golf Sportwagen 1.8T S with the 5-Speed stick, but I am guessing that its interior will be a step down from our 2010 JSW.
I ended up getting a pure white 2017 GTI with sport trim. This trim includes both Performance and lighting packages. I was torn between the two transmissions then I drove both back to back. Manual transmission won me over because it's what I know. It also won because it was just more fun! :)

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I ended up getting a pure white 2017 GTI with sport trim. This trim includes both Performance and lighting packages. I was torn between the two transmissions then I drove both back to back. Manual transmission won me over because it's what I know. It also won because it was just more fun! :)
Your move would seem great for those of us who eschew the shiftless route. What sort of fuel numbers are you anticipating?

(We all know TDI withdrawal pain awaits (fuel economy).....but how much?

ez

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT

We got a 2016 GTI SE w/PP/LB/DCC. Pretty much everything you can throw at it except Autobahn trim (who needs Nav with CarPlay?) and adaptive cruise/sensor whatnot.

It has been a joy the first 600 miles, and that's with me being good through the 1K break-in.

Doing some fuel tests. No idea what dealer filled it with before delivery. My guess is 87.

Filled once with 93, got back 29.1 MPG (real math) with more city than highway I think.

Just refilled with 89. Let's see what happens!

Fuel door cap says 87. So I think the motor/ECU knows what to do with what fuel you put in. If you have the performance pack will you maybe notice you're only pulling 215 instead of 220 hp? Maybe? (disclaimer - I do not know the full hp drop when not using 91+ fuel, but I know 220 is advertised as only being realized with 91+).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Your move would seem great for those of us who eschew the shiftless route. What sort of fuel numbers are you anticipating?
(We all know TDI withdrawal pain awaits (fuel economy).....but how much?
ez
It's not as big of a penalty as I was expecting. I've been getting around 30mpg on a regular basis. I just filled up my second tank and so far 29-30mpg is what I've been getting With mixed driving and a lovely rush hour commute.

With the same driving I'd be getting 38 in my TDI.

On my ride home from work today i got 35mpg per the onboard computer. But I didn't see much traffic on my way home.

I wasn't expecting TDI numbers, however for being a gas powered car that has a decent sized turbo, makes 220-230hp to the wheels, has a trick electronic front differential and brakes that bring a whole new meaning to "WOAH NOW!" It really is very efficient when you're not stomping on the gas pedal :D

We got a 2016 GTI SE w/PP/LB/DCC. Pretty much everything you can throw at it except Autobahn trim (who needs Nav with CarPlay?) and adaptive cruise/sensor whatnot.
It has been a joy the first 600 miles, and that's with me being good through the 1K break-in.
Doing some fuel tests. No idea what dealer filled it with before delivery. My guess is 87.
Filled once with 93, got back 29.1 MPG (real math) with more city than highway I think.
Just refilled with 89. Let's see what happens!
Fuel door cap says 87. So I think the motor/ECU knows what to do with what fuel you put in. If you have the performance pack will you maybe notice you're only pulling 215 instead of 220 hp? Maybe? (disclaimer - I do not know the full hp drop when not using 91+ fuel, but I know 220 is advertised as only being realized with 91+).
Fifth gear did a bit on premium fuel vs regular fuel vs posh fuels few years ago on a mk6 GTI...
https://youtu.be/WTaBngvsPrc

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
The new GTI sport trim for 2017 is the most appealing to me as well, good selection!!

No sunroof, more power, cloth seats, bigger brakes and the fancier differential!

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I'm trying to find a day to get to the Subaru dealer to test drive both the Forester and Outback. I've got a good understanding of the base 2.5i engines in both, but I really need to test out the 3.6R in the outback and the 2.0XT in the forester. Are they worth the $ premium? And how bad is the real world MPG hit?

I've read up on them tons, I can really find good published info on this stuff.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The new GTI sport trim for 2017 is the most appealing to me as well, good selection!!
No sunroof, more power, cloth seats, bigger brakes and the fancier differential!
So here's my quick take on the Sport...

I'll get the bad out of the way first...
Regrets? No, not really. Though I do have a few very minor quibbles...

#1 MPG, yeah it's not a TDI I know this all too well. It also has a smaller fuel tank for sure (12 gallons after the fuel low indicator came on :eek:). So far I've gotten right around 29-30mpg out of the first two tanks of gas (hand calculated). Not bad for the mix of stop, go, highway driving that I've done so far. And yes I have certainly used that big ol' snail under da hood. This is still a new car and the engine still isn't fully broken in yet it's still doing decent number mpg wise considering the amount of power this engine makes. I've been told to expect a 1-4mpg bump when the engine really starts to break in around 10k. For anyone wondering I was getting 37-38mpg out of my 2011 Golf on the same commute.

#2 I knew I'd be kicking myself no matter what transmission I chose. DSG would have been more of a get in and drive it kinda transmission. and I do somewhat miss the DSG farts :D In the end I still think that I made the better of the two choices since the manual is indeed just that much more fun to drive you also have to work a bit harder to get solid downshifts and upshifts. Much more rewarding then having the car do it for you.

#3 It's not a Golf R... The car I really wanted to go for. But I couldn't justify spending $10-15k more over the sport just to get AWD, 50 more HP and made in Germany.

The good...
The brakes are epic! They STOP the car FAST. And that fancy diff really does wonders for the performance of the car as well. Took a corner today that I'd be blowing the outer tire away on my tuned tdi. That electronic diff helped me tuck into that corner and pulled like a fright train the whole way though with very little tire spin.

This car really is a great overall package that is still efficient when you don't tap on that turbo :D

I'm trying to find a day to get to the Subaru dealer to test drive both the Forester and Outback. I've got a good understanding of the base 2.5i engines in both, but I really need to test out the 3.6R in the outback and the 2.0XT in the forester. Are they worth the $ premium? And how bad is the real world MPG hit?

I've read up on them tons, I can really find good published info on this stuff.
If I wasn't as tall as I am I'd have a strong case for the Forester! A good friend of mine has one with a manual transmission. Really is a great car and he manages lower to mid 30's mpg on long trips too. Expect a good 4-7mpg hit with the turbo or 3.6 engines though.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
#3 It's not a Golf R... The car I really wanted to go for. But I couldn't justify spending $10-15k more over the sport just to get AWD, 50 more HP and made in Germany.
Thats the take away I am seeing frequently, its seriously more expensive for the golf r, and its haldex AWD :(

What brakes did your 2011 golf come with? Stock gti non-pp brakes come on the sportwagen.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thats the take away I am seeing frequently, its seriously more expensive for the golf r, and its haldex AWD :(

What brakes did your 2011 golf come with? Stock gti non-pp brakes come on the sportwagen.
The brakes on the golf TDI were the same as the base model Golf. They did a good job given the power the car had. Even after a tune they were good enough. Though I did improve them a good bit with the TyrolSport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit:
http://www.tyrolsport.com/brakes/tyrolsport-brake-caliper-stiffening-kit-for-vw/audi/

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
If I wasn't as tall as I am I'd have a strong case for the Forester! A good friend of mine has one with a manual transmission. Really is a great car and he manages lower to mid 30's mpg on long trips too. Expect a good 4-7mpg hit with the turbo or 3.6 engines though.
I'm not short and haven't had any issue in either the forester or the outback, every Subaru I've been in from the last 20 years has had height adjustable seats, even if they were manual seats. I guess if you are 6'6" or taller you might need to get a Honda Element!

The newer Subarus with the CVT transmissions really got a huge jump in fuel economy compared to the old 4 speed auto's. The outbacks come with a 18ish gallon tank that helps too, 400-500 miles per tank of real world range isnt too terrible. The forester is still sporting a 16 gallon tank for a range closer to 400 miles.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The newer Subarus with the CVT transmissions really got a huge jump in fuel economy compared to the old 4 speed auto's. The outbacks come with a 18ish gallon tank that helps too, 400-500 miles per tank of real world range isnt too terrible. The forester is still sporting a 16 gallon tank for a range closer to 400 miles.

Am I correct in thinking Subaru no longer offers a manual transmission on the Outback or Forester?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm not short and haven't had any issue in either the forester or the outback, every Subaru I've been in from the last 20 years has had height adjustable seats, even if they were manual seats. I guess if you are 6'6" or taller you might need to get a Honda Element!
6'4" here... Guess it's how it's proportioned as to wether or not I fit in a car. Though I have found that the Golf seems to offer the best headroom and legroom of any car in its class.

Am I correct in thinking Subaru no longer offers a manual transmission on the Outback or Forester?
Correct on the outback. The Forrester still offers a 6 speed manual transmission on the base model though.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Busted out my down south 96 Ford aspire. 4 door. Power nothing. A/c. 5sp. Shaved the head while drunk, misread the dial on the surface grinder. Now it needs 93. Gets 54Mpg. Simple odb2.

Gets me point a to point B. Just like the vw did... Hmm.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
They offer a base engine forester with a manual transmission currently, in either the base or premium trim. The turbo may have last had one in 08?

The outback no longer gets a manual transmission option, but it has only been a few years since. Again, that was only with the base engine. They never offered a manual with the H6.

Both of these have a CVT with the 2.5 base engine, and a different CVT for the optional engines.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
They offer a base engine forester with a manual transmission currently, in either the base or premium trim. The turbo may have last had one in 08?
The outback no longer gets a manual transmission option, but it has only been a few years since. Again, that was only with the base engine. They never offered a manual with the H6.
Both of these have a CVT with the 2.5 base engine, and a different CVT for the optional engines.
Makes it hard to want a Subie.