Fan coming up when car is turned off

vik

TDI
Golf 2000 TDI
Let see if anybody else has noticed this.
I used to own a 2000 Golf TDI that would never have the fan kick in, even in summer 100' temperatures on a long slow line.
The car would not generate heat at all, it would take for ever to warm up and I guess it all translated in lower consumption (53mpg at 160k miles)

My new 2010 Golf TDI manual instead warms up faster and some times when I get home and park in the garage the fan would come up and run for about 10 minutes. It has been around 75 or 80' around here, the commute has not changed.

Just wondering if somebody has an idea of what is going on.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Are you sure its not doing the Regen? The Regen is when the car burns the soot trapped in the DPF.

Mine usually starts the Regen as I'm pulling into my garage. It is a normal process and nothing to worry about.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Happened to me for the first time when I pulled into the garage last night. Smelled a bit like burning rubber (like I had pealed out). I figured it was doing a regen.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI

sowegatdi

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG (traded @ 111,000)
YOU WOULD THINK that the salesperson would TELL you to expect that while going over the features and operation of the car!! I made two one hundred mile round trips to the dealer before the service manager (who had no clue about the regen) got one of the mechanics to come out and tell US what was going on. Then I found this forum.

Other than this instance, I usually have known more about the vehicles I was buying than the salesperson I was dealing with. Years ago you could return to a dealership after ten years and deal with the same employees. Nowadays, I take my Jetta in about the regen, two weeks after the purchase, and two thirds of the sales force is gone--including the sales manager and finance manager. Seems that in the 1970's dealers began hiring a large group of young salespeople who would sell cars to all of their friends and relatives. When that group had exhausted that customer pool, the dealer would starve them out or fire them and get another group in. So much for continuity and product knowledge.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Now Guys........I Got FLAMED up yesterday for suggesting to a new member that he use the Search feature.........By a 1 year wonder Vet!
so lets try and be nice to the New members..........and continue to do the Searches for them..........;) :eek:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
tomo, does your manual actually state something about the CR engine's regen cycle? It might be nice to post that in a sticky in the appropriate platform section.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
oilhammer said:
tomo, does your manual actually state something about the CR engine's regen cycle? It might be nice to post that in a sticky in the appropriate platform section.
It does not........and Chris didn't say anything about it.........
I am tired of these threads popping up also.........Believe me! I am finally getting used to the regens! Nasty smell!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
tomo366 said:
It does not........and Chris didn't say anything about it.........
I am tired of these threads popping up also.........Believe me! I am finally getting used to the regens! Nasty smell!!
You sure that is your car, ya old fart? :D :D :D

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
My cousin lost half of his house to fire caused by his Mercedes in his garage. You should monitor the vehicle if the fan is running when you leave it, especially if in a garage with house attached. Make sure it shuts off after 10 to 15 minutes. If it does not shut off in that amount of time, disconnect the battery.

I know this from experience.

BTW, I am beginning to make the correlation between probability of death on the highway in proportion to the number of miles driven. Almost got creamed by a college student today. She went directly from the on-ramp to the outside lane without even looking. She probably had some kind of texting emergency thing going on. Fortunate for me the Jetta has good brakes.

Last edited:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
mine have been running 15-20 minutes after stopping, sometimes longer if I start the car and shut it back off.

a simple REGEN cycle interrupted, Fans running on the LCD screen would be great to let me know why.
It happened almost every day for a week last week, until I got out on the highway for a 200 mile trip. my 11 mile jaunts to work are just long enough to trigger REGEN but not long enough to complete it.

If I could lengthen the time to start from motor start, I would by 2-3 minutes.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
It happened to my car yesterday. I pulled into the driveway and shut the car down and the fans kept on running. I kept the house door open so I can hear it shut off. It did after a while. Then I went for a short trip and came back and the shut it off and the fans kicked in again.

Poor Mazzotti I interrupted his regen twice in one night :)

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Next time, try to listen prior to shutting down to see if the fans are running. If they are, go have some fun and exercise the turbo. Two birds-one stone.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
numl0ck said:
^^ I second that! Turbo fun is never a bad thing! :D
At least not until you get a pretty pink slip for fast qualifying time...

I do not have time to run the car every time the fans are on, and it seems they are always on...

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I'd at least leave it running in the driveway then until it finishes or you'll have to wait until it reinitiates the regen again, which isn't a big deal if you are constantly driving on the highway.