Compression test

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Can anyone in the GTA do a compression test on my BRM. I just changed the cam today and still having the same issue. i will be in the GTA until tuesday.

The issue is lots of smoke on start up and a partial limp mode on the highway (can not think of a better way to describe it). the injector deviation is actually worst after the cam change 0.00, -0.89, -0.87 and 1.76 (cyl 1-4).

Thanks.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you can get it to Cambridge, I have a diesel compression tester with a BRM adapter.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm home tomorrow - shoot me a text.

Caveat, the glow plugs come out, and can sometimes be seized - if they feel like they're going to snap, I'm leaving them in. :D

Last edited:

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
I can live with those terms. I'm attending the Ontario Association of Fire chiefs show in the morning, but will be free early afternoon. I shall text around 1ish .

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I can live with those terms. I'm attending the Ontario Association of Fire chiefs show in the morning, but will be free early afternoon. I shall text around 1ish .
Get some PB Blaster and start shooting those plugs!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What did the camshaft looked like?

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Windex I appreciated all your help on the weekend with the compression test. Since the Turbo is only 20 months old, I'm now going to focus on the MAF and the O2 sender. The odd behaviour is still continuing but I shall keep everyone posted.

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Sorry for the delay. but this issue is still ongoing. The MAF is not showing any issues, had a compression test (325 to 410lb/sqin), ripped out the ASV valve and it is still causing issues. This morning I went to the same place I have the issue daily (bottom of hill over dam with steep uphill bank just 1Km from house (and the same issue occurs). Tramp on the accelerator at the bottom of hill and car has zero acceleration. Then I just run the gears until the car hits 4000rpm for a bit then it is back to normal (5-20kms) This is not a limp mode but a lack of acceleration, dead petal symptom but within a 5-20km the car is back to normal (squealing tires off a fairly standard start). The VCDS only shows the years of EGR valve deleted errors (have Malone Tune to compensate).

Sorry really frustrated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Silly question, but does this happen regardless of the level of fuel in the tank?

A steep uphill can make a car with a bad in-tank pump act up like you describe.

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
That is actually a great question. it rarely happen with a full tank but does get worst as the tank gets lower, so I have been running only on the top half of the tank. Suggestions what I should look at (fuel filter changed about 8k ago)?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Turn the key on (don't crank) until the dash lamps illuminate. When that happens, the in-tank pump should come on for two seconds. You should be able to hear it with the seats down. Alternatively, remove the gas cap and listen into the filler neck while an assistant turns the key.

If you don't hear the noise, it can either be the pump, or the relay - best to check for voltage at the pump connector if you don't hear it running in key-on.

If the pump is running, you should also check to see if it is supplying the correct volume and pressure - 7psi if I recall.