GSW/Alltrack 1.8T TSI EA888 - Prospective Buyer Discussion Thread

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted last. Just wanted to start a thread here as a place for owners considering staying in the GSW/Alltrack family, but with the 1.8 TSI engine.

Reliability, fuel mileage, oil changes, maintenance, performance, etc.

We're doing the buyback, and are considering a GSW SEL with assistance and lighting, or an Alltrack SE with assistance (no xenons on SE Alltrack! :mad: )

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
finally here

Local VW dealership posted photos of the silk metallic blue Alltrack with cornsilk interior. Nice looking car. Fender speakers, black exterior fender liners but no splash guards, pano roof, DSG, foglamps, otherwise loaded like the TDI.

I would be interested if it had a 6MT but it is still a tempting vehicle. They've got it listed just over $32k. My wife just got the lien release on her CRV EXL (leather seats, loaded). She wants to drive the Alltrack this weekend.

billmc2010TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
Alltrack 6MT

I drove an automatic SEL model that had been pre-sold. Dealer says 6MT version "may" be available in Jan. If you want the manual with leatherette seating and a moonroof, it has to be the SE level. The S comes with cloth and no moonroof. I can't figure out why dealers won't offer any discounts for dieselgate-scammed owners who are willing to buy again from VW. Their US sales are way down.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Took one out for a drive on Friday and I must say it rolled along pretty nice. I was amazed at how much of difference the couple of inches in ride height made to the overall feel.

Sprockets

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have ordered an Alltrack SEL with lighting in black/black. I am simply waiting for the buyback to occur.

It is agonizing, waiting for this to get underway. I've put off buying tires, and actually just had fuel system work done (under warranty, did NOT see it coming). I get nervous that something catastrophic will happen before the buyback.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
An Alltrack S in manual would be something I would seriously consider in the next few years. MSRP would be around 27-28K which would mean around 21-22K OTD if they discount them like they do their other models right now. That's not to bad IMO. The golf sportwagen 4 motion comes in at $25.75 for the cheapest.

Its interesting to note that per the VW website, the drag coefficient is .31, while my 2016 Jetta is .30. Final drive is 3.33 compared to my 3.35. It might get decent highway fuel mileage?

Last edited:

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
The VW estimate of 30 mpg highway really sucks, to put it bluntly. If I can approach 34-35 mpg highway at the speed limit with a few thousand on the clock, I'd be satisfied.

Went to Dorschel VW today to check out an Alltrack, they led me to the sold lot out back, and I saw a really nice SE with drive assist. Sharp looking car, literally the only thing I'd change would be led tails, and lighting availability on the SE trim.

Of note, the salesman said that the blind spot assist is not available on Alltrack, due to the fact that the rear body cladding is in the way of where the radar sensors would go, and that the front and rear clips are identical to that of the Euro car and weren't changed in the USA to accommodate radar on such a low volume car. Oh well, still gets all the other goodies.

Also of note, I got a retail booklet for the Alltrack and it says that while the auto dim rear mirror with homelink is included in SEL Lighting package, it will not be on early cars, just a normal manual mirror.... that is unfortuanate. Unfortunate enough for me to bring up the fact that on a $36k baby Audi Allroad the mirror should have buttons on it..

Do you think you'd be able to have the dealer install such a part, as long as the rain sensing wiper unit isn't integrated into it, and the 'dimming' feature isn't from external power (wires/windshield r&r)...?

All in all, a really sharp looking car, just concerned about the MPG and a few niggles with options that I want (no I don't want nav and power seats just to get xenons!:mad:)

Last edited:

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
On the VW website it says the S trim comes with leatherette, not cloth. Is what you're saying that the S with manual trans will have cloth?
There will be a Sportwagon S available with AWD and stick, just the basics with no leatherette.

The Alltrack S will have the Leatherette.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
There will be a Sportwagon S available with AWD and stick, just the basics with no leatherette.

Good info (but the fuel economy differential between these two would pose a real concern............after 42 months of 44 MPG pulling my wagon). Just sayin' .......

ez (glad to have two years to get my head strait around this MPG thing!)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Carolina VW has a GSW AWD with auto and cloth seats. Website says manual but the pictures show only two pedals.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
saw a new Alltrack TSI today,will wait for the TDI or nothing. I'm guessing MPGs will be low 20s average realistically. Not good enough. 32k list price.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
IF the Canadian buyback deal is anything like the US one, we will turn our '13 TDI wagon back in, and there's a 99% chance the replacement will be a Sportwagen... again.

But NO Alltrack, no 4-Motion. The fuel economy hit is too big; 4 snow tires and stability control and traction control is all we've ever needed, and no interest in paying the price premium and the extra bits that can go wrong. It will likely be a base manual Trendline with connectivity (alas CarPlay is optional on the 2017s). If we can find one we'd consider a '16 Comfortline with Lighting Package as we live in deer country. The '17s require the Highline for the LP, and automatic only.

The experience on my TSI hatch has been convincing, so far in nearly 30k km it has been a great car and completely trouble-free.

Of course the odds are though, that VW Canada will screw us and offer much less than the US buyback.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
IF the Canadian buyback deal is anything like the US one, we will turn our '13 TDI wagon back in, and there's a 99% chance the replacement will be a Sportwagen... again.
But NO Alltrack, no 4-Motion. The fuel economy hit is too big; 4 snow tires and stability control and traction control is all we've ever needed, and no interest in paying the price premium and the extra bits that can go wrong. It will likely be a base manual Trendline with connectivity (alas CarPlay is optional on the 2017s). If we can find one we'd consider a '16 Comfortline with Lighting Package as we live in deer country. The '17s require the Highline for the LP, and automatic only.
The experience on my TSI hatch has been convincing, so far in nearly 30k km it has been a great car and completely trouble-free.
Of course the odds are though, that VW Canada will screw us and offer much less than the US buyback.
A new GSW to replace the JSW is one of the things I'm considering when that time comes. I just have to figure out if I can mount the same trailer hitch on the new car.

I see you added a new marinoni to your stable. Nice looking bike. I went for a giant fast road myself.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I see you added a new marinoni to your stable. Nice looking bike. I went for a giant fast road myself.
Yep! Marinoni with Columbus Genius frame, Campagnolo Record gruppo. Since my son is an authorized dealer, I got it for half price, as I do all my bike gear! It's like paying $30k for an M3. Put the Cervelo up for sale as it's a bit too big for me.

My old Marinoni will get a repaint this winter and a new compact crank.

Need to fill the back of that wagon!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That would be a nice connection but I'd run out of garage space too soon. My daughter and son in law sell running shoes. Takes up a lot less room.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
That would be a nice connection but I'd run out of garage space too soon. My daughter and son in law sell running shoes. Takes up a lot less room.
The ideal number of bikes is n+1, that is one more than you actually need. I must be close. Between my wife and I, we have 8 functional bikes. One is loaned out to a son at university, and the Cervelo is in my son's shop on consignment looking for a new home.

I think I should have bought another wagon instead of a hatch. We need a Tour de France fleet of wagons for our bikes...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We both have two bikes, all Giants. Found a good local dealer. My newest is a flat bar carbon road bike. It served me pretty well at RAGBRAI this summer. Planning on doing it again next summer.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
The ideal number of bikes is n+1, that is one more than you actually need. I must be close. Between my wife and I, we have 8 functional bikes. One is loaned out to a son at university, and the Cervelo is in my son's shop on consignment looking for a new home.
I think I should have bought another wagon instead of a hatch. We need a Tour de France fleet of wagons for our bikes...
My bike fleet consists of 4 bikes. One full squish, one roadie, one commuter, and one rigid single speed. I guess I'm missing the +1 of the equation.

Jake

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stopped to pick up a part at the dealer today. He had three alltracks sitting on the lot. The silk blue with the saddle brown interior looked really nice. I think it was around $28k US. Didn't drive it because I don't want to start that program until we are ready to turn in or fix the JSW.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
The manuals won't be out until Q1 of 2017 at the earliest.
Do you, or anyone else, have any real insider info on this? Or just what you've read in magazines? Not doubting, just curious.
Stopped to pick up a part at the dealer today. He had three alltracks sitting on the lot. The silk blue with the saddle brown interior looked really nice. I think it was around $28k US. Didn't drive it because I don't want to start that program until we are ready to turn in or fix the JSW.
I stopped at lunch today, but I DID drive one. Most dealers I've been to (Mazda, Honda, Jeep) have been understanding about the dieselgate time frame thing. The sales manager today didn't know when the 6MT models will actually ship. If I know for sure, and could reserve one, I think I would do it. It's too bad the plain 4motion wagon will be so much later... I think I would like that.
Side note: if they put a 6, not FIVE speed stick in the FWD wagon I'd probably go for it.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
Most dealers I've been to (Mazda, Honda, Jeep) have been understanding about the dieselgate time frame thing.
Yes, it has made the car shopping experience much more relaxed. I dreaded beginning the process but once I got started and saw that it made it easy to take a look, a test drive and leave. I added VW and Toyota to my shopping in addition to your list.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Side note: if they put a 6, not FIVE speed stick in the FWD wagon I'd probably go for it.
We've circa 2 years to ponder these options........

And - as most of us agree - the TDI set the bar - transmission, V-Tex, interior colors and much more.

The Alltrack measures up surprisingly well for me - - - except for the prodigious MPG hit. I feel that EPA 30 - as opposed to EPA 35/36 for the front wheel drive GSW - would be a significant downer for this sailor.

ez

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We've circa 2 years to ponder these options........
And - as most of us agree - the TDI set the bar - transmission, V-Tex, interior colors and much more.
The Alltrack measures up surprisingly well for me - - - except for the prodigious MPG hit. I feel that EPA 30 - as opposed to EPA 35/36 for the front wheel drive GSW - would be a significant downer for this sailor.
ez
Same here. If Canada does get a buyback similar to the US, we will get a Golf wagon but not an Alltrack. I have been more than satisfied with the fuel consumption of my 1.8 TSI, 42 mpg @68 mph (110 km/h) on the highway is not that bad for a gasser. If the Alltrack has the same tiny 50 L tank as the wagon and hatch, range isn't going to be terribly impressive; I can make 450-480 miles easily in my TSI in routine driving.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I see what you mean... I want to get out sooner though, before some potentially expensive repairs come in. Also seeing it as an opportunity to get something more versatile. I would have gotten a wagon in the first place if they were in my price range.