Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thanks for the info guys. I have a quarter blaster car wash not too far away and I'll definitely spend a good amount of time getting it cleaned up on a regular basis.

I have 6 months left on the 10 year rust warranty, but so far there is no rust, which is good.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Very nice!!! I don't have the cheddar to spend on one of those... Wife's college is EXPENSIVE...:eek:

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Did you have use the glow plugs twice?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Did you have use the glow plugs twice?
Good question! This was actually the second attempt because I couldn't figure out how to make it wait for the glow plugs (the first attempt was a fail). Turning the key resulted in an immediate attempt to start (without waiting for the glow plugs) even though my foot was off of the brake (I think).

So on this attempt (shown in the video), I used the fancy retrofitted push-button start, pressed start with my foot off the brake to engage the ignition, waited for the glow plugs, pressed the brake, then pressed start again to start the engine.

Complicated! Perhaps it wasn't coded correctly when the push button start was retrofitted and it doesn't wait for the glow plugs like it's supposed to. I'll have to investigate with VCDS.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wish i had the coolant heater, but the vehicle is originally from Texas. I'm not even sure it has the electrical heater either.
Your V6 should have the 1000 watt electric heater (3,400 BTU). The Webasto (17,000 BTU) was only supplied on the V10 engine.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Folks have said i should have the electric heat. I do get heat a lot quicker than i did in the jetta, i just put it to a newer more efficient system.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think all TDIs 2006 and newer have the kilowatt electric cabin heater (except the 06 and 07 V10, which have Webasto).

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I think all TDIs 2006 and newer have the kilowatt electric cabin heater (except the 06 and 07 V10, which have Webasto).
Maybe that explains why it seems to warm the cabin quicker than my jetta ever did.

Anyways, grats on the v10, wish i had found one.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The money hemorrhaging has begun. Just ordered a front wheel bearing and hub (ordered the hub since the bearing sounds really bad) from Jim Ellis VW - about $350 including shipping. There were cheaper alternatives available from aftermarket brands, but I want to stick with OEM stuff on this truck.

For entertainment purposes, I called the local VW service department and they quoted $1899 for the job + $120 for an alignment. :eek:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
This sounds like a fun job to in the middle of winter. I do have two small propane heaters if you need them.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
This sounds like a fun job to in the middle of winter. I do have two small propane heaters if you need them.
I'm paying the local shop (not dealer) to do it. He has a good reputation and works on quite a few TDIs.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
For entertainment purposes, I called the local VW service department and they quoted $1899 for the job + $120 for an alignment. :eek:
What is so special about the wheel bearing job that cost so much? I think the dealer owner must need someone to pay his Bentley payment.

I guess I must be thinking of simple bearing jobs, remove wheel and caliper, pop the cap, take cotter pin, take spindle nut off, pull hub off, throw away bearings, remove races, press in new races, pack new bearings with grease, reassemble.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What is so special about the wheel bearing job that cost so much? I think the dealer owner must need someone to pay his Bentley payment.

I guess I must be thinking of simple bearing jobs, remove wheel and caliper, pop the cap, take cotter pin, take spindle nut off, pull hub off, throw away bearings, remove races, press in new races, pack new bearings with grease, reassemble.

That pretty much sums it up, as far as I can tell. Not sure what kind of crack they're smoking.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Congrats! Even though I don't know you well,the way you were talking about the T-Reg at the Ho5G I figured you were going to get one. Hey,you only live once,right;)? Is the Ford still in your driveway, or is that going up for sale? Have fun w/ your new toy......

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Ford is still in the driveway. It's getting sold as soon as we're done with January's traveling. It's been a good truck, but it's just been a driveway queen lately, so it's time to go. If anyone is interested, it just got new brake pads and rotors, one new caliper, and new tires.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The Webasto aux heater is nothing short of awesome. Nice warm heat within 2 minutes at idle in the driveway this morning.

Now I need to get the remote control for it so it will function as a parking heater. http://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/controls/telestart-t91/
The T91 is awesome, much better than the older remote and smaller on the key chain. You should have no problem picking one up on ebay.

Nice ride! My non tdicub buddy had a V10 and 2004 ALH

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
All I have to say is...

You would buy one of these :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Neat. I've thought about one but can't get past the silliness of hauling myself and a 25 pound dog around in a 5,500 lb. truck. It's the cheap New Englander in me, I guess. But I think the T-Reg is great. Stealth status: no one knows how nice they are because they're VWs.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Neat. I've thought about one but can't get past the silliness of hauling myself and a 25 pound dog around in a 5,500 lb. truck. It's the cheap New Englander in me, I guess. But I think the T-Reg is great. Stealth status: no one knows how nice they are because they're VWs.
We've got three dog. Map mix, pug and yappy terrier thing. The jetta was not working. Thought about a golf wagon, but it felt smaller than the mkiv.

With the dogs in the back and a barrier to keep them there, it's nice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf wagon is significantly larger than a MKIV, especially behind the front seats. But I can understand with three dogs.

No one (except me) has ever been that happy riding in the back seat of the Jetta Wagon. A Touareg would be far more accommodating. But I don't have anyone back there often these days.

Beautiful Truck, Lawson. Just hope you don't need cams anytime soon.