DSG Service with top fill and drain using Pela Extractor

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I do not think you will get what you are looking for.

the folks who do top fill report long waits for fluid to drain into the tranny.

this tells me the available holes under the filter goes to the pump (or the rest of the circuit, valves, and spray nozzles), not into the sump.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I had to top one up the other day and I used what I'm gong to call a "Reverse Oil Extractor."

I made it with a pesticide sprayer and some 5/16" vinyl tubing.

The tubing was just about the right outside diameter so you could push it up through the plastic snorkel and pump oil in.

I thought it was easier and potentially less messy than the gravity fill method using the fill adapter (although I have one of those too).

Not that this helps you with extracting oil through the top, but I don't think you can do that anyway. It would be nice.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Gravity fill? NO WAY. I have to charge by the clock and people would hate me... and there is no way to drain except by gravity, pull the plug and the stand pipe with an 8mm allen socket.

There is an easy tool we copied. I can't tell you who we copied, but we appreciate SIMPLE. We bought a fill plug for the DSG, drilled a hole into it to install a brass union nipple, about 3/8". We split the union and installed the other half into a cap from one of the DSG oil bottles I think we stiffened up the union connection with a piece of hard plastic, fit inside the lid. We used the ever famous, good for too many things to not own some, JB Weld, to affix the two ends into the cap and the drilled out plug.

The operation is to screw in the drilled plug contraption into the transmission , stick a full bottle onto the modified lid, punch a hole into the bottom of the oil bottle (while it is inverted) and put air pressure to it with an air chuck. The oil blows into the tranny in less than 10 seconds. Repeat with additional bottles until it drains back from the stand pipe. Start engine, finish with about another bottle. Remove fill tool and install drain plug. It usually take us about 5-10 minutes to fill the DSG tranny with our redneck tool.

I'm WAY to impatient to wait for oil to drip into the filter housing.

As an alternative, I've thought of using a 1 gallon pump-up weed sprayer bottle with the altered DSG plug installed on the end of the spray arm, but what I've got works plenty well with little expense or issue.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ Yes, the weed sprayer bottle is what I used. You don't even need any special adapter, since the tube is thin enough to simply shove up through the plastic snorkel. I think it takes about a minute per liter. Not bad.

Edit: I used 5/16" outside diameter tubing, with 3/16" inside diameter. Fits perfectly up through the snorkel.

Last edited:

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Pictures

Gravity fill? NO WAY. I have to charge by the clock and people would hate me... and there is no way to drain except by gravity, pull the plug and the stand pipe with an 8mm allen socket.

There is an easy tool we copied. I can't tell you who we copied, but we appreciate SIMPLE. We bought a fill plug for the DSG, drilled a hole into it to install a brass union nipple, about 3/8". We split the union and installed the other half into a cap from one of the DSG oil bottles I think we stiffened up the union connection with a piece of hard plastic, fit inside the lid. We used the ever famous, good for too many things to not own some, JB Weld, to affix the two ends into the cap and the drilled out plug.

The operation is to screw in the drilled plug contraption into the transmission , stick a full bottle onto the modified lid, punch a hole into the bottom of the oil bottle (while it is inverted) and put air pressure to it with an air chuck. The oil blows into the tranny in less than 10 seconds. Repeat with additional bottles until it drains back from the stand pipe. Start engine, finish with about another bottle. Remove fill tool and install drain plug. It usually take us about 5-10 minutes to fill the DSG tranny with our redneck tool.

I'm WAY to impatient to wait for oil to drip into the filter housing.

As an alternative, I've thought of using a 1 gallon pump-up weed sprayer bottle with the altered DSG plug installed on the end of the spray arm, but what I've got works plenty well with little expense or issue.

Do you have pictures