Solid door "thunk" with "after-thunk"..

Hatseflats!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Anybody noticed an extra 'thud' noise coming out of the trunk area after closing the doors? I drive a 2013 SEL TDI and each time when I close the LH passenger door I notice some kind of thud "click" after the door locks in its latch. Can reproduce the sound with all four doors though. Last night i tried to reproduce the sound with trunk in open position: sound miraculously disappears! Closed the trunk: sound back again..

I've noticed the sound to be there for a while (since I got the car?) but only last week I decided to return to the dealer and ask about any known issues (car still has warranty). They would look into it and gave me a loaner (Passat SE, gas). First thing I did was check if that car had the same issue. And yes: instant reproduction! Dealer could reproduce the sound and suggests to replace the latch. To me, the latch is not the issue (I can reproduce the sound with door handle pulled (so it doesn't lock), but I lack other hunches to guide them..

I don't have any loose items in the door or trunk that can cause the extra after thunk.

Need help here. I don't want to fix anything that ain't broken..

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thx -

Ps. I even made a short film (with sound!) but I can only upload pictures.. :-(

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Easy. The exhaust vent from the trunk to the outside behind the rear bumper has a flap that makes that noise, mine does it too whenever I close any door, it's all about air pressure.

You didn't hear it with the trunk open because all the pressure went out the trunk thru the big opening.

Also, you'll hear it better from the driver's side because the vent is on the same side.

Last edited:

Hatseflats!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Ha! Thx - suspected it had something to do with the air vent.. I even suggested that to the dealer.. ? They obviously didn't pick up on that...

I'm canceling my 'repair appointment' today and guess I just have to live with the echo of that great solid thunk!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Easy. The exhaust vent from the trunk to the outside behind the rear bumper has a flap that makes that noise, mine does it too whenever I close any door, it's all about air pressure.

You didn't hear it with the trunk open because all the pressure went out the trunk thru the big opening.

Also, you'll hear it better from the driver's side because the vent is on the same side.
Interesting. I hear the opposite.

When I have the car running and i'm outside the car and open the door, I hear a noise in the trunk.

Good to know it's the flap.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I was going to post that last night, but couldn't get it to work from the phone :)

You can see the vent clearly in that picture.

-J