www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9th, 2012, 18:12   #31
skinnyb
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western, NC
TDI(s): 2013 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: Slightly north of 40 MPG
Default

I had mine topped off at the 10k and now at 16k. VCDS is registering a level of 77%. Not bad for 6k miles since fill.
__________________
2015 Passat 1.8T Limited Edition
2013 JSW TDI DSG Malone 2.0 Eco, Tint, Wheels, Etc...
skinnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 21:09   #32
wolfsburg_de
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
w/Business number
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lansdale, PA USA
Fuel Economy: 33.5 mpg, mostly city
Default

I'm not sure if that value is accurate. Mine is showing 77.77% at 4314 miles (7 months). Never filled up or serviced yet.
__________________
support@ross-tech.com
wolfsburg_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 22:10   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Fuel Economy: see signature
Default

I think different people will burn different amounts of AdBlue due to differences in routes and driving styles.
__________________


Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:47   #34
tdiatlast
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Is there any consensus on whether it's better to run the adblue tank to empty before refilling? Should we be topping up? Is there an issue with "stale" adblue?
Someone posted that MB is requiring an adblue tank flush every 2 years? If so, why would that be? Should we be doing the same?
__________________
2014 Passat TDI SEL DSG (returned 12/14/16)
2009 JSW TDI DSG (returned 12/15/16)
2015 Nissan LeafS ($.02/mile fuel cost)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:14   #35
compu_85
Gadget Guy
 
compu_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield VA
Default

According to the bottle it goes bad if it sits around for a long time in the heat.

I plan to keep my tank at least 1/2 full.

-J
__________________
Present:
2013 Fiat 500e. 18,000 miles. Almost 100 miles per charge!
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 112,000 miles. Factory Alarm, LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs 38/48 MPG. Buy it from us!
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:16   #36
Niner
duplicate account, banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

I plan to keep mine 1/2 full also, my driving style doesn't seem to use much, mostly highway miles. Had my 3rd regeneration yesterday.... something about driving 35 mph in 4th gear on level ground really seems to set that device off after highway cruising. 3x now, exact same circumstances.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:24   #37
wolfsburg_de
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
w/Business number
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lansdale, PA USA
Fuel Economy: 33.5 mpg, mostly city
Default

I noticed something, the level is different with the engine running versus key on, engine off. This makes sense since you can hear the adblue getting sucked back into the tank on shutdown, IIRC.
__________________
support@ross-tech.com
wolfsburg_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:26   #38
compu_85
Gadget Guy
 
compu_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield VA
Default

Hm. Perhaps that means you should only fill the tank with the key off... don't want to have an overflow!

-J
__________________
Present:
2013 Fiat 500e. 18,000 miles. Almost 100 miles per charge!
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 112,000 miles. Factory Alarm, LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs 38/48 MPG. Buy it from us!
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 13:12   #39
dweisel
Veteran Member
 
dweisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Hm. Perhaps that means you should only fill the tank with the key off... don't want to have an overflow!

-J
On my MB R320 filling instructions say: DO NOT OPEN THE ADBLUE TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. SHUT ENGINE OFF AND OPEN CAP SLOWLY TO RELIEVE PRESSURE.
__________________
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 19:13   #40
Niner
duplicate account, banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
On my MB R320 filling instructions say: DO NOT OPEN THE ADBLUE TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. SHUT ENGINE OFF AND OPEN CAP SLOWLY TO RELIEVE PRESSURE.
Your signature needs adjusting... just saying.... maybe a passat is in your future?
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:13   #41
dweisel
Veteran Member
 
dweisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Your signature needs adjusting... just saying.... maybe a passat is in your future?
Nah,no adjustment needed. If in the future I purchase another VW CR........then I'll change my sig. Until then it will stay the same as a reminder of my VW CR failures.

Actually we have about 8 diesels around the place if you count tractors and heavy equipment.
__________________
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:46   #42
Niner
duplicate account, banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
Nah,no adjustment needed. If in the future I purchase another VW CR........then I'll change my sig. Until then it will stay the same as a reminder of my VW CR failures.
Actually we have about 8 diesels around the place if you count tractors and heavy equipment.
I think there's a passat somewhere in your future? Why else would you hang around in this forum? Or are you a vulture, waiting for a Passat HPFP death this summer?
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:35   #43
dweisel
Veteran Member
 
dweisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
I think there's a passat somewhere in your future? Why else would you hang around in this forum? Or are you a vulture, waiting for a Passat HPFP death this summer?
I like the 2012 Passat,but twice burnt makes me very leary and gun shy of VW CR's.I guess the main reason I stick around on the CR forum is that I enjoy trying to help some people out,especially if they have had a hpfp failure. Another reason is I find the problem interesting from a lot of different perspectives and reasons. The greatest thing about this forum is that there is ALWAYS something you can learn even from a post that has nothing to do with tdi's or diesels.

OUCH! On the vulture comment. Actually I hope the redesigned Passat fuel system or maybe a 4th revision hpfp will make hpfp failures a thing of the past on newer MY cars. I think we will be living with failures here for a long time to come in earlier MY CR's,sorry to say.
__________________
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 19:31   #44
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Fuel Economy: see signature
Default

I personally think the Passat is going to be a home run. We shall see.
__________________


Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 19:58   #45
darrelld
Veteran Member
 
darrelld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
I like the 2012 Passat,but twice burnt makes me very leary and gun shy of VW CR's.I guess the main reason I stick around on the CR forum is that I enjoy trying to help some people out,especially if they have had a hpfp failure. Another reason is I find the problem interesting from a lot of different perspectives and reasons. The greatest thing about this forum is that there is ALWAYS something you can learn even from a post that has nothing to do with tdi's or diesels.
OUCH! On the vulture comment. Actually I hope the redesigned Passat fuel system or maybe a 4th revision hpfp will make hpfp failures a thing of the past on newer MY cars. I think we will be living with failures here for a long time to come in earlier MY CR's,sorry to say.
I poured through these forums for 2 years before buying my first VW.

There is a lot useful information here, thanks to all.
__________________
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adblue? cj42 VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 78 December 9th, 2015 13:37
AdBlue whizznbyu Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) 74 November 1st, 2015 14:34
adblue ?? Lm2lg TDI 101 10 January 14th, 2012 13:21
adblue ?? Lm2lg VW Touareg TDIs 3 January 13th, 2012 14:09
AdBlue Sources Drivbiwire VW Touareg TDIs 11 July 25th, 2009 16:06


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.15830 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 134.83 Kb. compressed to 113.25 Kb. by saving 21.58 Kb. (16.01%)]