www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:57   #16
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APT View Post
tdiatlast, 0.0013 dollars per mile. Or, 2,000 cents divided by 15,000 miles if you choose.

The 40k mile DSG service costs more, like 1c/mile.
...too early in the morning... You're right, I'm wrong!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 18:27   #17
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
It's in the right rear quarter below the trunk floor. You access the tank thru the trunk and a door on the floor in the little "cubby" between the rear tire and the back of the car.
This keeps the center of gravity low, and also explains the design of the bottle/nozzle used for filling. As is obvious from previous comments, checking the tank level can't be done visually, and this "VCDS" software is obviously a PITA to use for anything simple like this. Therefore, a bottle design that allows a fill but will cut off when removed to prevent overflow / spillage.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 18:27   #18
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsburg_de View Post
FYI, with VCDS, I believe you can find the level (expressed as a percentage) in Engine -> Advanced Measuring Values -> 98-0:Sensor for reducing agent fill level. My Passat with about 3600 miles, mostly around town, shows a fill level of 77.03 %.
I just checked mine 2999 miles on the car, 99.85% for the value 524 and 100.02 for value 605. I did not find a 98-0 value on the advanced measuring values under engine.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 18:49   #19
Sbieshelt

TDI(s): Jetta passat

I went in for my 10k checkup and had to argue with the service dept. they didn't even know the Passat took ad blue. I hate dealers that know less about the car than the customer.

Be careful if you go to Waldorf vw
Sbieshelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 19:21   #20
tdiclubfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbieshelt View Post
I went in for my 10k checkup and had to argue with the service dept. they didn't even know the Passat took ad blue. I hate dealers that know less about the car than the customer.

I hope you didn't buy your car from this dealer.
tdiclubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 21:52   #21
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Wolfsburg,

What values should I monitor to make sure the UREA injection is actually working. I can't believe I have used that little AdBlue in 2000 miles.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:49   #22
vwtom
Veteran Member

Default dweisel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
Does this fit perfectly on your Benz?
vwtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:52   #23
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
This keeps the center of gravity low, and also explains the design of the bottle/nozzle used for filling. As is obvious from previous comments, checking the tank level can't be done visually, and this "VCDS" software is obviously a PITA to use for anything simple like this. Therefore, a bottle design that allows a fill but will cut off when removed to prevent overflow / spillage.
I would agree, so I don't worry about it. If it gets low a warning comes on with about 1,000 miles left to go so you have time to get some AdBlue and put it into the tank. Remember if you are still in the 36,000 mile free service then you just need to stop by the dealer and have them add some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbieshelt View Post

Yep, I believe when I had my 1st service done at 10K the dealer didn't realize this either and didn't fill it up because at 15K miles the warning came on. I took it back and had them add some. I also made sure at the 20K service to specifically make sure they filled the tank so I haven't had the warning come on since and I'm within 2K of the 30K service.
Old April 24th, 2012, 14:10   #24
verylongdrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf,2001
Fuel Economy: 43/46/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
It's in the right rear quarter below the trunk floor.
While that's probably a perfectly fine place for a non-essential fluid container, the legal requirement to STOP NOW if the tank is empty because no DEF means you might pollute in a day as much as a big truck in 5 seconds will statistically cause quite a few rear-ended TDIs with relatively minor damage to become instantly undrivable. Not good.
verylongdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 14:43   #25
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by verylongdrive View Post
While that's probably a perfectly fine place for a non-essential fluid container, the legal requirement to STOP NOW if the tank is empty because no DEF means you might pollute in a day as much as a big truck in 5 seconds will statistically cause quite a few rear-ended TDIs with relatively minor damage to become instantly undrivable. Not good.

I doubt VW would manufacture a DEF tank that fragile it just doesn't make any sense given it is located near the fuel tank. If it was that fragile then shards could pierce the fuel tank. And if it wasn't any less fragile than the fuel tank, a crash that would damage it would damage the fuel tank also. In either case you don't have fuel let alone DEF.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 15:42   #26
IXLR8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verylongdrive View Post
From what I have read, if tank goes empty it does not 'STOP NOW', but you can't restart after you shut it off.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 21:26   #27
tdiclubfan

Is there any difference between different brands of AdBlue or just pick whatever is the cheapest and easiest to get?
tdiclubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 21:32   #28
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Get whatever makes your wallet happy - it's all the same.

It is referred to as AdBlue or Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and is available at most auto parts stores and truck stops.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 22:31   #29
compu_85
Gadget Guy

According to my manual you get 20 startups after you run out of fluid. If you manage to ignore the yellow light, then the red light for that long you probably shouldn't be driving.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 17:28   #30
dachman1

Fuel Economy: 35/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmosis86 View Post
I asked for an empty jug at my 10k mile service. They gave me a 2.5gal jug, but it didn't have a special neck or anything on it, I ended up just throwing it away. I am not sure how to get one of the correct jugs, maybe my dealership has the tool you can buy and they are using different jugs.

If anyone has gotten the correct jug, please share a picture.

I got my 10K done on Monday. They gave me the empty bottle with the special top. The guy indicated that the nozzle part breaks tabs if unscrewed making it basically a one time use bottle. I am pleased to report that he was wrong and I was able to unscrew the top, add fluid to the bottle and use it. So, in my case, it's a reusable bottle. Buy DEF at Autozone for about $5 when the warranty/service runs out and use the specialized bottle to fill. If the nozzle part wears out or breaks, I'll just buy one more bottle of it and keep refilling it.
dachman1 is offline   Reply With Quote