www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 10th, 2016, 08:34   #256
50pascals
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
We (2012-2014 NMS Passats) received the 23N5 update, to address turbo failures, which was rather rampant for certain individuals. From what I remember it changed the way the vehicle warms up. But it seems many have seen a rather steep increase in Adblue consumption, which could be a by product of richer fueling in cold start.
FWIW - I received that update after my turbo failed and I noticed no difference in Adblue consumption. I buy a 2.5 gallon box every 3 months or so - Roughly 11,000 miles. But my driving is all highway or main roads. Never any stop and go.
Old June 14th, 2016, 05:06   #257
r11
Veteran Member

+1. They simply limited the turbo revs w cold engine. More anemic car for first few mins, but less chance of turbo blowing up when it is not getting enough lube due to thicker oil.

Had nothing to do with DEF consumption rates. In my car, it is so friggin low, I only put may be a gallon every 10K miles, if that. Never seen the warning light.
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 20:21   #258
panther_v

I exhausted my AdBlue to 0 mile no start up, then filled 2.5 gal jug at around 33k miles.

Today at 39k miles, 1500 mile warning came up.

So seems like 7000 miles will consume roughly 2.5 gal of DEF. Out of the 7k miles, 4k were around town commute driving, and 3k were on a road trip, mainly at fwy speed.

During the 1st 3 yrs of ownership, dealer topped off the DEF during the 10k service, so I couldn't really tell how much DEF get consumed.

I'm just surprised that 2.5 gal of DEF were consumed with only 7k miles.

Last edited by panther_v; June 27th, 2016 at 12:34. Reason: rephrase question and additional comments
panther_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 16:46   #259
Dangerranger

Default Not the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
To add the fluid on your own, you'd need to score a 1/2 gallon VW/Audi adblue bottle that you can turn into a funnel. Cannot just pour bulk fluid into the VW ablue tank, it requires a special bottle (neck "unlocks" the tank). Apparently BMW and Mercedes have standardized on the same design too (?).

Most of us don't have much to worry about for a looong while

Wonder what they use at service centers ... must have some kind of spill-proof funnels ... or they just use the 1/2 gallon bottles ...
You actually do not need any special bottles or funnels to fill the tank. If you're concerned about making a mess, then yes you can use the Kruze bottles. However, I buy the Peak BlueDef, can be found on Amazon, and the nozzle that comes with that 2.5 Gallon Jug works just fine. No mess, no fuss. I just pour in two of the 2.5 gallon jugs when the car gets to 600 miles to no start.
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote