www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:29   #151
zoomzoom9

I got the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422s recently, took a chance since they were brand new and didn't really see any reviews on them. I like them, they were decently priced and the ride isn't bad. Unfortunately I had just bought the car before putting them on so I don't have much to compare them to, but for ride quality they're pretty good and haven't had any problems in rain. I'm actually going to increase the tire pressure soon to see how it affects my MPG now that I've established a fairly decent baseline.
Old July 20th, 2010, 22:22   #152
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I had run 70k+ miles on my Michelin Energy MXV4+s in 195/65/15's and really liked them. I wanted to go to a larger diameter tire 205/70-or-75/15. I put a set of 205/75/15's on and drove them for a little while (10 miles or so). They cleared everything but it was a close fit and they looked out of place and drove poorly.

So I tried a set of Yokohama Avid Touring 205/70/15's

They rode/drove nice, I liked the RPM reduction (~6%), it made my speedometer ~accurate (half a needle width slow). My initial reaction was that they didn't roll as nicely/smoothly/etc. After driving them more and more on my same daily route I just wasn't able to coast the same distance at the same speeds that I was able to with my Michelins. I drove them for ~10k miles and one of them broke a belt.

I replaced both front ones with General Altimax RT's also in 205/70/15's. I noticed a difference in rolling resistance right away. After a couple thousand miles I also replaced the back ones with the same thing. I don't have any hard data but they definately roll at least as well as the Michelins. I can coast approximately the same distance as I could before at the same speeds.

For any normal driving the taller tire is nice. Combined with the 0.681 5th gear it's about 30 RPM/MPH so 1800RPM @ 60MPH, 2100RPM @ 70MPH, etc. If you do any trailer pulling you'll definately notice the lower RPM's as you are definately on the negative side of the torque curve. It will still pull it, but it works much harder and the cruise control really works to maintain speed with the trailer on rolling hills.

We'll see how the General's wear - they've been good so far for MPG's (mid 50's with no effort).

Hope this helps someone make a decision.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:06   #153
Jon Linn
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried these out? I think they are a new product from Kumho...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ll+Season+KH30

or these??

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Solus+HM+KR22
Jon Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:32   #154
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadc View Post
I changed from Stock Contis to Michelin Energy and noticed a 2-4 MPG drop. Disappointing.

ALL tire manufactures will tell you... Old tires will always get better mpg than new!!

Let me repeat.

OLD tires get better mpg than new tires..

Old tires get better mpg than new tires.

New tires are stiff and the cords have not loosened up yet.
According to statistics, every human has one testicle and one large breast.
98% of Lawyers give the rest a bad name.
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 13:58   #155
sfv_rider

TDI(s): 2010 Golf
Fuel Economy: 47 over 3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxBill View Post
Old tires get better mpg than new tires.

New tires are stiff and the cords have not loosened up yet.
I have heard this MPG difference attributed to the flexing of the tread blocks, and that worn tires have a smaller diameter, causing the odo to read more miles completed per tank than "new" tires.
sfv_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 16:13   #156
raybo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2001 Golf (SOLD 11/15/15): 45 MPG avg mostly highway; JSW high 30's around town

New tires have a bigger diameter, will rev less per mile, and thus will "show" less mpg than the worn tires you just removed.

To determine the difs, let the new tires break in for 500 miles, then factor in the differences in tread depth between old and new tires when interpreting your mileage.

Ray
2010 JSW DSG White Gold Metallic/Corn Silk 105K | Pano | Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 as of 50K | Continental PureContact | built 11/09 (hers) HPFP disintegrated 12/14 - entire fuel system repaired by VWoA Jan 2015 at 93K miles
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:07   #157
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default GPS vs. odometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
New tires have a bigger diameter, will rev less per mile, and thus will "show" less mpg than the worn tires you just removed.

To determine the difs, let the new tires break in for 500 miles, then factor in the differences in tread depth between old and new tires when interpreting your mileage.

Ray
Will using a GPS get me more accurate miles driven per tank on a new tire (after the ~500 mile break in period) for MPG estimation purposes?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:23   #158
barshnik
Veteran Member

I just replaced my OEM Michelin MXV4's at 40k miles. There was plenty of tread left, but the sidewalls were showing cracks. I've never seen this in tires less than 5 years old, and my TDi doesn't even spend much time in the sun.

I replaced them with Conti ProContact EcoPlus (supposedly a LLR tire). They don't chirp on a fast start like the Michelins, seem to have really good dry grip. I've noticed no difference in mpg's.
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 15:34   #159
Douglas C49J

Thumbs up

Heck- just get the tires that work the best for your purposes. Tried some "fuel-saving" Michelin X 'Green' tires on my 04 Golf. Most expensive (115$) and worst tires I have ever experienced. Horrible ride even at 40 psi, no noticable improvement in MPG, and the only tires I have ever seen that hydroplane - in the dry! I drive assertively but not aggresively in the wet and those were like driving on pizza plates. Gave them to Goodwill after 20000 miles. Put on some Bridgestone RE960's that are quieter, give much better steering response, stick better under all conditions and cut through heavy rain like a knife. Just over 30k on them now and perhaps half worn with pressure at 44. Very impressive at 75$ each.
Douglas C49J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 16:17   #160
canoer

Default obscure

how can you tell if you just gained or lost 1.5 mpg. there are so many variables while driving that it would be impossible to tell. air temp, red lights, heavy traffic or maybe extra passengers in the vehicle. just get the best tire you can for your money. your life rides on it
canoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:40   #161
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Linn View Post
Has anyone tried these out? I think they are a new product from Kumho...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ll+Season+KH30

or these??

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Solus+HM+KR22
I have 6K mi. on the ecowing KH30s. 185/65H-14. Quiet, smooth-riding. No balancing/runout issues. FE went up 4%, but comparison is dicey because they replaced well-worn Yokahama Avid T4s in a 205/50T-15. If they prove to be reasonably durable and even-wearing, they would provide good value and probably warrant consideration.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:54   #162
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Just got Yoka Avid Envigors from Tirerack. Supposed to be good rain tires. They're quiet, don't know how RR can be determined.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:30   #163
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I am using the eco Solus KR22's on my 2005 Beetle with good results so far.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:36   #164
Timpackman
Veteran Member

My 2011 JSW has Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 oddly enough.

They are $142 a piece, versus $112 a piece for Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. That is $120 a set....

Is it actually beneficial to purchase the LRR tires?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:55   #165
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Yes, but only once the originals have worn. If you replace a good set of tyres you'd just be wasting money.

Of course since your fuel is so cheap (relatively) the payback will be slower for you than it is for us.

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote