No Start, Seems Like No Fuel

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Problem:
When trying to start, engine sounds as if it's turning over normally but will not start as if it's not getting fuel or something. Also, there is a fuel leak @ or near where distributer head connects to fuel pump. Not a major leak but a significant drip after turning the engine over a few times.

The engine quit suddenly after running the vehicle in 1st gear at 3000 to 3500 RPM for a couple of hours. (Yes, a higher RPM but vehicle doesn't Red Line until 4700).
I had to tow it home.

Possible significant history:
For years, I've had an intermittent problem where the vehicle would just quit suddenly while driving as if the fuel shut off. I always assumed it had something to do with the fuel shut off valve or the relay that controls the fuel shut off valve (Relay 109), but I've never been able to pinpoint it since the problem was so intermittent. When the phantom problem would happen I would usually be able to wait a few seconds and restart the vehicle and it would run as if there was no problem at all. Sometimes I would have to try a few times before it would start up again.
I put a new fuel shut off valve in about three weeks before this last breakdown.
I carried a spare relay 109 with me and when this last break-down occurred I swapped out relay 109 hoping it would fix the problem. The vehicle still won't start.

Today, I called my VW mechanic. I figured it may be the fuel leak not allowing enough pressure to build up to activate the injectors but he thought the vehicle should still run with that leak.

Suggestons? Thoughts?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
A leak at the pump head? Maybe it got bad enough to where you lost prime and you're injecting air? A leak there won't affect injection since the lift pump supplies far more than the injectors need but...

If it's bad enough to leak fuel out it'll likely let air in.

Did you try cracking a one or two injector nuts to see if they squirt?

Oh, and I have to ask: several hours at 3k? What's up with that?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
A leak at the pump head? Maybe it got bad enough to where you lost prime and you're injecting air? A leak there won't affect injection since the lift pump supplies far more than the injectors need but...

If it's bad enough to leak fuel out it'll likely let air in.

Did you try cracking a one or two injector nuts to see if they squirt?

Oh, and I have to ask: several hours at 3k? What's up with that?
Yeah, I don't get the last one either and await some more info.
Do you get any smoke out the exhaust when cranking? Usually do if it's getting fuel and not starting.
As mentioned, if you have a fuel leak it's probably pulling in some air and not making fuel pressure at the injectors. Open a line and check that out.
Have you checked that the timing belt/system is intact and properly tensioned?? I would always check that out when a TDI shuts down without any known cause.

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Thanks for your replies. I unhooked two of the injector nuts, and while cranking it over, no fuel is coming out of the lines. :(

To answer your side question, the reason I ran it for a couple hours at over 3,000 RPM is because I was stuck in first gear. It was a simple problem that the linkage came unhooked under the hood but because I'm not an auto mechanic Guru I didn't know that and decided to drive all the way home in 1st gear.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check your relays and for a leak in the line that would break suction and the fuel shut off solenoid

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
I swapped out the fuel shut off solenoid and also swapped out relay 109. What other relays do I need to check and how do I check them without replacing them?

If it's a small leak in the fuel system allowing air to get in, wouldn't I still at least be getting a little fuel come out of the hard lines when I undo the nuts and crank it over?

Also, just for the heck of it, I checked all the normal fuses and didn't find any blown fuses. I'll check the timing chain once I YouTube how to do such a thing.

If my fuel pump is screwed, would the engine still turn over normally like it is right now?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
A small air or fuel leak might keep running, but once the engine stops (or is shut down) then the air leak allows the IP to lose its "prime" and getting it to make pressure again can be a real battle, and if the leak is left uncorrected, may be a losing battle.
You could hook up a remote IV type elevated fuel source and get it going perhaps, but going to have to find/fix the problem(s).

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Yeah it's not really something you can "live with". If you keep the tank full and park facing down on a steep hill it might help but you need to reseal the pump.

Another thing, the coolant hoses beneath the pump are likely ruined if it's been dripping fuel on them for very long.

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Timing belt looks good and is tight. Shaft in the center of the pulley that runs the fuel injection pump is turning.
I'll see if I can come up with an IV bag fuel feeding system :)
If I pressurize the fuel going into the fuel injection pump, what PSI should I use?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Timing belt looks good and is tight. Shaft in the center of the pulley that runs the fuel injection pump is turning.
I'll see if I can come up with an IV bag fuel feeding system :)
If I pressurize the fuel going into the fuel injection pump, what PSI should I use?
It does not need to be pressurized.

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
If my fuel injection pump is screwed, would the engine still turn over normally like it is right now? Are there any special symptoms I need to look for?

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What do you mean by "screwed"?

If you mean the leaks, it would turn over fine and they can be repaired with new seals.

If you mean something serious inside it might turn over ok, might not.