www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 23rd, 2018, 16:42   #1
N519AT
Veteran Member

Default Injection Pump Position During TB Change

So I've managed to get my hands on another TDI...this time a 2003 Wagon. It's in great condition.. totally unmolested, no mods, 195k, all MX records all the way back to when it was first purchased. I'm pretty proud of this find, but I did buy it with the timing belt a little overdue to be changed.

So I get it home, park it in the garage and start the surgery, following the tutorial from this site to a T. After putting the new timing belt on and rotating the engine through by hand 4 revolutions I went to put the IP lock back in to check the continuity of the timing. I put the engine at the TDC mark as indicated on the flywheel and it was very difficult to get the IP lock back in. I had to wiggle the crankshaft bolt in order to get the lock pin in place, but I did get it in at the 1 o'clock position. Doing a little bit of investigating, in order to get the IP lock to go into the hole on the pump freely and slide in & out with no effort, the flywheel has to be in this position: https://imgur.com/lup8OEs

Now I can get the lock in when it's much closer to TDC on the flywheel but it's more of a force than easily slipping in. When I put the IP lock pin in place before removing the belt, I noticed the same thing but figured it would somehow go away with the new belt and hardware.

Is this a problem? Or am I still within spec on this since the pin will go in at TDC (although it not easily).
5 Brake Light Mod
Ventectomy
Pipe Insulation (Seasonal)
Hamman Mod (With on/off switch)
Defender Tech Skidplate
Fuel Sender Mod
N519AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 17:16   #2
hollowhead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish beetles, 52 wagon

Did you loosen the bolts on the IP pulley? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything about cam timing.
hollowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 17:25   #3
N519AT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowhead View Post
Did you loosen the bolts on the IP pulley? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything about cam timing.
Yes, the bolts on the IP pulley were loosened. I did center the pin in the oval hole on the IP sprocket before putting the belt back on.

Cam was locked at TDC with the Metalnerd locking tool (pass side lobes facing up).
5 Brake Light Mod
Ventectomy
Defender Tech Skidplate
Fuel Sender Mod
Old April 23rd, 2018, 17:30   #4
hollowhead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish beetles, 52 wagon

How is the cam timing now with the crankshaft at tdc?
hollowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 17:56   #5
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by N519AT View Post
Yes, the bolts on the IP pulley were loosened. I did center the pin in the oval hole on the IP sprocket before putting the belt back on.
Cam was locked at TDC with the Metalnerd locking tool (pass side lobes facing up).
At TDC and with the cam lock in place loosen the IP bolts and adjust the pump
shaft using a 22mm (I think) socket until the pin fits as it should.
The bolts should be near the center of the adjustment slots. If they aren't, the
pump sprocket may be a tooth off.

Last edited by flee; April 23rd, 2018 at 18:06. Reason: changed socket size to 22mm
flee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 18:49   #6
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowhead View Post
How is the cam timing now with the crankshaft at tdc?
That is the most important relationship to be certain to have correct.

The IP can be close enough to be really tight to get the pin in. With the 3 bolts on the IP you can adjust for final starting.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 19:29   #7
N519AT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
At TDC and with the cam lock in place loosen the IP bolts and adjust the pump
shaft using a 22mm (I think) socket until the pin fits as it should.
The bolts should be near the center of the adjustment slots. If they aren't, the
pump sprocket may be a tooth off.
Thanks. Did what you said and got it to the point where it slides in with no effort. I feel pretty stupid now that the fix was so simple.
5 Brake Light Mod
Ventectomy
Defender Tech Skidplate
Fuel Sender Mod
Old April 23rd, 2018, 19:40   #8
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Yep.

I assume you STILL have a locked cam without stress on the plate (you can remove and re-insert it) with the TDC mark centered? You want that bang-on.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 20:00   #9
N519AT
Veteran Member

Yes, after rotataing the engine through again both the cam lock and the IP lock pin are able to move in and out freely at TDC.
5 Brake Light Mod
Ventectomy
Defender Tech Skidplate
Fuel Sender Mod
Old April 24th, 2018, 09:10   #10
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

As long as the mark on the flywheel is at the right spot, the camshaft is locked in the correct position, and the IP pin is in the right spot, all should be well.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 11:14   #11
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by N519AT View Post
Thanks. Did what you said and got it to the point where it slides in with no effort. I feel pretty stupid now that the fix was so simple.
Now have you checked the timing in VCDS? Then you can adjust it where you want it.
I had to reposition the IP pulley on the last TB change after getting everything
set - the bolts were all the way to one side of the slots. So you did better than I!
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:34   #12
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Yesterday I swapped a new IP into my ALH; after I set the TDC on the flywheel and verified the camshaft was oriented correctly, I put the pin into the IP, locked it down and re-set the tensioner on timing belt. Here is what is odd: according to VCDS my IP timing was at 138 degrees. This is not the first time I have installed a pump and had the same reading in VCDS Timing Graph, everything seemed to be okay and she runs fine now. Any ideas?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 13:10   #13
N519AT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
Now have you checked the timing in VCDS? Then you can adjust it where you want it.
I had to reposition the IP pulley on the last TB change after getting everything
set - the bolts were all the way to one side of the slots. So you did better than I!
On the to do list...the car isn't running just yet. Waiting on some parts and I kind of treat this as a something to do while I'm on call. I will probably hold the record for the longest time to do a timing belt.
5 Brake Light Mod
Ventectomy
Defender Tech Skidplate
Fuel Sender Mod