www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 18th, 2018, 10:48   #16
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Actually, Michigan is NOT one of the few remaining "no fault" states. Not really anyway.

The law's intent has been perverted so that if you show up in a hospital with an injury and it's from a car accident they'll bill out at 3x or more what the SAME injury would be billed at if you were NOT in a car. Why? Guess.....

I have family and friends that live in that craphole and am astonished what they get charged.

The same issue applies to multiple cars here. I have two, but can only drive one at a time. EVEN IF I EXCLUDE ALL OTHER DRIVERS (that is, the ONLY person who can operate EITHER car is ME) I pay an ADDITIONAL premium for the second vehicle LIABILITY coverage. How's that again? ONLY ONE CAR CAN HAVE A LIABILITY EXPOSURE AT ANY GIVEN TIME since there's only one covered driver! That's a pure scam; charging the LARGER of the two actuarially-based premiums for liability predicated on the two vehicles is legitimate, but to charge TWO liability premiums when only ONE vehicle can be moving at a given time (and thus give rise to liability) is nothing more than theft.

This crap would *instantly* disappear if you had an at-risk model for public roads. You already need MEDICAL INSURANCE under Obamacare that covers accidents (or you get fined.) Even before then, and again as of next year, you can choose to buy medical insurance -- and such policies cover accidents. Declare as a matter of statute that presence upon or within the right-of-way easement for public roads is an "at-risk" activity, and that only gross negligence overrides this.

If you want your potential injuries in an accident covered, buy medical insurance that covers accidental injury. If you want your car covered in case there's an accident, buy physical damage insurance. If you accept the risk of injury in a wreck and destruction of your property then go without and if you get hurt or your car is destroyed, so be it. There is no more "requirement" to buy car insurance to get plates (which the illegal immigrants ignore anyway -- just like they ignore driver licenses too -- and they're some of the most-likely to hit you!) There are no more fights and lawsuits over "who pays" when there's a wreck -- your insurance pays you, if you have it, and if not, too bad so sad. Your premium would be entirely a function of your individualized risk of loss (and how much is at risk if there is a loss.) If there's gross negligence involved (a commercial driver that's over the legal hourly driving limit, the at-fault operator is legally drunk or stoned, etc) then you can sue because "at risk" envisions ordinary negligence (humans commit errors and this is expected) but not gross negligence.

Literally ALL of the current auto insurance scam would disappear in an afternoon.

Last edited by Genesis; April 18th, 2018 at 11:07.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 11:20   #17
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
ONLY ONE CAR CAN HAVE A LIABILITY EXPOSURE AT ANY GIVEN TIME since there's only one covered driver!
Well, unless you're pulling your one car with your other car.
Old April 18th, 2018, 12:05   #18
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Uh, nope, still one driver, still one liability exposure. Now it would be fair to charge the higher, if there's a difference (e.g. if one vehicle is heavier, less-maneuverable, etc -- and thus more-likely to do more damage) but even if one is pulling the other there's still one "liability source" in an accident.....

(Note that you are *not* charged an additional liability premium for a trailer -- the liability source and where same attaches lies with the vehicle that is being operated.)
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote