www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 12th, 2018, 07:22   #16
Schoust
Veteran Member

I have to laugh! My experience on my sons 99.5 was exactly as Oilhammer has described. I was a PITA. Then I struggled getting the new in because of scoring of the metal when I removed the old. Does anyone know of a cheap tool or perhaps an easy way to make my own so it will be easy to get the new in?
I would prefer that route.
Thanks
Schoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 08:55   #17
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
I have to laugh! My experience on my sons 99.5 was exactly as Oilhammer has described. I was a PITA. Then I struggled getting the new in because of scoring of the metal when I removed the old. Does anyone know of a cheap tool or perhaps an easy way to make my own so it will be easy to get the new in?
Thanks
Are you putting in OEM or the Cupra R bushings?
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:28   #18
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Will the A3 bushing tool work on the MkIV? They look alike from the pics.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 16:08   #19
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
Thanks
Lots already documented on this. All-thread rod, nuts, washers and some wood. And then likely, especially with Cupra R bushings you'll need a cup on the receiving side: I have and use a front wheel bearing outer race. The installation tool, however, isn't all that much if I recollect correctly (but, you'd still need a deep cup of some sorts if you do Cupra R bushings).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 18:21   #20
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That has never been my experience. I always have had to cut/air hammer/chisel/saw metal outer sleeves apart. Remember, YOUR car was assembled at a different plant than ours. It may be yours had a different bushing supplier, or only the wagons sold here (which were made in Germany) used something different. Depending on how badly rusted in place they are, I can spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour per side with them. Pushing the new ones in is easy (with the tool). But getting the old ones out....

All the ones I've done have been plastic casing from 99 to 2005, I've never come across a metal casing in a mk4 yet that's standard.

That is a strange alteration to make just for a different market, I bet they're cheaper or some crap like that.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 03:59   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Ha, you've never experienced a Westmoreland Rabbit, have you?
Old April 14th, 2018, 14:10   #22
Schoust
Veteran Member

Well the moral of this story is before assuming your issue is what you think it may be inspect it thoroughly. Unfortunately I was super busy last week and the place I buy most of my auto parts from is far away from my home. That being the case I purchased the new bushing and borrowed the real deal tool from a buddy who had it. I jacked the car up and inspected the bushing and it was perfect? What gives here lol? I looked it over and used a long bar to load it up and could not duplicate the noise so I removed the lower shock bolt to get a better look and From what I could tell the spring appeared to have turned in the purch? Is this possible? I have never changed anything back there except the pads. How could the spring rotate? Anyway I turned the spring to where it seemed to sit properly and the noise is gone. Quite confused as to how this could have happened but pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to do this PITA job.
Thanks for the advice!
Schoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:29   #23
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

It is well documented if the springs are not sitting "perfect" on the seats they will make noise. As far as the springs rotating on their own, that is a good question. Did you happen to hit a pot-hole recently or come off the edge of a curb? I do wonder what shape the shock(s) are in... is the upper bearing 100% solid, and is the shock smooth in all it's travel?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 14:27   #24
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Lots already documented on this. All-thread rod, nuts, washers and some wood. And then likely, especially with Cupra R bushings you'll need a cup on the receiving side: I have and use a front wheel bearing outer race. The installation tool, however, isn't all that much if I recollect correctly (but, you'd still need a deep cup of some sorts if you do Cupra R bushings).
Can you elaborate on the "cup" needed for the Cupra R bushings? Does the bushing need to seat past the end of the receiving piece? If so, what does this cup seat against when squeezing the bushing in?

Thanks!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 18:23   #25
Seatman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Can you elaborate on the "cup" needed for the Cupra R bushings? Does the bushing need to seat past the end of the receiving piece? If so, what does this cup seat against when squeezing the bushing in?

Thanks!

The proper tool is cupped, the end of the bush sticks out past the hole anyway but sometimes a poly bush can require that little extra push to get it fully home.

I've just replaced mine with poly though and the proper tool worked perfect.
Old April 16th, 2018, 18:25   #26
Seatman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Ha, you've never experienced a Westmoreland Rabbit, have you?

A what now?

I've done a mk3 rear beam bushes with a rottweiller sitting on my head, does that count for anything?

Helping a friend with the car on the deck and his bloody great dog came over and sat on my head lol
Old April 16th, 2018, 19:35   #27
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Front end or back end of said dog? :-)
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 19:47   #28
UhOh
Veteran Member

Clearly folks don't know how to proceed in such operations! No one has mentioned being sure to have a dogbone on hand!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 17:38   #29
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk7 Golf TDI

No one did urethane bushings? They're so easy to install!
Victor Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 18:30   #30
Seatman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Front end or back end of said dog? :-)
The smelly end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Huge View Post
No one did urethane bushings? They're so easy to install!
It's not the install they have trouble with, it's removing the old ones. Over here in the UK all the ones I've dealt with have had a plastic sheath you just break to get them out but they're on about a metal sheath.

I'm sure it's nothing the correct size hammer couldn't sort though lol