www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 22nd, 2018, 19:27   #1
AlwaysFaster

Unhappy 2001 TDI GOLF suddenly difficult to shift when running

Hi,

I bought a 2001 TDI GOLF for a decent price. My friend and I (one after the other) thoroughly tested it and ran through all the gears and everything was fine. I drove it over 200km home without a problem, however maybe 10km from home it started having problems switching gears, have to put more effort than one should to change gears. It switches gears without a problem with the car is off.

Now that the weather is finally nice outside I would like to figure out the problem before the bugs come out.
Looking online it seems that it can be anything from the clutch, to changing the gear oil, or possibly the master or slave cylinder?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Old April 22nd, 2018, 19:56   #2
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Gearbox was cold and no problems, gearbox warms up and shifting gears gets difficult?
And with the engine off it shifts "normally?" Possible clutch and/or an iffy gearbox?
Before you get too worried, I would make sure the shifting linkage is all indexed correctly; there are a couple of very well explained simple videos you can look at.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 20:16   #3
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

I would do some (more) research yet, but suggest bleeding the clutch slave cylinder to start with ( and it can be a bit of a pain). However, I wouldn't be surprised to find you have a worn pivot, fork, etc.
A linkage adjustment and shift tower bushing clean up probably can't hurt either.
Sounds as though the clutch is "dragging" a bit.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2018, 14:47   #4
Jet 02

Fuel Economy: 38 city w/ac 40 w/o, 50hwy
Wink Hard shift clutch problem

My 2002 Jetta started having hard shifting problems. I changed gear lube. no help. It was like the clutch was not fully disengaging. Was prepaired to replace the clurch arm and pivot. Happened to take the car to the car wash.. Clutch problem went away... Turns out the car wash removed the floor mats for cleaning and put them back in over the locating pegs. Turns out the floor mat had slid forward under the pedals and was preventing full pedal travel. Felt stupid for not catching that but happy it was "fixed".
Jet 02
Jet 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 00:26   #5
Momentslater

Fuel Economy: 43/54mpg

I have a service record from Volkswagen of the PO of my car complaining about the car being difficult to go into gear but would go in fine with the engine off. Turns is the flywheel had "exploded". This I think is an extreme case but it was my car's problem at one point.
Momentslater is offline   Reply With Quote