www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 22nd, 2018, 14:12   #16
UhOh
Veteran Member

Although it's a bit dangerous, sometimes you have to run the drivetrain to discern where the noise is coming from. Put the car up on jack stands and run it in gear (5th if a manual). I wasn't sure about a bad wheel bearing until I did this: it was then VERY obvious.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 13:07   #17
flashmayo
Veteran Member

Update on these issues.
The thermometer light on the dash stopped lighting up after I scraped the leads in the coolant bottle with a screwdriver. I did notice tiny amounts of black stuff in the bottle. I hope that's not indicative of oil migrating into the coolant. Will keep an eye on it.
To try to locate the noise in the front end I put it on jack stands and ran it. This was inconclusive. The engine is too loud or the noise is too quiet. I made another observation about this noise while driving. I hear it more pronounced in a sweeping right turn as mentioned earlier, but I also notice it if I'm going straight and hit a dip in the road. This isn't an abrupt bump, but more like a dip that causes the front ent to get loaded as the road surface comes back up on the far side of the dip.
Puff of smoke at startup is still there. I'd like to figure out what that is.
flashmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 20:03   #18
wonneber
Veteran Member

I scraped my coolant pins a few years ago.
Been OK so far.
Funny part, before I scraped them if I drove from the back to the front (1 minute running time) shut the car to run inside for something when I started it again no light.
Seems to happen in colder weather.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 08:50   #19
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Yeah that's expected behavior -- it's not "colder weather" per-se, it's that electrochemical processes (e.g. conductivity, etc) are thermally-sensitive, so as soon as the coolant warms up it's more likely to read "present" as the resistance between the probes falls enough for it to be considered "valid."
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 18:55   #20
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yeah that's expected behavior -- it's not "colder weather" per-se, it's that electrochemical processes (e.g. conductivity, etc) are thermally-sensitive, so as soon as the coolant warms up it's more likely to read "present" as the resistance between the probes falls enough for it to be considered "valid."
I guess my coolant heaters are still working then. This is all of 2 to 3 minutes running time.
Old April 18th, 2018, 19:56   #21
Genesis
Veteran Member

Maybe not. You'd be surprised at how much the coolant warms up in a couple of minutes
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:57   #22
flashmayo
Veteran Member

Update #2:

The front end noise was a gorp'd wheel bearing on the passenger side. I replaced it yesterday. The test that really pinpointed the culprit was the 6 and 12 test, reinforced by the "hold the spring while turning the wheel" test. I would have sworn the issue was with the driver's side based on the vibration felt in my feet, coupled with the noise on turning right but not while turning left. The issue was that the inside race on the passenger side was chewed up pretty bad, which leads tothe symptom showing up while turning right.

2 down, the puff of smoke issue will be next. Along with replacing the clutch/DMF sitting on the shelf.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:17   #23
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Nice work so far!
I'll be watching this, I have smoke at startup, but it's intermittent.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:18   #24
wonneber
Veteran Member

Funny, I have the same smoking and it's intermittent also.
Some days it's a real puffer.
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:28   #25
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonneber View Post
Funny, I have the same smoking and it's intermittent also.
Some days it's a real puffer.
That's me, just occasionally it'll roll smoke up under the whole car, usually not.
First thought is dirty injector is dribbling extra fuel, second thought is it's just the nature of a TDI.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2018, 16:52   #26
flashmayo
Veteran Member

It's been said here that

Blue Smoke = Oil Burning
Black Smoke = Excess Fuel in Exhaust
Grey Smoke = Moisture in Fuel
My smoke is grey. I've never used a moisture reducing agent. The smoke I get has spanned a fuel filter change. If coolant is getting into the combustion chambers, it's doing so at an imperceptible rate. ???
Old July 7th, 2018, 13:36   #27
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
First thought is dirty injector is dribbling extra fuel, second thought is it's just the nature of a TDI.
That's what I'm thinking.
Someday.
Old July 8th, 2018, 08:05   #28
Genesis
Veteran Member

Gray (darker white) smoke can also indicate one or more bad injectors that are pissing fuel. FIX THAT IMMEDIATELY as it can quickly lead to cylinder washdown and thus cylinder damage and, in some cases, can also damage pistons.
Old July 9th, 2018, 16:07   #29
flashmayo
Veteran Member

What's the strategy for checking this? I've done a ghetto injector cleaning on my ford truck gasser that made a big difference. Not sure it's a valid procedure for a diesel injector.

That process was to use pressurized brake cleaner as the cleaning solution and just energize the leads on the injector to allow the cleaner to run through the system.
Old July 10th, 2018, 06:15   #30
Genesis
Veteran Member

Check injector balance on VCDS; if it's out of spec then you have the injectors rebuilt and balanced by someone with the proper equipment.

A "ghetto" method would IMHO be VERY ill advised on a diesel....