www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 20:35   #16
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Kudos! My hat is off to you!

Honestly, I prefer stock look most often, but I REALLY like what you did. That nimbus grey looks great with the black wheels. I admire all the other stuff you did. Really nice!
Agree 100% on all points. Well done!
kcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:42   #17
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintman718 View Post
Over the past two years I have transformed my '99.5 Golf. I have replaced damn near every serviceable item. The original paint was in terrible shape with plenty of dents. The custom paint color is called Nimbus Grey from an Audi. Completely debadged. Here is what it looks like now:

Early in my ownership hauling 800 lbs of scrap metal. This was the "good side" of the car:

All stripped down for the respray:

Turning my garage into a paint booth:

First coat of primer:

Painting done:

awesome
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 18:09   #18
Tintman718
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine17 View Post
so what did you do with the tranny? took it apart..cleaned it and put it back in? im thinking of doing the same thing with mine...any difference ?
The trans had 200k highway miles. Cleaned & inspected first. I replaced a total of 3 worn bearings. All of the gears and cogs looked great and the synchros were well within wear specs. Other than that I scrubbed and painted it, then installed all new seals along with a complete clutch assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Kudos! My hat is off to you!

Honestly, I prefer stock look most often, but I REALLY like what you did. That nimbus grey looks great with the black wheels. I admire all the other stuff you did. Really nice!
Thanks a lot. I know you don't see much of this on TDIclub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice job!
Question:
I have done a bit of two part paint work in my garage over the years (and this year!). I have always had trouble with ventilation using plastic sheeting to build a booth. What did you do to handle/remove fumes, especially when applying clear coat?
Thanks, Tony
Tony, I just took it like a man. No seriously, I probably took a few years off my life since I had no ventilation system at all. The problem with plastic sheeting is that any pressure differential will either pull the plastic inward or outward. If I were to do it over again I would do cross-flow ventilation. Something simple with a square-housing fan and air filter mounted in a cardboard box might help. Honestly, you need quite a bit of flow if you want to eliminate the fumes. Have you ever seen a nice paint booth? The entire ceiling is covered in filters. It's very difficult to mimic that unfortunately.
Tintman718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 18:27   #19
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintman718 View Post
Tony, I just took it like a man. No seriously, I probably took a few years off my life since I had no ventilation system at all. The problem with plastic sheeting is that any pressure differential will either pull the plastic inward or outward. If I were to do it over again I would do cross-flow ventilation. Something simple with a square-housing fan and air filter mounted in a cardboard box might help. Honestly, you need quite a bit of flow if you want to eliminate the fumes. Have you ever seen a nice paint booth? The entire ceiling is covered in filters. It's very difficult to mimic that unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply and really nice looking job!

I repainted a fender and nose piece the same way this summer. I did have a 3M organic vapor mask on and that was minimal protection for the isocyanates in the clear hardener. But the clear really makes a cloud. I ended up opening the garage door a few inches. Next time I will do what you say with a a box filter and fan as I had thought in that direction myself.
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:49   #20
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Used to get 45, but big wheels, big brakes and a roof rack, 36mpg now

Looks great. Part number of SKF heim joints?
Panzer FMJ Skid Plate, PP520's on Flow Balanced Injectors, H&R 28mm Rear Swaybar, Eurosport X Brace, TT Shifter, 42DD shifter Bushings, exhaust restriction reduction, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, TT front control arms, spindles and brakes, 17" wheels w/ Potenza Summer Tires
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:31   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Looks great! Fantastic job!!!! I love seeing great cars get a new lease on life.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:27   #22
brandonkraemer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg

Any chance you can repost the photos?
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:36   #23
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I did a search on the photo sharing gallery, but these pics were not there. I too would like to see them.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:50   #24
brandonkraemer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg

I'm thinking this was the car I remembered seeing on here with the Nimbus Grey finish and orange accents for calipers, which looked awesome, or was that someone else's project?
Old April 18th, 2018, 12:38   #25
Tintman718
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than other people.

Long gone but not forgotten. I've bought about 80 VW's since this baby and honestly I miss her the most.
Tintman718 is offline   Reply With Quote