2005 BEW Intake flap motor

gaskibba

TDI
2005 Jetta Sportswagon Auto' BEW 240,000 mi and counting
Hi, I've got a CEL that points to the intake flap motor. I've got a 2005 Jetta Sportswagon with the BEW engine. The price at Impex is north of $400. Is there a repair for this thing or someplace I can get it for less?

Thanks
Gerard

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
What is the exact code? Sometimes the electrical connection to it can be bad. It would be a shame to buy a new one and have the same code.

I have also read of a couple of instances where the plastic gears in the flap motor fail (strip out), and in that case, you would have to buy a new intake flap. You can check for that by manually opening and closing the throttle plate. The air intake boot must be disconnected to get to the flap with your finger to press against it. If the gears are stripped, you will know it.

A fairly stiff spring tension keeps the flap (actually a throttle plate) open unless the motor closes it (it is a vairiable flap and closes varying amounts, depending upon the EGR flow called for by the ECU--it works in conjunction with the EGR valve to increase EGR flow).

--Nate

gaskibba

TDI
2005 Jetta Sportswagon Auto' BEW 240,000 mi and counting
2005 BEW Intake Flap Motor

I don't know what the code is. The CEL was checked with a VAG-COM at Wildrose VW in Norwalk, CA. The CEL has come and gone several times in the last 4-5000 miles or so.No pattern to it. I understand that 2006 VW BRM motor has had TSB out for a similar problem. It supposedly involves a reflash of the computer and a replacement of the Intake Flap Motor if the CEL still appears. Any info would be appreciated

Gerard

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It is very likely a broken wire, costs 50 cents to fix.

The wire tends to break right where it turns horizontal and enters the wiring loom along the windshield brow. I have found two broken there.

Dan

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Dan, is this from normal wear and tear or defective/weak parts? I appreciate the three month update.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It is very difficult to tell what happened for sure.

I suspect that the gear teeth broke first. The were in the area of the gear that would be engaged when the butterfly was full open.

Let's postulate that the butterfly froze up in the open position. Maybe due to winter ice, and then the cold brittle plastic teeth snapped off as the motor tried to close it.

Once the teeth broke, the flap is no longer pinned hard in place; it can move a tad. The position feedback sees the flap out of position and tries to move it back into position, but the teeth are broken off, so the motor runs continuously.

It is only made for intermittent duty, so the motor overheats and fails.

It is as good a guess as any.

With the power off of a healthy PD ASV, you can reach in and move the flap with a fingertip on the butterfly plate. When you apply power it moves back open.

When it has power, you can move it about 1 degree out of position, then the motor kicks in and re-positions it full open. I would only try this when the plastic was warm.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have replaced a few of these on several PDs. Not super common, but they do sometimes break.

I think some of the vendors here have them for a little less money than the dealer, but generally speaking electronic throttle bodies (for any make that uses them, which is most all of them now) are just expensive.

I took apart a dead one from a GM 3.5L OHV V6 the other day, and while it had metal gears instead of plastic (good thing!) the little Jideco (Japanese) motor and it's "Made in Malaysia" sealed bearing were not up to the task of lasting forever.

The Volkswagen ones, made by Pierburg generally, are well made EXCEPT they use plastic gears that can strip out.

The one I had to replace on an Avalon a month ago was $900, so don't feel bad! :eek: