GOLF FLS TDI Fuel Tank Capacity

marcw

TDI
Golf, 2003, White
I have a 2003 Golf GLS TDI (1.9L, 90HP, 4 Cyl) diesel with manual trans. The car manual states that the size of my fuel tank is 14.5 gallons (with 1.9 of the overall 14.5 being used for reserve). However, I have noticed that I put in much more than 14.5 gallons. On my last tank full, I drove it for 807 miles and was not on complete empty (close, nit noth yet there). I have filled up several times after the low fuel light has come on and found that I am putting anywhere from 15-16.4 gallons in the tank. I am not too familiar with VW's (first one) and don't know too much about cars in general, but I do want to ask - Can it be that my fuel tank is actually larger than the manual stat of 14.5 gal? Do they make Golf TDI's with anything other than a standard 14.5 gal tank? How would I tell how large my tank is? Just curious. if anyone can shed any light on this, please do.
Thanks,
Marc W.
duckblind123@yahoo.com

soc993

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf TDI
From what I've read here, the fuel tank is larger than quoted in the manual. I think my (Jetta '04) tank is the same size and on numerous occasions I have put more in than 14.5, with the most ever being 17.1 at which point it was filled to the brim. I believe all A4 chassis cars ('99-'05) have the same tank. Another neat feature with the diesel motor is being able to fuel up without turning off the engine. There have been many posts on the fuel tank capacity issue, try a search.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
17.1 is about the max, and you were on fumes.
The most-agreed to number is somewhere between 16.9 and 17.0 when vented. Some have ran their tanks bone-dry, then filled without venting and say "The tank capacity is 16.2 gallons" or whatever...for those that vent we have found the number to be slightly higher. The most I have put in is 15.3, the needle was on the lowest white mark, and I did not have guts to drive much further.
Cheers,
-BB

marcw

TDI
Golf, 2003, White
Thanks for the info. I thought that it had to be larger than 14.5 gal. By the way, it is a 2003 and I drive it manily highway in Northern VA. I have 41K on the car and I have been averaging from day I drove it home from the dealership about 50 mpg. I tell you than when the price of fuel goes up, it sure is nice to get that extra milage. The last fill up, I drove for 65 miles AFTER the low fuel light had come on. Don't make a habit of that, but it is nice to know to I have that extra distance that I can go. Thanks again for the fuel tank info.

soc993

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf TDI
I too am suspicious of the 17.1 I put in because I did not believe tank was so low that it could take 17.1, leading me to believe maybe, just maybe the station had a pump that was not quite calibrated correctly, if you catch my drift....I have since stopped purchasing fuel there and have yet to put "17.1" gallons in despite similar odometer readings.