Vibration-mount issue?

T.W.

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta sedan; 03 Jetta SW
First: Happy Memorial holiday - thanks to all who serve or have served!

Car is 2005 Passat TDI 4 dr sedan.

I am getting significant vibration upon acceleration and usually past 50 mph.
A club member suggested tire issue - swapped front with known good ones - no change.
In doing tires saw driver's side outer boot destroyed. Replaced joint - no change.
Asked wife to move the car, and I had the hood up - when she put in D or R, I observed the
engine either dip or raise (what I thought was a significant amount) - so I am asking could
bad motor mounts (and/or transmission mounts) cause the vibration? Once up to speed, 70-75 mph, letting up off the accelerator and it runs smooth (and taking it out of gear also
had no vibration) but once you put some torque to it it shakes/vibrates significantly.
Thanks in advance. TW

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
There's a long list of possible causes, and I won't remember them all, but...

Bad rear tires can cause vibration in a speed range, I know from personal experience.

Your car most likely has high mileage, so got to go down the list:

motor and tranny mounts may be worn out

CV joints and /or axles may have worn out.

The balance shaft problems and alternator pulley problems are mostly noted at idle until the BSM kills your engine...

the front snub mount is a lot less important.

It is always useful to connect Vag-com to check for error codes.

What else did you have to do this holiday weekend? Oh, Ow!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
As auntulna said there are a few possible causes. Can you see any red fluid leaking around the motor mounts? The fact that the front of the engine is dipping and rising would make me suspect the snubber. I had a vibration that showed up ~20K miles after replacing the motor mounts and snubber. Replaced the transmission mounts and that cured it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Agreed, if it gets smooth when coasting at the same speeds, but vibrates under load / accelerating, then the inner joints are a common cause.

T.W.

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta sedan; 03 Jetta SW
Update: Solution; and it runs well

Almost a month, but the problem is solved. In the process I did contact Marty and replaced the front with a set of Raxles -EXCELLENT customer service. Axles did not do it and the problem continued to get worse and I also started smoking with a lot of black smoke. While OilHammer has done a lot of work to the car, I did not feel I could make it to St. Louis and shopped it locally. The diagnosis was the camshaft. So at 239000, I have a new camshaft, lifters and bearings and a TB job. First trip yesterday MFD showed 41.5 MPG which is about where she was previously. Now she runs GREAT; and smooth :) and I am a happy camper. First Passat for me and with the quick onset of the problem, I would not have guessed that it could be a camshaft. :confused: BUT, all seems to be good now - so I guess I can take her to da car wash. :D As usual - thanks for all of the replies and assistance.

TW

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Glad you got her all fixed up!

Didn't realize you put another 60k on it so far.