** HELP** Wiring diagram needed for steering controls

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
long story short- clock spring replaced on my 2013 Passat as part of recall. Since then- steering controls and steering button illumination and horn have worked then stopped working within in days of new clock spring. Dealer has replaced clock spring 4 times, each time this fixes all the issues but they recur within hours/days.

Dealer refuses to replace clock spring again and has begun charging diagnostic hours to figure out why symptoms continue to recur. They suggest it's the steering wheel controls themselves. They suggest clock spring, wiring and steering control module is good. I'm not so sure because:

1) I have a vcds scans that show steering angle sensor loss of calibration AFTER clock spring is replaced and calibrated. My understanding is the angle sensor is built into the clock spring and not dependent on steering wheel buttons.
2) Horn and illumination of the buttons both fail. I would thing these 2 circuits would not be part of the steering control buttons themselves but would be simple circuits between the headlight controls and ground?.

I'm hoping someone can post a wire diagram so that I can confirm this but I suspect there is a ground wire issue that is taking out all these functions at once.

My 1st clock spring was bad- as all sypmtoms started after turning steering full lock and I felt a snap, then heard clicking every time the steering wheel turned after that. At the same time, I lost all buttons, horn, illumination & got an airbag light immediately. All subsequent clock springs after that have likely been replaced needlessly- since no clicking could be heard and the airbag light never returned... but I don't think it's the steering wheel buttons either.

Can anyone post a diagram of the circuits through the clock spring and through to the steering wheel buttons?

TIA

Last edited:

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
Never mind- I found the problem. The dealer must have wrestled with the harness during their service and partially unplugged a connector... then couldn't find the problem and suggested I start throwing parts at the problem. BTW- no more Bentley support on newer VW??? That stinks!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Never mind- I found the problem. The dealer must have wrestled with the harness during their service and partially unplugged a connector... then couldn't find the problem and suggested I start throwing parts at the problem. BTW- no more Bentley support on newer VW??? That stinks!

You can use https://erwin.vw.com and get a 1 day subscription, then download all the manuals for all the cars you want.