ALH necessary wiring

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I'm looking to use the VW ECM to tell my Toyota cluster some of its information.

- I'd like to hook the 4wd light in the Toyota cluster to the glow plug indicator (our truck is a 2wd). Anyone know which pin out of the ECM I can tap into? Looks like ECM pins 6, 7, 16, 20, & 27 go to the cluster.

- I'd like to have the ECM drive my oil pressure gauge or at least my oil pressure dummy light

- I'd like to use the ECM's data to drive the stock Toyota 3VZ tachometer (I've read all kinds of stuff about this: data acquired from pin 27 (Jimbote), pin 110 (possibly e*clipse), replace 15ohm resistor in tach/cluster w/ 33ohm (e*clipse & dustystdi). Looking to clear the air on this topic.

- have the ECM have the ability to light up the Toy's CEL (possibly pin 24)

Additional info: 1992 Toyota Xcab pickup DLX, 2002 ALH 121 pin ECU.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
-you can use the same 12v that powers the glow plugs to turn on the light, on my '86 I had to require the cluster so +12v triggers it (light had a constant +12v, had to change to constant ground).
-I installed the Toyota pressure sender on the oil filter housing.
-CEL is easy, someone can confirm which pin it is I'm sure.
-haven't figured tach out yet

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I figured I could grab the power going to the glows to use as a source for my light but then thought "Isn't that information already being shared by the ECM? Why should I run another wire out of the bay when I can tap into the ECM source?"

In the name of cleanliness, I was hoping to obtain the signal from the ECM. I'll already have a small bundle of wires heading from the passenger kick panel over to the DBW pedal and cluster.

I appreciate you chiming in. Was the thread the same from the VW oil filter housing to the Toyota pressure sender or did it have to be retapped?

As I draw nearer to a close on this project, I want to make sure I have as much info as possible on the front end.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I believe the VW threads are strait and the toyota threads are tapered, it screwed in there nice and snug though. Blue arrow is oil pressure sender, red arrow is coolant temp sensor. I used the Toyota sensor because the resistance value of the VW different and would cause the gauge to read incorrectly.

Bolts-n-Hose

TDI
TDI
-you can use the same 12v that powers the glow plugs to turn on the light, on my '86 I had to require the cluster so +12v triggers it (light had a constant +12v, had to change to constant ground).
-I installed the Toyota pressure sender on the oil filter housing.
-CEL is easy, someone can confirm which pin it is I'm sure.
-haven't figured tach out yet

If someone can confirm the CEL pin for an ALH, it would be helpful. :)

mniceracer

TDI
99.5 jetta 2001 jetta 82 pickup mtdi 92 toyota alh work-in -progress
alh harness mod

Hi all I haven`t posted anything on here for a couple of years because I usually can find the answers I need here or elsewhere but I`m having trouble finding the right info for my Toyota tdi swap.

I`ve spent the time looking at the diagrams and finding the necessary wires to make it run but it doesn`t run unless I put 12v directly to the shut off solenoid.

I`ve seen a lot of posts from people giving some info but I can`t find anyone that has a simple of wire colors and where they need to go.I`m using an 02 jetta harness and ecu any help would be greatly appreciated.

mniceracer

TDI
99.5 jetta 2001 jetta 82 pickup mtdi 92 toyota alh work-in -progress
alh harness mod

Hi all again.I got the engine to run finally.

I went back over everything and realized I was missing the black and lilac from pin37 on ecu it needs switch power I was using black and lilac from 14 pin conn.until I realized that's a dead wire.

since I`ve yet to see a simple list of wires that will make the engine run here`s the wires needed to make it run and throttle pedal work the rest is pretty self explanatory.

14 pin connector
#2 black and green switch power
#5 red and lilac not sure yet if this needs constant power switched power
#6 yellow and black switch power
#10 black and green switch power
#7 ground

pin #37 in ecu black and lilac switch power
pins#1 and 2 red and lilac constant 12v
pins#4and 5 brown and red ground

If any of this is wrong please feel free to correct me.