Any ideas why my window auto up/down stopped working?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
This is just on my front driver's side window. It used to go all the way down or up, if you pushed/pulled the window button, but it just stopped working this morning. If I want to roll it all the way down, I have to keep it pressed until it goes all the way.

The other 3 windows are working normally.

I was planning on bringing my car into my local dealer for its 10K oil change as well as a few rattles, so I'll add this to the list, but was hoping someone might know what could cause this.

Thanks.
-Nick

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
happens to mine too every couple months. It's the pinch protection. Roll it up all the way and then continue to click it to the auto up all the way for a few seconds. I think go down and then once it's down, click it down all the way for a few seconds. I'm not sure if you need to do both up and down but it resets the pinch protection safety feature and the auto up/down should work

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
happens to mine too every couple months. It's the pinch protection. Roll it up all the way and then continue to click it to the auto up all the way for a few seconds. I think go down and then once it's down, click it down all the way for a few seconds. I'm not sure if you need to do both up and down but it resets the pinch protection safety feature and the auto up/down should work

..... thanks for the info X 10

.... happened to mine too.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I did not do any of that and it is all of a sudden working. Dealer says that it may have to do with the cold weather causing some resistance that makes the pinch protection think there is something in the way. Who knows, but I’ll try your tips the next time it happens.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I had my driver side window motor replaced by the dealer to fix the issue. There was a discussion on vwvortex a while back about this being a problem with a bad window motor and the solution was to have the dealer replace it under warranty. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the window motor overheating and when it does the auto up/down memory is erased.

When I bought the car it was the end of December and the issue became more and more frequent as the weather got warmer. I had to bring it to the dealership 3 times before they said it was a faulty motor and it was replaced under warranty. If you decide to try and have the dealer replace the motor, bring them the car after you lose the window memory. DO NOT RESET IT, it will throw no codes, and everything will seem like its working perfectly normally when they run their diagnostics and they will make you come back if it happens again. At least that was my experience with the issue.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Driver's window regulators seem to be a common failure. Draws too much current then turns off the auto up/down. Ignition on, window up, hold the switch up and you will hear a faint click, release and pull up one more time till it clicks and it will be reset. These regulators are easy to replace as well compared to say a MK4 VW. If you have auto up/down via KeyFob active, it will not work when the regulator needs resetting, just FYI.

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
I’ve had this happen on every Mk4 VW I’ve owned, along with my Mk6 Jetta and Mk7’s. Seems to do it most when ever I disconnect and reconnect the main battery. Seems like in order for them (or one) to start working automatically again I have to cycle the windows up and down a few times (does it learn it’s travel limits?)

Also they don’t seem to work when the battery is low in voltage. Put a new Chinese radio in my Mk6 Jetta and the radio drained the battery when it sat for two days. Jump started the car and the automatic windows did not work until the battery was fully charged. Experienced this in my 2003 Jetta 1.8T aswell.