new winter set up with TPMS Sensiors for my GSW

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
new winter set up with TPMS Sensors for my GSW

My new 2015 GSW 6mt doesn't have TPMS sensors on the factory 16" wheels, however I just picked up a set of 17" VW wheels from a recalled tdi that is being crushed that has the TPMS sensors already on the rims. Is there any way to activate the TPMS through VCDS on my car when it didn't come from the factory with that option?
The wheels I picked up are 17" with Hankkok I Pikes - VW part # 1K0601025AE - I think they are called Avignon. I see the ET is 54. I thought it should be 49 for 17"? Anyone know if that is going to cause a problem? I believe the wheels came off a 2012 jetta sedan or wagon...not sure.
BTW - one of our local yards are crushing a couple of trailers of TDI's per week. The only thing they can take off the car are the wheels and batteries, then they go straight into the crusher. I saw 8 cars getting crushed today while I was picking through 100's of sets of rims.....

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
MK VII doesn't use typical wheel mounted TPMS sensors. It monitors ABS sensors to determine differences in tire diameter. More revs per mile = flat tire...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Similar to our curmudgeon sailor's post, model year 2014 and after don't need wheel sensors. It's all in the anti-lock brake mechanism programming.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think the OP is asking to retrofit sensors instead of needing them.

2011 and later didn't need sensors, they prob didn't include the sensor reader either as a cost cutting measure as well. The sensors do provide a quicker notification of a flat tire if you had a leaker over night, where the ABS needs to roll a few rotations before it flags, so there is some benefit over ABS.

Of note when the jettas golfs and wagons did include the sensors, it was a very low level implementation, you couldn't read individual PSI per tire, it was just "everything's good (no indicator) or something is bad (indicator flashing), you had to find the bad apple.