Causes of a flashing glow plug light

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm not following.
Users are having GP indicator on.
I can only assume they know that's part of the engine system. How are we jumping to the conclusion or making any sort of link between that and changing some light bulbs?

Scan the system to get the actual DTC instead of these crazy theories!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes but depending on the year of your car if a brake light is out then the GP will flash……don’t know why unless it’s to get your attention that a safety feature is malfunctioning .

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't it amazing how the diagnostic tool quickly identifies the problem as opposed to us all speculating on the year, brake light, gp, etc?

Maybe I'm wrong......

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Actually, I doubt VW quit using the Flashing GP light when the brake light bulbs both go out. Why would they? Csstevej, it does pertain to a Safety Issue. Also, I've read Threads where people added LEDs and had the same issue. And, seems I've read about trailers with LED lights causing problems.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Isn't it amazing how the diagnostic tool quickly identifies the problem as opposed to us all speculating on the year, brake light, gp, etc?

Maybe I'm wrong......
So, if this guy in South Africa doesn't have the Diagnostic Tool, do you expect him to run to the nearest Dealer for $120 scan? Really?
He came here looking for advice. Bad brake bulbs (the wrong bulbs) will not leave a DTC.

Yes, I agree ........... scan it, if you have them means!

It is very simple to see if the brake lights are working or not. If not, change the bulbs and the issue goes away with nothing stored.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

Maybe I'm wrong......
I agree with you on using the correct diagnostic tool , most on here have one but not all do and come here for some advice and hopefully learn from the people on here.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From a safety perspective it makes sense as we know drivers are ignorant, and they won't sweat a burnt out bulb... But they may have a different reaction if they believe there's an engine problem... So they go in for service and it gets addressed.

Realistically, having a lic plate bulb out is very different than having no brake lights... So I like VWs approach on this one.

LEDs without additional resistors always cause issues, but this is very known.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, if this guy in South Africa doesn't have the Diagnostic Tool, do you expect him to run to the nearest Dealer for $120 scan? Really?
He came here looking for advice. Bad brake bulbs (the wrong bulbs) will not leave a DTC.

Yes, I agree ........... scan it, if you have them means!

It is very simple to see if the brake lights are working or not. If not, change the bulbs and the issue goes away with nothing stored.
Not sure what got you all sideways because I never said don't check what you're suggesting. I'm also reading this off my phone, off a trail while walking my dog. No idea that dude is in South Africa or that they do t even have el cheapo generic scanners that may or may not drop a clue. He also didn't specify a lot of detail with regards to what he's got, what he had serviced, what pre existing issues he had, etc. He worked on his front lights, and from that I cannot see how his brake light on both sides would burn out....

Or are brake lights on the front of vehicles in South Africa and I'm not aware of it?

tdi.92

TDI
2004 BEW 5 spd Wagon, 2004 BEW auto Wagon
Old thread, but I recently ran into this issue in Calgary, AB. 2004 BEW 5 Spd jetta wagon. 0 Issues with the car until a friend points out a tail light and brake light out. I figure okay, not a big deal I'll just replace them. Went to the local Canadian Tire here to get some bulbs. The bulbs that the computer suggested at the store is what I purchased. I installed them easily. The next day I was driving through town with my park lights on (Euro Switch) and here comes the flashing glow plug light...Thinking to myself the car is driving fine, no loss of power, no weird noises, nothing. Turned the car off, back on but kept the euro switch in the off position so only the DRL's were on. No light.
I knew it was related to the lights I had just installed in the car because I didn't have this issue a couple days prior. I went back to Canadian Tire, double checked the bulbs I got and sure enough it's what the system had suggested. But I noticed the dead bulb I pulled out of the car had just 2 "nipples" on the bottom of it whereas the new ones I had purchased had just 1 "nipple" (I know there's a proper term for this but I just don't know it. I think you catch my drift). Turns out that was what threw the electrical system for a trip. Needed those 2 nipples on the base of the light in the wagon. Now it's back to being a happy wagon with 0 issues.
Hope this helps someone

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the single nipple is for Tail light. And the double nipple is for Brake and Signal light.

Curious if you had the codes cleared.