Ran out of fuel

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Sitting idling in a parking lot on a level surface I ran out of fuel. The low fuel light was not on and hadn't been on. I expected it to be on any minute. The light did work when I cycled the key. I walked 100 yards to the gas station. Found an empty Def jug. I put some diesel in and walked back. Filled the tank and cycled the key 3 or 4 times. No joy. Cycled the key a couple more times and that did the trick. There is no doubt in my mind I ran out of fuel. 1.5 gallons in the Def and 15.7 at the pump. Obviously I need to fill up earlier but the no light thing is disconcerting. The previous tank the light was on for only 30 miles. I've gone as far as 75 with the light. My next stop was the gas station a tenth of a mile away. Car failed to start after my part time job. Good thing I work at an auto auction complete with gas truck.
What could be going on.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I bet if you remove the bottom part of the back seat, take off the round cover to the tank (3 screws), and then remove the pump assembly, you'll find it all black with soot and possibly black algae. Yep, somehow soot from the injectors makes it back to the tank on the return.

So, likely the float level is not going all the way down to trip the light circuit or, that part of the circuit is covered with the crud.

Removing the assemble is a messy job.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Black (soot-filled) engine oil that lubricates the PD injectors bleeds across the sealing o-rings at each injector and into the return fuel line... thus back to the tank... which over time coats the tank and fuel pump/sender.

Which is why working on the fuel pump/sender on a PD can be a bit of a dirty job. :)

It will clean up with solvent/diesel/brake drum cleaner.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
... but hey, you almost got that xxx number of miles on the tank that everyone seems to strive for.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Running out fuel is a bummer, especially with a vehicle that doesn't have a lift pump!

Quick story! July, 2017, first day out on a long road trip. In southern Wisconsin I was pushing the ALH Vanagon pulling a camper a little too far on a low tank. Then, when I decided to take an upcoming exit for fuel there was construction and congestion big time. So, on and on for the next 15 or more miles exit after exit had construction and back-ups. Then, finally a exit with no construction or back-ups.

Anyway, a hard right at the end of the exit ramp, then another hard right to the service road, then left then right then left to the auto diesel pump. I filled it up then no start................. made one hell of a mess bleeding the injectors to get it going. I explained to the attendant... he said don't worry! By the time I cleaned up the mess, including washing my hands in the restroom, the air was full of diesel aroma.:D

All those hard rights and lefts caused the fuel to slosh around allowing air to be sucked in. If I remember correctly, it held 14.9 gallons on the 16 gallon tank. So, it had 1.1 gallons spread out on the bottom of the tank but the sloshing done me in!:eek:

OP, dig in and clean up your pump assembly! Problem solved!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Quite weird to see all that soot on the pump. Mine was clean as a whistle when I pulled it.
It's a PD thing... I'm thinking according to your sig you have an ALH and a common-rail? Although..... ALHs generally don't have lift pumps.. hmmmmmmmmm. :)