Boost vs hg

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
How much boost you guys running without popping head gasket? I just did compounds 42mm-60mm. It builds 49psi and pulls like a train:p but I just took fuel out of it and am running 40-42psi just wondering if ittl live.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Firstly, wow. I would to see that beast in person. Even with ARP head studs that is a lot of boost. If you have a mostly unlimited toy spending account, then go for it!

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
Lol It does have head studs and the pistons are flycut and have bowls cut so compression is around 16.5:1 If not lower. I’m running a hx30 and a hx40. I’m gonna hook up my drive pressure gauge to see if it’s close to 1:1 but I’m surprised at how responsive it is. Gonna be interesting to see what it will take

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
running similar 50/60 imp/emp
Only hit it that hard maybe 10 times so far, pulls from maybe 40-90mph, want to get rid of the interstage intercooler before I beat on it too much as the HP turbo is going to kill itself trying to breathe through that stock sidemount
just the bowls delipped and radiused, no valve relief cuts
no pressure in the coolant yet

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
ran 33psi with stock pd130 head bolts of over a year , no issues at all , and i hammered that car, i raced allsorts trying to blow it up and it just laughed at me .

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
In what way you find that the boost will make any difference on your gasket blowing away?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh right, torque is what makes the head lift.
Limit torque and make your power higher in the revs instead, engine will be happier

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
can you PLEASE post some pics and videos of your build?? Us bench racers want to see it!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
but it builds 20psi around 2000rpm
careful, 20 psi with that is a lot more air than 20 psi with any of the drop in turbos
Safe to assume you're doing your own mapping?

The rpm/atmospheric pressure fuel limit map is your best friend with big turbos that are likely to get lugged into boost at low revs.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
if you're lifting the head anywhere, it's usually at lower RPM and high boost because the breathing is generally best there with the negative overlap camshafts that you get on diesels

ETA: and it's easy to pay no attention at all to the injection timing down there, as it is rarely encountered, so an overadvanced condition is pretty normal especially after putting in bigger nozzles