2015 Sportwagen Info

Z40520

TDI
Future: JSW TDI
Hello all! Long time lurker here, finally time for my first post.

I came to TDIClub because of my interest in the JSW TDI as a replacement vehicle for my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9L, 11mpg) and this website has been a tremendous resource for me in my search. Thank you all.

Circumstances didn't allow for a purchase in 2013. I wanted a JSW badly, but didn't need it. Now, as 2014 hums along, I'm getting to the point where "needs" are getting real honest (finish my MBA in May, 1st child due in June, start new job in July) and my truck has far surpassed it's useful life. Heck, for a Chrysler product, 15 years on the road and 160K miles isn't all that bad. Can you tell I've been trying to justify this purchase for months and months and months?

Well, I've gotten to the point where I am more than eager to know when the new JSW is going to be offered for sale, and I'm kind of tired of all the speculation (on my part) and uncertainty (all of us). So, I contacted VW USA yesterday, and had two interesting takeaways. I know I'm not the first to do this, but I think I'm the first to share some of these observations and data points.

1. I referred to the model as both the 2015 Jetta Sportwagen and 2015 JSW. The rep replied with something along the lines of "blah blah blah... glad to hear it... rumble rumble...2015 Sportwagen." Did I read that correctly? I typed back, asking if Jetta will be dropped from the name officially for 2015? Her response, "Sorry for the confusion, but I'm unable to confirm that detail at this time." Did she just slip up? Why not just say no if that's the answer? Would a customer service rep even have knowledge of decisions at this level of importance? Probably not, but I think it breaks up the monotony of the waiting game. I think there's just enough there to not ignore, but not enough to be really excited.

2. I asked her when the 2015 Sportwagen would be available. Her response was that the MK7 Golf and Sportwagen will not be available until "June/July at the earliest" and that anything sooner would be "extremely unlikely."

Great, that's not the news I was hoping for, but at least I have a target now. However, in the process of my own research I came up with some interesting conclusions about the MK7 Golf/Sportwagen production and demand statistics. According to a 12/13/13 VW press release (http://media.vw.com/release/561/)[/URL], VW has already sold 500,000 MK7 golfs throughout Europe. That’s roughly 1,350 vehicles per day in required production capacity, assuming demand is flat, although we know it isn't. So we know they have that as baseline capacity to start. Then, I read (not in the same press release, but still on media.vw.com) that the Puebla facility will produce approximately 700 MK7 Golfs per day. We know that the Golf and Sportwagen share MQB architecture at least up to the A-pillar, but I assume that everything further back is at least marginally unique. It’s safe to assume that the Golf and Sportwagen will be produced on the same production line(s), but we don’t know if production will be concurrent, or if there’s some quota of Golfs they want to pump out before starting in on the wagons. Safe to say that, at a minimum, VW has added some incrementally greater production capability for the Golf/Sportwagen platform, which should make us happy, right?

Now for the demand side of this equation. After all, an increase in production capacity is only valuable if they have demand to absorb it. As most people know, they run automotive production lines 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Minus costly down-time for repairs, retooling, routine maintenance, etc. They avoid stopping the line if at all possible, it's very expensive. They're obviously not dumping $750 million into the Puebla plant because they want lower production utilization, right?

According to the same previously mentioned press release, VW delivered 2,260,000 vehicles to it’s largest market, China, where they enjoyed double-digit demand growth (17.5%) in 2013. In a distant second place, not surprisingly, is Europe, who took 1,510,000 vehicles, which is down 4.6% from last year. Demand in the United States was down 5.2% from 2013, to just 373,700 vehicles. So, our appetite for VW on the whole is only slightly less bleak than that of Brazil, where demand dropped a staggering 18.8%. To me, the sad and clear realization out of this data: We’re going to be standing at the end of the line for the MK7, regardless of form. Another staggering realization: if the demand trend continues, even for just the next few months, China will consume more VW passenger vehicles than the rest of the world combined in 2014.

A glimmer of hope (on release date), though, came in the same press release when VW stated that “Our brand's most important model, the Golf, has once again been a strong driver. The latest generation (MK7) has got off to an excellent start and we will be delivering the 500,000th model this December, just one year after the market launch. We expect to see further momentum from key countries such as China and the USA, where the Golf will be launched shortly.” I don’t know about you, but shortly, to me, doesn’t mean seven months. Shortly means shortly!

You'd all be very accurate to call me impatient, but there’s also part of me that’s cautiously optimistic that we might see the MK7 platform sooner than we think. Do Germans under-promise and over-deliver? Let's hope!

Calling on the VW dealership professionals out there: When the actual U.S. Release date is announced, how far in advance of that date, if at all, would we be able to order one at dealerships?

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I don't have the answer to your question, but I have to give you credit for doing your research on the next generation and analysis of VW production. With all of that said, I would check VW of Langhorne, Chris Farnham specifically, and check on his inventory. I think his inventory will give you an idea of what might happen regarding the model change. I also think it might motivate you to look at a Mk6 at the end of its run or make it clear that the MK7 is near.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I don't have the answer to your question, but I have to give you credit for doing your research on the next generation and analysis of VW production. With all of that said, I would check VW of Langhorne, Chris Farnham specifically, and check on his inventory. I think his inventory will give you an idea of what might happen regarding the model change. I also think it might motivate you to look at a Mk6 at the end of its run or make it clear that the MK7 is near.
Chris is no longer at VW of Langhorne......and doesn't start at his new dealer until Feb 1 and that Dealer is not known yet nor are how deals will be handled

Brimacfly

TDI
'13 Golf Wagon tdi, 6spd
Great write up and analysis, and congrats on the 1st born coming. I have owned mine for four months now and love it. It has been rocking in deep snow and cold weather as of late.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
Where is Chris Farnham?

Chris is no longer at VW of Langhorne......and doesn't start at his new dealer until Feb 1 and that Dealer is not known yet nor are how deals will be handled
I missed that! Thanks for the heads up Tomo. I hope we see him again here soon.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
My suggestion is if you really need a vw in 2015 I would think the golf will be here first in far greater numbers than the JSW, wait until Chris reappears ( I also did not know he left Langhorne) and put down a deposit on a 2015, Chris has been a great sales guy for many of us here and many have travel much further than Ohio to get a car from him.

Z40520

TDI
Thanks, all for the info. I will definitely look up Chris wherever he turns up - not sure if I'll be able to make a trip to Philly to buy a car, though.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just wondering with your recent studies, if you ever calculated how much money you have spent on fuel for the RAM?

looks like around 15,500 gallons of regular unleaded.

Z40520

TDI
just wondering with your recent studies, if you ever calculated how much money you have spent on fuel for the RAM?

looks like around 15,500 gallons of regular unleaded.
Luckily, I've only had the Ram since 1/1/10 and can claim about 40K miles. Unfortunately, that's still 3,600+ gallons at over $3 a gallon - well north of $10,000. I only purchased the Ram after my '99 Ranger was totaled with 105K miles. Some bluehair ran a red light and T-boned me in a Trailblazer on my way to work, otherwise I'd still be driving it today.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
There has never been a Mk 6 Jetta/Golf wagon. The wagon rides on the Mk 5 platform, but for the 2010 M.Y. got a nose job and a freshened dash to match the Mk 6 Golf hatch, and in Canada, it also got renamed Golf Wagon. But it's still a Mk 5 underneath.

That said the Mk 5 wagon is an excellent car and an excellent choice. If you must have the latest, then wait for the Mk 7 but my experience with VW is that the end of a model run is a better deal than the very beginning of a new model run. My 2011 Mk 6 Golf hatch (2nd year of the run) has given me plenty of problems but my wife's 2013 Golf wagon (next-to-last year of the Mk 5 platform) has been flawless.

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
You may be right about new production models, but the 7 will have been built for a long while before we see it, seems the bugs should be worked our pretty well at that point. So far I have been in the TSX wagon for 2 months and am OK with it, but missing the sportwagon as overall I think it was a better designed/functional vehicle. At least by the time the dust settles on the 7's release and prices have relaxed, I will have a nice Acura to swap out with what I am hoping(praying may be a better word) to be a AWD diesel wagon Alltrac????

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You may be right about new production models, but the 7 will have been built for a long while before we see it, seems the bugs should be worked our pretty well at that point. So far I have been in the TSX wagon for 2 months and am OK with it, but missing the sportwagon as overall I think it was a better designed/functional vehicle. At least by the time the dust settles on the 7's release and prices have relaxed, I will have a nice Acura to swap out with what I am hoping(praying may be a better word) to be a AWD diesel wagon Alltrac????

The Mk VI and CR diesels had been around in Europe for a while too before we saw them. Yet we still had issues with HPFP failures and the intercooler. The former largely related to US fuel quality issues, the latter due to N. American emissions (related to the low-pressure EGR).

Unfortunately you can't extrapolate European experiences to N America. The emission controls are too different (but that may end if Europe tightens up NOx regs).

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
apart from a cooked turbo(driving style's fault) my 09 jsw has been relatively problem free. the differences to the next version appear subtle so i'd like to hold out for an awd version otherwise it seems like a lateral move. i'm a bit concerned that my local dealership claims the mk 7 wagon will be 'a bit more expensive' than the outgoing model. i wonder what 'a bit' translates to? darned scary dealership talk:eek:

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
That price increase would be a surprise, the grand theory of the MQB is cost efficiency based on the commonality of the core of the vehicle across models. I would assume if it has new offerings as it relates to luxury etc, that will increase the price, but in theory the base should not increase in price.