Minor Improvement - AHU MKII GTI gets BV43, Ralle FMIC etc...

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Talked with Frank - Injectors are going back for a little work. Old set back in...

And my 3 Bar MAP sensor PCB's arrived: :)

So I assembled and installed one. MORE BOOST!!! :eek: :D

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Now properly fueled. :D

All I can say is: Pants... meet Sh** :eek:

Working with Mike to iron out the tune now - Almost have the boost control reigned in.

Need to slap the cam on it and see what the smoke is like.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Now properly fueled. :D
All I can say is: Pants... meet Sh** :eek:
Working with Mike to iron out the tune now - Almost have the boost control reigned in.
Need to slap the cam on it and see what the smoke is like.
Ask Rich about those injectors.... He was running that set of mine when his beetle ran the 13.607 quarter. :eek:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Ask Rich about those injectors.... He was running that set of mine when his beetle ran the 13.607 quarter. :eek:

That's good to hear! :D Thanks for all this help! Here is a bit of smoke for you. The R520's are just the fuel this thing needs! This is WOT in 4th for a bit followed by a little more WOT. :D

http://youtu.be/UW3vHdGc6ag

And Mike is getting this tune dialed in very nicely. This BV43 seems to be a little different animal than the Garrett stuff we normally see around here. I'm quite impressed with it so far.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
This is the first time I've read this thread and I must kick myself for having neglected it and give my utmost compliments!!!

I kinda only wished you would have gotten and installed the SDI intake manifold as well:

26 PSI will clear the smoke right up!

And as for possible future fueling mods, at the very least go to a complete automatic A4 pump. You should find that the shudder disappears completely! Or.... ditch the VE pump altogether.............

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
mmm tdi commonrail mk2... that would be very droolworthy....

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the first time I've read this thread and I must kick myself for having neglected it and give my utmost compliments!!!

I kinda only wished you would have gotten and installed the SDI intake manifold as well:

26 PSI will clear the smoke right up!

And as for possible future fueling mods, at the very least go to a complete automatic A4 pump. You should find that the shudder disappears completely! Or.... ditch the VE pump altogether.............
That was my SDI mani - I didn't run it because it interferes iwth the vacuum actuator quite a bit and I didn't wan to to mess iwth moving it. I sold the mani to a friend who will be putting it on his AHU with the GTB2056VL in a Lifted MKII Golf Syncro conversion. :eek:

26PSI? Do you have any information to support this turbo having the ability to survive 26PSI for extended piriods of time? I would love to run more boost. :D

An 11MM IP would be nice - It's on the list behind the 300x25MM rotors + Boxster Calipers & VR 5-lug (3 deg more caster, lower ball joint, cool sway bar) that it's going to be getting soon. I think a 6-speed (02A/J add-on kit), and Peloquin are in line ahead of the IP too. :eek:

mmm tdi commonrail mk2... that would be very droolworthy....

And as far as ditching VE - I would love Common rail (watching the threads), And as awesome as a common rail AHU would be - that's for another motor, another time. In fact I would hope that next time I spend this much time building a TDI it will be a 16V 2.0 Common rail. I Just hope there are steel pistons available for the 2.0 TDI with a shorter deck-to-pin height and longer rods. Maybe a GTB2260VKLR and Haldex... This would of course need to be in a MKII. There is a 5.9 Cummins/Kaiser M715 conversion in line before that though. And I want to resurrect my lifted TDI MKII. ;)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
That was my SDI mani - I didn't run it because it interferes iwth the vacuum actuator quite a bit and I didn't wan to to mess iwth moving it. I sold the mani to a friend who will be putting it on his AHU with the GTB2056VL in a Lifted MKII Golf Syncro conversion. :eek:
Ah I see.

26PSI? Do you have any information to support this turbo having the ability to survive 26PSI for extended piriods of time? I would love to run more boost. :D
I'll check. But BV43 doesn't tell me what compressor it has. Are there any indications whether it's e.g. a 2080D? The picture of the plate on the compressor housing doesn't not give me the needed info.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
To the best of my Googlefu ability it appears to be 1880DXF

Edit:

Yes it's :
BV43-1880DXF419.18BXAXC

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Does my ear have it correct that your have a taller than stock 5th gear? .681? :)

Edit: just read the thread in your signature. .622 even! Nice!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I agree. Get an 11mm auto pump on that thing! Also. Lift pump if not there already

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Does my ear have it correct that your have a taller than stock 5th gear? .681? :)

Edit: just read the thread in your signature. .622 even! Nice!
was also wonderin how long that 5th was :p

.622 - Correct. And I'm impressed that it still pulls once in 5th gear! You my notice when watching that video in HD that I get to 120 in the long straight. :D

I agree. Get an 11mm auto pump on that thing! Also. Lift pump if not there already
Maybe with the next T-belt change. Do you think R520 + 11MM IP may be a bit much? :confused: maybe 11MM IP + PP764?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Well, i prefer big pump big nozzle then dial the fuel to desired quantity.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
OK. :) Worries averted. :D I'm going to stick with the R520 think and maybe go 11mm down the road - unless CR becomes impossible to refuse. :eek:

And all the dents I had worked out a few weeks back made the car look so good - I'm going to have the tiny door dings done too. If anyone is interested and in NorCal - here is the GTG thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5715532-Miss-the-Paintless-Dent-Repair-Removal-day-Here-s-your-chance!&p=77754481#post77754481

Also - I went head-to-head with a friend in his 20th anniversary GTI and was able to toy with him quite a bit and even pass him. There was nothing he could do about it. :D

So I borrowed some DOT legal track tires (hooks up OK in 2nd with them) and did some pulls with VCDS. It seems to pull a consistent 7.0 sec 0-60 and 15.0 sec 1/4 mile. Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/oR0Uhzrsv9w

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick update:

took a bolt to the tire:

And a screw:

So I'm running around on some crappy plugs...

I guess I need to kick it in high gear and get the 5-lug stuff done. Made some progress on the Brake caliper carrier design - now ready to be milled:

And got some fresh code from Mike (TDTuning) to get the boost up a little more. :D

I will be taking it to the track next week to see how it does on the 1/4 mile. Traction will be a problem. :eek:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Nice bolt, I took a stick to the sidewall the other week.

Aren't those chip burners nice? :)

Are you pushing your chips in flush with the top of the sockets? I find a carpenters pencil works great for installing chips nice and evenly.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Which cars come with the bv43 turbo?
I'm not entirely sure which cars came with this turbo - it's from the 16V PD170 though. They can be found easily by the part numbers on the name plate. :)

Nice bolt, I took a stick to the sidewall the other week.

Aren't those chip burners nice? :)

Are you pushing your chips in flush with the top of the sockets? I find a carpenters pencil works great for installing chips nice and evenly.
Quite nice - I just push it in until it stops. :)

And 26PSI cleaned up the smoke a bit more... it's nice now. ;)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you push them flush to the top of the socket, its much easier to get them out.

I never intentionally requested 26psi out of mine, it sure ran that from time to time but sustained 24.5psi on a regular basis.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
If you push them flush to the top of the socket, its much easier to get them out.

I never intentionally requested 26psi out of mine, it sure ran that from time to time but sustained 24.5psi on a regular basis.
It's making 26 by 2500 RPM and it will spike a hair higher right there. I find that the BV43 can climb into surge quite easily in the 2K-2.4K RPM range - I bet that should be kept under control to prolong turbo life. It's been great working with Mike on the tune - that's some wizardry I don't entirely follow. :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What does the surge sound like that you're hearing? I never got any real surge as far as I could tell, I have spiked up to 30psi by 2000rpm before without abnormal noises. I always made 25psi by 2000rpm without anything abnormal. I would hear the SHHHHHHHH sound until just after 2000rpm but never anything more extreme than that.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
What does the surge sound like that you're hearing? I never got any real surge as far as I could tell, I have spiked up to 30psi by 2000rpm before without abnormal noises. I always made 25psi by 2000rpm without anything abnormal. I would hear the SHHHHHHHH sound until just after 2000rpm but never anything more extreme than that.
It's not a loud barking - rather fluttering chattering chopping sound. "chchchchc" :confused:

And your turbo is probably over 18" from the firewall while mine is only 1" from the firewall. I bet your car has more insulation on the firewall than you can find on my whole MKII. :eek: I am Mine also did the 30+ PSI spike by 2300 thing early in the tuning process and the turbo sounded pissed; not very loud though - I bet I couldn't hear it with the windows down at anything over 45MPH. I could even see the flutter as movement in the boost gauge when it happened at 29+ PSI and really low RPM (2K and bleow?). :eek: