How can I disable the alarm after using the key to get in?

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
My key fob on the Jetta works MOST of the time. I'll usually stand there until it locks because for some reason my driver's door won't lock with the door open. When the fob chooses not to work unlocking I would like to just use the key to open the door but the alarm goes off and disables the ignition. I have to sit in my car and push unlock until the fob starts working again. The fob has new batteries.

Is there anyway to disable the alarm after using my key to unlock the door?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Turn the key to "unlock" twice quickly? i didn't know ignition got disabled on an A3. Maybe the microswitch in your door latch is broken. If you lock the door with the key, does it activate the alarm?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Maybe the microswitch in your door latch is broken.
That's what I was thinking.

If you hold the key in the unlock position, do the windows roll down? If you hold thew key in the lock position, do the windows roll up? If no to one or both tests, there are a couple possibilities:
1) The microswitch in the door handle has failed OR
2) The connector in the door is disconnected OR
3) There are broken wires in the electrical pass thru at the door hinge

Tony

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
I bumped the unlock position twice and nothing happened; alarm still went off when I opened the door. I have manual windows so I wouldn't be able to say on the rolling up or down.

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
Haha yea, after doing some reading I'm glad I don't have one. I do have central locks. When the driver's door is open I cannot lock the driver's door; I can't even push the lock down. Everything else locks though. When I close the door I can lock it any way I want to.

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
Also, my alarm horn is disconnected so when I set it off all it does is flash the hazards. When the hazards are going off the ignition will not engage.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
With central locks...
1) hold the key in the lock position: The interior lock button should pull down.
2) hold the key in the unlock position: The interior lock button should push up.
3) In both cases you should hear the vacuum / pressure pump run. If not, 4) Repeat with both front door handles.
you may need to replace the associated inoperable door handle.

Tony

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
When I turn the key the interior lock button moves with it; they are directly connected. I don't have to hold the key to get the one I'm wanting to operate to move. I don't know on the holding it and unlocking the rest of the doors. I'll try tomorrow.